Thread: Pentatonic ideas - feedback pls :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pentatonic ideas - feedback pls :-)

Hey friends,

Try to prerpare/collect some licks and lessons for dvd recording this summer.
    i have recorded a short 1 minute video that I will delete from youtube within the next days again.

Would be great if you checked and let me know if this kind of playing pentatonics in circles is a) interesting, worth learning and b) what level is this? Would you say a guy who knows the 5 positions could us this stuff, or shoudl it be an intermediate player more? I know it's static playing, but that's best for lessons I think. Will put more emotion into the bending lessons and such.

Thanks for your time and letting me have a feedback...
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Would be great if you checked and let me know if this kind of playing pentatonics in circles is a) interesting, worth learning and b) what level is this? Would you say a guy who knows the 5 positions could us this stuff, or shoudl it be an intermediate player more? I know it's static playing, but that's best for lessons I think. Will put more emotion into the bending lessons and such.

Thanks for your time and letting me have a feedback...
    I'd think that this would be a more intermediate thing. The only suggestion I might make is to vary the note length a bit more instead of most notes being the same duration. Seems like it would be an interesting project, though! I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, looks like a very good practice thing and example of what you can do w/pentatonics. I agree it'd work well for intermediate players or even rather beginners who need a challenge, yet interesting enough for probably quite confident players too. You should make an example of how to play a similar thing over different root notes as separare parts and then as all them combined maybe?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jimi, I think you will need to clearly explain what the lesson in is about, both by talking and by providing tab/notation as well.

It is definitely at an intermediate level.

Good to see you get into video lesson work.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Great feedback guys, I will take all your
    points into consideration and improve for
    the final thing.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

That would be good stuff Jimi. Definitely not for rank beginners....but beginners with a bit of experience/knowledge/theory behind them could handle this too. So, not just for intermediate and above.

Justin Sandercoe, www.justinguitar.com, has a 2 DVD series out on the Minor Pentatonic scales that is very good.....if you're looking for ideas, etc on how to proceed with the material.

VEINS Renman does great teaching type stuff too for NEW material and could probably point out things NOT to do on a teaching video. The overwhelming, vast majority of videos for NEW material for beginner/intermediate level students are rife with teaching mistakes/errors that just frustrate the hell out of the people watching. VEINS and Justin are 2 who have got it down really good and make the learning enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see from watching what you are doing, that this is something that would be useful to me right now. I know pentatonic shapes and extensions, but sometimes am a bit random in how I use both the main pattern and its extensions. What your are doing would be useful to me in learning how to create melodic phrases. A bit of explanation of what you are doing, what notes you are emphasizing, and how it can be varied would be very useful to me for learning more tools to create with.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

VEINS, huh?

In general, explaining everything in detail is what my viewers ask for the most. Tab especially, is always asked for. On top of that, verbal explanations are very important of course. Also good idea to mention how and where people can learn more of the basics that are assumed they already know for a lesson.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much folks! This video here is just a way to
    keep ideas. The final product will contain explanation in German
    and tabs. We'll hopefully make an English synchronisation, too.
    We'll use 2 Canon hd5 cams for left and right
    hand filming. I will now collect licks and tricks until
    May. It's great receiving you input it helps me
    On the way...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    In general, explaining everything in detail is what my viewers ask for the most. Tab especially, is always asked for. On top of that, verbal explanations are very important of course. Also good idea to mention how and where people can learn more of the basics that are assumed they already know for a lesson.
    I think this is really good advice, because it's stuff I usually think. I suppose you would have a lot of experience with what people ask, huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I think this is really good advice, because it's stuff I usually think. I suppose you would have a lot of experience with what people ask, huh?
    Yes, I get a lot of emails and feedback all the time regarding my lessons. I learn from it too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jimi the status of your video is set to "Private" so no one can watch it unless you invited them directly. I would rather set it up on "Public" and delete it if you dont want it anymore on the Tube
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your ideas could help me with the ideas I am exploring on my other pentatonic thread I am sure.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson