Thread: Favorite guitar tone in a song

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Almost all of the last 3 albums Andy Timmons recorded have that perfect sound. Woody, clear, sparkling tones, overdriven but articulated. That's what SRV and Hendrix initiated soundwise and Timmons carries on that torch, although he's not the most well known player. I picked a live clip, because it shows best what I mean :-)

"A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Santana's playing always takes me to another place.

Last edited by guitarhack; February 21st, 2011 at 01:38 PM. Reason: edit for missing video

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post

I think this should help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post

+1000! I experience Europa viscerally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Almost all of the last 3 albums Andy Timmons recorded have that perfect sound. Woody, clear, sparkling tones, overdriven but articulated. That's what SRV and Hendrix initiated soundwise and Timmons carries on that torch, although he's not the most well known player. I picked a live clip, because it shows best what I mean :-)
    I only discovered him maybe a year ago from the Mesa Boogie website, but yeah I agree -- I love that tone. Makes me want to go buy a Mesa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post

I dig this. Lots of sonic flash, without the sonic showboating, if that makes sense. Thanks for sharing,
    Nice thread, Eric
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, a lot of variety here. It's pretty hard for me to decide, there's so many I like.

In high school it was Van Halen,

And I've always loved fuzz with wah pedals. There's band called The Oxford Circle that had one album of covers. I LOVE the sound, but couldn't find a youtube vid of what I wanted. Starting at about 32 seconds.

I like reverb drenched stuff like Chris Issak's Wicked Games,
    Here's Ashley Cleavland with guitarist Kenny Greenberg

I also love resonator (Dobro-style) and almost anything with a slide. Music starts at 45 seconds

Acoustic guitar gets to me also. I'm sure I could keep going.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001