Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What is your weapon? - Page 3

View Poll Results: What's your weapon of choice

Voters
89. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stratocaster

27 30.34%
  • Telecaster

8 8.99%
  • Les Paul

18 20.22%
  • SG

4 4.49%
  • 335 style

5 5.62%
  • Pointy Shredder Guitar

4 4.49%
  • Steel String Acoustic

7 7.87%
  • Flying V

3 3.37%
  • Explorer

1 1.12%
  • Firebird

0 0%
  • Nocaster

0 0%
  • Other (must name in thread!)

12 13.48%
  • Slide Guitar (any kind set up strictly for slide will do)

0 0%
  • Nylon String Acoustic

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your weapon?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I put SG although I have never even owned one. But if I had to choose any factory guitar I could not mod that heavily, I suppose I would go get me an SG.
    Of factory guitars, that'd be small and handy and I'd know I can get what I like out of it. I'd mod the neck pup into twin single mode though. Or alternatively maybe a chambered Les Paul.

IF heavy modding is allowed, I'd get a strat which I'd re-shape and put in a proper pickup instead of those weenies, plus some other mods.

But, yeah, one for everything out of all basic 'classic' models---probably SG.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I chose Les Paul since my Washburn is 90% based on it, only better!
    +1

I couldn't decide since I also LOVE my 335 style guitar, but ultimately, if I'm walking out the door and can bring one guitar, it's the idol, with the split coils and a cube, I can sound like just about anything.

Ironically, I've really only been playing my Larrivee acoustic lately, as I've got a open mic coming up,and I'm trying to channel me some Amos Lee, but lets face it, we're all about the screaming solo's here most of the time
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    but lets face it, we're all about the screaming solo's here most of the time
    Heck yes. My frequency of screaming solos (and number of guitars and amphs that can produce said screaming solos) has increased exponentially since joining here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Pointy shredder guitar for me Jackson RR FTW!
    My gear:

Jackson RR3
    ESP/LTD M-200 - For Sale PM for details
    Monterey Stage Series Strat copy

Ibanez TBX150H Head + Cab

Like melodic, groovy metal? Check out my band Trinatyde on facebook/myspace

Post Thanks / Like

I put Les Paul although my Gordon Smith GS2 is more like a double cut-away Jnr. It's my only electric. I go through phases of playing my Dean acoustic more.
    Guitars: Gordon Smith GS2 electric, Dean Performer E acoustic
    Amps: Roland Cube 80x, Peavey Backstage 110
    Other: Korg Pandora 2, Zoom H4

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Sorry, didn't mean to discriminate, NWBasser! Of course any kind of bass is welcome in the poll!
    Well heck, if we're including basses...

Post Thanks / Like

That's a really tough one....but for me it's my Gretsch 6120 RHH.

Post Thanks / Like

Mahogany PRS Standard ... the babe of choice
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

love Strats and have a few (best ones I own are from the 70s...) also love Jazzmasters, like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEIagtnGMmA

Post Thanks / Like

Early 80's Peavey T-60 !!! Love the feel and versatility and the neck is just HOME! The only mods are vintage wound pickups and gibson speed knobs.

http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/...914111342a.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cebreez View Post
    Early 80's Peavey T-60 !!! Love the feel and versatility and the neck is just HOME! The only mods are vintage wound pickups and gibson speed knobs.

Except for the mods, yours is a dead ringer for my Theresa-- same color, same vintage, maple board.

Those pup covers aren't Gibson, where'd they come from? Also, did you do the pup swap? It's rare to see a T-60 with non-original pickups, especially from the era when those would've been toasters rather than rails.

Post Thanks / Like

96 strat for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

After my last rehearsal, I'm probably gonna play my Samick jazzmaster style guitar with P90s at an upcoming gig. Everyone keeps telling me how great that guitar sounds, and I gotta say, I dig the P90s. I'll also take my tele, because I love it, but I'll be darned if my lowly Samick isn't acting like a fine instrument. Here's a shot of them both (most of you have already seen this).

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First ever gig is in the books. Took both guitars pictured above. We did 3.5 hours, and I only used the Samick for one song. I just always end up back with the Tele, because it feels right and does eveything I want it to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    First ever gig is in the books. Took both guitars pictured above. We did 3.5 hours, and I only used the Samick for one song. I just always end up back with the Tele, because it feels right and does eveything I want it to do.
    Cool! 3.5 hours? That's a lot of playing. How'd it go?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Cool! 3.5 hours? That's a lot of playing. How'd it go?
    ^This!

Pics?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our band is layed out thusly:
    Jim: Band Leader, mainly keyboards, also bass, and guitar, and vocals.
    Other Jim: Drums. Very good, tasteful and keeps great time.
    Harry: Guitar and Bass, 50/50. Oldest member of the band. Played bass for Frankie Yankovic back in the day.
    Jared: Bass and Sax. FANTASTIC Sax player.
    Kelly: Vocals, Keyboard, Bass, Guitar. Great singer.
    Tim: Vocals, a little bit of guitar.
    Me: Vocals, guitar.

It went very well from a playing standpoint. Now, we did have chord charts, on music stands, which I understand is a big faux pas. I need them on about 1/3 of our songs, another 1/3 I need to glance at it before the song starts, and the other 1/3 I have down cold. There were times when one or more of us missed a key change or bridge, but we have 7 people, so we were able to power through. Nothing disastrous.

The crowd, such as it was, was a bit cold. Only 1 couple danced to any slow song (When a Man Loves A Woman, You Send Me). A few people came out and boogied for the Elvis Medley (Blue Suede Shoes and Hound Dog). There were not many people there most of the time. Ostensibly, it was a Halloween Party and an Eagles Club. I really had no idea what to expect. At one point, in our second set, there were a LOT of people there. But then we announced the winner of the 50/50 raffle and 90% of the people left. Seriously. It was ridiculous.

When we did get any applause, it was after "jam" songs. We did an Evil Ways/Light My Fire Medley where we traded solos for a long time that went over really well. Also did a Buffalo Springfield Medley, (For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul) which had an extended jam. And we got the most applause from the 1 original song we did, a super simple song in G, which consequently was my first solo break of the night. It was really freaky, I didn't even realize what I was playing. At one point, I thought. "Holy Sh!t that came out of my guitar, and it actually sounded pretty good".

We totally nailed Somebody to Love, we have a good female singer and Harry just really has the lead bits on that song down cold. Really awesome.

First set, I couldn't hear my vocals and I had 3 songs to sing (Bad Moon Rising, Brown Eyed Girl, and Monster Mash). I had to sing Monster Mash, and one of the keyboards was way wrong on the chord changes(right chords, wrong timing), and the band followed, so I kinda had to wing that one. Couldn't really hear myself anyways. Last set, I forgot the second verse for The Last Time so I just sang the first one again.

Another highlight was Rainy Night in Georgia, excellent sax solo in that one and we nailed all the bridges, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a successful first outing. I'm slightly amazed that you ever manage to coordinate practices with a 7-person outfit.

Anyway, congrats on your first real gig. I'd love to do that someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's tough. We average 1 rehearsal every 1.5 months.

I realized on Saturday that it also limits the potential places we could gig. We had a TON of equipment. We could never open for another band, or play after another band. Took 90 minutes to set up and 60 minutes to tear down and pack up. 1 minivan, 2 SUVs, and 2 cars FULL of gear. That's the double edged sword as it were. We have a sweet PA system, floor stands for the big PA speakers, several floor monitors (which we did not hook up for lack of space), a Peavey 400w bass amp, that also outputs to an enormous old Fender 2 x 15 cab. Mics, mic stands, 2 guitar trees, 6 guitar stands, I mean, a sick amount of gear. Harry brought 7 guitars (lol) he took 3 home before the gig though, thankfully, 3 keyboards, keyboard amps, guitar amps, 2 rack processor thingies for god knows what. I just play my tele through a tuner pedal, a Lovepedal AMp50 and my Pro Jr., but even then I have 2 guitars and I also brought my Peavey Classic 30 for back-up (left that out in the minivan though).

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast