Thread: Tube amphs, are some more "forgiving" than others?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Tube amphs, are some more "forgiving" than others?

Historical perspective: I have owned (and still own) two tube amphs. My first, my Peavey Classic 30, is warm, articulate and nice. My second is a vintage Fender Concert 4x10. It is also somewhat warm and nice, but is more "Fendery" in the highs and is voiced with less mid range.

After I got my Concert, my C-30 lived at work for a while, and got less use for a bit. But since I joined my new jam project, the C-30 has been my workhorse for that, as the Concert would be overkill.

Finally getting to the point: Since I have been using my Peavey more, I was reminded of my initial impression of the two amphs. The sounds above, and also that the Fender was less "forgiving". The Peavey picks up stray string noises and such as well, but the Fender demands cleaner technique from me or else I am punished it seems.

Do you find this to be true with different tube amphs? If so, can someone explain why?

I love both for different reasons. Each has its own characteristics. The 4x10 is more complex sounding, the Peavey 1x12 more direct, and easier to dial in at lower volume, and has that warmth. Fun to be able to play with each!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I think a lot of it has to do with the tube/speaker/pickups. In other words there are a lot of variables. What you are describing is why a lot of guys go to pedals to shape their tone. I think your fender is a 4/10 combo and probably has GTs in it. Fenders have always been known for their extreme cleans. A Marshall on the other hand has decent clean tones but is a little more forgiving on the clean channel. Of course we all know about the Marshall OD channels.
    So I would say that yes some amps are more forgiving. Fulltone has a pedal called a fat boost that thickens up the tone quite nicely on Fenders and single coils. I would say you can tweak your Fender with pedals etc. to get a "clean" yet forgiving tone.
    If you check out Gregory Hilden's videos he uses a Fender Vibrolux reverb which is a 4/10 but he always uses some sort of OD. He get excellent clean tones from any of the guitars he reviews
    Sorry I have no experience with Peavey but you seem to like that tone anyway.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZMAN View Post
    If you check out Gregory Hilden's videos he uses a Fender Vibrolux reverb which is a 4/10 but he always uses some sort of OD. He get excellent clean tones from any of the guitars he reviews

Vibrolux is a 2x10 amph.

SVL - The only differences I've been aware of are that some amps translate the electrical signal from the guitar more efficiently than others making them 'feel' different from each other. I've never found an amph that forgives my crappy playing.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, the overall touch sensitivity of different amp's is a fun thing to play around and explore with. It can really make the amp a larger part of your overall music-making experience which is one of the reason I always prefer an array of tube amps to a good modelling setup. Boss, and I'm sure others, have tried experimenting around with this - my GT-8 supposedly has an algorithm to change effects or effects levels depending on my picking attack . . . . I never tried it out though.

In my experience the least forgiving amps are the brighter, cleaner amps like my Traynor YCV-40, or Ampeg R-50H. This also seems to be 'amplified' if I'm playing at low levels, and most amps seem to become warmer and more 'forgiving' as I bring the output levels up.

Pedals will help and hurt also, as mentioned above. Some of them can help make the amp more forgiving and some will take your little mistakes and put them right out front fro everyone to hear. Not good!

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

Yea unless the fuzz or dist is on your(mine)mistakes will be amplified too!Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard people call AC30s "quick response" or something of that sort which supposedly makes them less forgiving. Honestly, I haven't the foggiest. Great playing can make even the crappiest gear sound awesome. Likewise crappy playing can make even the most awesome gear sound crappy.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

From my experience and understanding, class A amphs can be quite unforgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know about that Tig,My little 5 watt Supro is class A and is very warm,does not really need a dirt pedal,I can get sloppy and it covers up,now my Super Reverb,if I'm not damping good all the crap comes through like a blow horn(I can hear it,some people can't)I love that little Supro,you can turn back the tone on the guitar and get that old '50s fat distortion from tube,that sound is awesome on certain styles.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. I'm not sure, Sumi. Based on marnold and Tig's posts, I would think the always-on operation of class A amps would lead to a less forgiving amp, but I usually trust anecdotal evidence more than the theoretical. Is your experience with the Supro from playing it clean?

Where's tung when you really need him, anyway???
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Spudman;200427]Vibrolux is a 2x10 amph.

Yes I was thinking of the Super Reverb.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny that the Vibrolux should come up in this thread. It's one of the most forgiving amps I've ever played. The power supply in a BF or SF Vibrolux is quite weak and gives the amp a lot of "sag". An AC30 by comparison will just chuck it straight out front. A Marshall even more so. Please don't ask me about modern high gain amps
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

BTW, I'm just parroting what I've read. I can't say that I understand it much less have experienced it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think in my case, it is a combination of the factors Pedalbuilder mentions (the Concert has cleaner cleans than the Peavey), and Sumi hit it with his SuperReverb vs. his little 5 watter. The Peavey by comparison warms up and saturates a bit sooner than the Concert, and I think that makes a difference too.

@Markb, When I turn on the vibrato on the Concert, a feature at least the vintage Vibrolux shared, it is more forgiving sounding. That is probably the onboard effect covering up some stuff.

Interestingly, I often prefer the Concert without a drive pedal on, and with just the amph and the guitar, with a little verb, or the vibrato turned on. That is very nice clean sound that can have some nice warmth, and is much more complex and less direct and in your face than the 1x12 Peavey.

Interesting. Like I said, I love them both for different purposes.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Forgiving

It seems to me that a super clean amp will reveal your little and especially bigger mistakes very noticeably; whereas an overdriven high gain amp, with some reverb and possibly a little tremolo or rotary speaker sound, will immerse your little mistakes in it's, to some, own outstanding sound, wash of distortion, etc.

So, it's subjective I think, depending on who is the one doing the "forgiving".

If it is just you playing at home, you may find a particular amp or some overdrive and reverb to provide a richer and more rewarding and forgiving sound; or just that some amps simply seem to you to sound more forgiving.

On the other hand, if your playing is being listened to by others, some may not be so forgiving and actually be more critical and "unforgiving" when they watch you play thru a particular rig or
    wall of high gain distortion and feedback; suggesting that you are hiding your mistakes behind the amp and that "anyone could sound good with that rig". At the same time I might reply to the critic that I think the dude sounds great.

So I guess it's subjective and you have to decide for yourself if one amp is actually more forgiving, or if it is just a figment of your imagination.

To my ear some amps inherently sound more rewarding to play thru than others; but then again on any other given day a different amp might sound inherently more rewarding. This, being different than "being more forgiving", is to me an inexplicable phenomenon - I don't know if it has to do with my state of mind or what: it's like how playing a clean strat might sound so great one day, but yet on another day an overdriven humbucking guitar sounds so awesome, and captures my soul. But this is a different concept.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art