Thread: The what sounds good over these chords thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default The what sounds good over these chords thread.

Basic chord progression is A9 and E7, bridge goes to D7 E 7 C D G. (no real room for fills or solos in the bridge anyway) What sounds good? D Major with some notes from E major when it goes to the E7?
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

This isn't the answer you're looking for, but just play the chords and sing something you'd like to hear over the chords. Figure out what that is on the guitar. That's what I'd do, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's ultimately what it comes down to. And a good approach. I just like to get a little road map to expedite the hunt and peck whilst I find those notes though. But I will do just what you said and do some singing along and see what I come up with.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I would imagine you could also use the A major scale in most spots in the song.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You're speaking in a language I don't understand. Major who? :-) I wonder if he's related to General Failure who keeps reading my hard drive from now and then, LOL...But from those chords I recognize by name, I'd be starting on the middle strings on 4th and 5th fret and playing a mostly pentatonic pattern with 1/2 step down notes added, then go to 9th uppers and then 11th mids and pentatonics to add with some notes I think are called minor notes. Beats me. I greatly suck at this kind of stuff as I only play by ear. Hell I can barely read a tab :-) like when I was finding out how to play Hallowed be Thy Name for our cover just recently, I tried tabs but they just confused me and I found it easier to just listen to how it's played.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Basic chord progression is A9 and E7, bridge goes to D7 E 7 C D G. (no real room for fills or solos in the bridge anyway) What sounds good? D Major with some notes from E major when it goes to the E7?
    Another approach that might be helpful, Steve.
    Record the chord progression on your looper (or however you prefer), and play along w/ it.
    You might try playing some of the notes of each chord as the progression changes and see what you like best.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    You're speaking in a language I don't understand. Major who? :-) I wonder if he's related to General Failure who keeps reading my hard drive from now and then
    Funny stuff. Those military types can be difficult to work with, eh?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This isn't the answer you're looking for, but just play the chords and sing something you'd like to hear over the chords. Figure out what that is on the guitar. That's what I'd do, anyway.
    I rather like that idea. Not that I do much guitar soloing, but trying this approach might be interesting.

Good suggestion Eric!

Post Thanks / Like

if you're looking for the simplest approach, you can play A minor pentatonic (basic 5th fret A Box) on pretty much the whole thing - or A blues on most of it. You just probably don't want to make the A your tonal center on the bridge. You can always add chord tones from whatever chord you're on to that, but if you're drawing a blank on it, you can fall back on the ole' faithful 5th fret A pentatonic.