Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squier '51 - $99.99 - Get 'em before they are gone!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier '51 - $99.99 - Get 'em before they are gone!

"It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

FedEx is saying that mine was loaded on a truck this morning in Green Bay to be delivered today!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't resist... I ordered the black one to replace the one I parted a while back. How can you NOT get one for $99 shipped? I cannot see why they are discontinuing this guitar... perhaps for a Fender model upgrade?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

FedEx loaded mine on a truck last Thursday and I still haven't seen it. They're tracing it now. If they haven't located it by this Friday I'll have to file a claim and have them buy me another one. So much for instant gratification. I guess I should be happy that it's only a $99 cheapie guitar they lost instead of something more expensive and less easily replaceable. But still.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh man, that sucks! Hope they find it soon!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Oof. Sorry to hear that. I was in a little Mom and Pop place yesterday. They had a blonde '51 for $179. I didn't have the heart to tell them that MF was selling them for $99. The fretboard on that one did have some cool flaming though.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like they don't ship to Canada .. shame.

Post Thanks / Like

All right! My '51 finally got delivered this morning and it's waiting for me at home. I guess it's been riding around in the back of a FedEx truck these last few days. This is going to be one long day at work.

Post Thanks / Like

rob....you don't look well...you might be contagious...better go home!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, you're right... it's like this involuntary muscular thing... my left arm keeps curving upward and my fingers start wiggling, and my right hand starts moving up and down. And I keep hearing this noise in my head: weedly weedly weedly wee... I'd better take the day off.

Post Thanks / Like

yep...better go home...it's not going to get any better!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Got my '51 intact - it sounds and plays like my old one, but I feel this is a little less refined than the previous '51. The frets are a little sharp, the neck backside seems a little less finished than my initial one. and the control plate is screwed in crooked. Mild complaints - bit still suprising to me since my other Squiers didn't suffer from this.

I feel funny saying this, but the build quality feels a little lower than the Floyd Rose SX I just bought. The SX had loose screws, but the intonation was spot on. My 51 took a bit of tweaking to get the action right.

I guess the variances in these guitars are drastic like everyone says. Either way I'm happy I purchased it! She's got a great vibe and sound and is a blast to play!

It's getting its 1st gig next Saturday night as well as the new SX. Pics and HOPEFULLY sound clips to follow! (If I can figure out the recorder in time to do live recordings)

Post Thanks / Like

I think I may have gotten lucky with the one I got. The ends of the frets are a little sharp; when I get enough motivation going I'll gentle them down a little. But other than that the fit and finish are really nice, much better than my Squier strat.

All the praise that's been heaped on the '51 is true. $99 for one is an absurd bargain.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, count me in too. I just picked one up. I believe it will need a bit of tweaking, but everything works and it makes some pretty sweet tones. And it is just the twangy sort of thing I was looking for, but didn't think I could afford for a while. Whouda thunk such a thing for a hundred bucks?
    I will be asking some techo questions on needed adjustments in the proper forum, however, I am pretty dang pleased with it so far.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you like the '51. I just ordered a new bridge for it from GFS. I'm gonna replace the nut too.

It sounds awesome this thing.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

It does indeed. Even with no effects, straight into my crappy little solid state practice amp. Of course I'm getting a huge urge to get a decent amp now -- that $99 was deceptive.

Post Thanks / Like

After going over my new '51 it plays MUCH better than before. I forgot how much fun the twang can be with this guitar. Hell, it's got a ton more twang than my Squier Tele! SWEET axe!

Has anyone tried converting their '51 to a string-through setup? I'm very tempted to give it a go.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Squier '51 bridge conversion/upgrades

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    Has anyone tried converting their '51 to a string-through setup? I'm very tempted to give it a go.
    A bunch of people over at the Squier '51 Modders forum have done the conversion to string-through and they all pretty much agree that there isn't a noticeable change in tone. The conversion does however make the strings feel a little more stiff and harder to bend. They all pretty much recommend either swapping the saddles for the proper Graph Techs or swapping the whole bridge for the GFS bridge. If it was me, I would go the GFS route since the new bridge is only about $10 to $15 and it apparently makes a big difference in cleaning up all the buzzes and rattles produced by the cheap stock bridge.

Just my 2 cents ...
    -Nick
    Last edited by NPauly; November 21st, 2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: tyops, tpyos, typso ...
    My Gear ...
    Roland Micro Cube, Traynor YCV20WR
    Ovation Cedar Balladeer, "Super-cute" Fender Strat, Squier M-80

Post Thanks / Like

Ok now I want one but GC only has black ones and I want a blonde one and I can't order from MF because my wife will kill me and I still want the JV someday but I also want the Gibby R8 and my music room isn't started yet but I want the '51 cause I like toys and and and and.....

See what you guys do.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast