Thread: Minuteman Fans?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minuteman Fans?

There is a lot about living in Chicago that often seems less than ideal, and I often think about relocating, then something like this comes around, and I realize I would do so at a great cost.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago...nt?oid=3260315
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Minutemen are one of those bands I feel guilty about. I have Double Nickels on the Dime somewhere, but I've never given it much time. Similar to some other supposedly enlightened punk like the Libertines, I find it hard to spend a lot of time with it. Maybe someday.

Regardless, that's very cool that you get stuff like that in your hood. You going to go see them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I saw the Minutemen play at our skate park geez... 28 years ago! Time flies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You going to go see them?
    I am. Taking my daughter and a friend of hers as well. It's $5 for teens and goes off at 6pm, to allow for them to attend. The guitarist is a good friend, took private lessons from him for quite some time. Nels Cline as a guest vocalist!?!?! Too much good stuff to pass it up.

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

No band helps illustrate my case of the influence of "Free Jazz/New Music" on punk rock better than Minutemen.
    D. Boon was a highly influential guitar player for me.

Sounds like a challenging but interesting project for a cover band to take on. Enjoy the show Tio Kimo.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This looks cool!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I confess I'm not real familiar with the Minutemen. This guitarist leads an ensemble called "kill your idols", and for a while they were covering the bands of the SST label, and got into the minutemen catalog. I figure this is a great way to get immersed, as it's being presented by outrageously talented musicians, and serves a cause. Really looking forward to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    I confess I'm not real familiar with the Minutemen. This guitarist leads an ensemble called "kill your idols", and for a while they were covering the bands of the SST label, and got into the minutemen catalog. I figure this is a great way to get immersed, as it's being presented by outrageously talented musicians, and serves a cause. Really looking forward to it.
    Sounds like a good way to reverse engineer yourself into the Minutemen catalog.

One thing about their music, particularly in the case of Double Nickels on the Dime, is that there's a diversity of sound on it. Even if not all of the songs appeal to you, it's likely some of them may. Of course, most of their songs are rather short, so even if you don't like one, it's over quickly.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I like them.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Sounds like a good way to reverse engineer yourself into the Minutemen catalog.
    I must admit I do this regularly. Finding some cover and working my way back is a good way to go sometimes. I did a thread on that once.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

after all that I didn't make it out. Was "asked" to cover a shift at a Tavern I help out at.

Reports from the crew are that it was an amazing evening, as I expected it would be.