Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Oh so new

Thread: Oh so new

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oh so new

I'm just learning to play guitar for the first time. After an epic 3 months of guitar playing, I can handle "Silent Night."

I know you're impressed.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that I picked off of eBay for $300. It's a beautiful thing. I just wish that I could play it as well as it deserves to be.

I'm learning from a guitar tech that's been playing for 30 years as well as from a "Learn Guitar Today" book. I'm thinking of suing them for the "today" part of their title. Actually it's a decent book that has kept me interested and not gotten me frustrated.

I'm really interested in playing slide guitar and generally any of the bends, slides and similar sounds. When you realize that I was trying to decide between guitar and cello, you might understand the sound that I like. Despite the cello and bluesy slide references, my interests are mainly rock.

I'll be quite happy when I get to the point that I can play Dire Straits, "Brothers in Arms."

My favorite guitar pick is my cut up credit card.

Post Thanks / Like

This is friendly place, and as a newbie myself, can attest to that fact regardless of experience or present ability (of which I have neither). I have found a of ton help and info here and the past posts are full of links and such. If you did not find your way here thru Roberts site, definately check it out. His link is at the end of all his posts; video lessons, gear info, it's great. So welcome aboard and lookin forward to hearing slide rendition of silent night.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Mikul

Great to have you here. Enjoy yourself.

Playing with a cut up credit card is a good thing because around here if you have credit you'll get talked into spending it on more gear. Cut up the rest of your cards and you'll be safe.

If you don't have any yet you may want to get some heavy guitar picks. The sound and control is much better with a heavy pick than with a credit card.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Mikul! This is the place for you!

Spudman is a funny dude and he's right. Cut up all your credit cards and you'll be safe.

Have fun,
    Robert
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome mikul....i think you will like it here

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Welcome Mikul! This is the place for you!

Spudman is a funny dude and he's right. Cut up all your credit cards and you'll be safe.

Have fun,
    Robert

Yes, welcome Mikul! I also am a newbie. It is a helpful and fun place here in the Fret. Also, be sure to check out Robert's Dolphinstreet site. Very, very helpful info and video lessons there.

Cheers,

Steve
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Mikul! dont give up its a slow process to learn an instrument but well worth it. Right not you have found your Brothers in arms and with persistence you will play it! BTW THAT is one of my favorite DS songs very touching song for me lots of feeling.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to TheFret, Mikul. We all begin somewhere, and "Silent Night" is as good a place as any! Many knowledgeable and helpful people here that are more than supportive of new players.

That's good advice about the credit cards, though....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, Mikul. We are all beginners with some aspect of guitar playing. Ask any question and most times someone will point you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If you don't have any yet you may want to get some heavy guitar picks. The sound and control is much better with a heavy pick than with a credit card.
    I agree with Spudman that heavy pick is the way to go for electric guitar playnig. It may feel awkward at first but you will soon find that you won't want to play with any other kind. I use Dunlop Jazz III red picks. Some people find these too small, and I believe Dunlop makes a bigger version of this pick now.

aeolian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikul
    I'm just learning to play guitar for the first time. After an epic 3 months of guitar playing, I can handle "Silent Night."

I know you're impressed.
    Welcome Mikul.. I would be impressed! let's hear ya... this is the place to be.. very supportive group.. no ego.. just guitars.. I hope you have a credit card that is not cut up? pssssst... this place will have you buying stuff and more stuff..heh.. and it's all good!!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to The Fret and welcome to the wild and wonderful world of guitar!
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

beware of things like G.A.S. now!

welcome man!