Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best new bands/musicians of the last decade?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best new bands/musicians of the last decade?

I've been on a bit of a quest to catch up with the current state of things in recorded music instead of wallowing in the safe places of music I've always liked. I'm pleasantly surprised to find that there is a (thus far) endless supply of great music being produced lately . . . I find something I really, really like every couple of days and I'm kind of a picky fellow.

So what are everybody's favorite new or new-ish bands (having formed in the last decade or so) or musicians?

Here are some of my recent discoveries (probably not new to everyone, but new to me):

Carla Bozulich
    Delta Spirit
    Blitzen Trapper
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
    Howlin' Rain
    . . . more to come . . .

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Pedals: Too many to list - 90% of them of my own making.

Visit me on the webz: pedalbuilder.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am partial to: Phase Reverse: http://www.phasereverse.com/fr_home.cfm. Their site streams their music which helps my day go a little faster.

Post Thanks / Like

Please let this be a long and fruitful thread... I've long been burned out in the search for great new/semi recent music that I often am required to pay for when there is so much from past decades to still discover that is free/public domain, and still kicks butt all over the newer breeds. Even insightful kids say the 'old stuff' is so much better, and they only know the tip of the long gone iceberg. Music blogs are a terrific source for mining music gold, thank god for the www, no matter how evil it is!

As I type, our PUBLIC SERVICE politicians from all sides are quickly trying to kill internet freedoms, don't let them. Pay attention, be aware, and actively fight the oppressive might.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a few places I turn to to find good newly released music. Although you'll see the word 'progressive' often, they still review other artists as well.

There really is a lot of high quality music out there right now, probably more than ever, but it does take some effort to find it. Follow a lot of bread crumbs and you will be well rewarded. What I did was, when I would read reviews and the reviewer would say that the band sounded like 'so and so' I would also check out 'so and so'. I have discovered some truly great music doing this.

1. www.dprp.net the Dutch Progressive Rock Pages. They do Concert, CD and DVD reviews and archive them. Links to the band's music are usually included.
    2. www.progressiveears.com Reviews, interviews and a discussion forum
    3. www.progarchives.com Reviews, interviews and links
    4. www.seaoftranquility.org Reviews, interviews and links
    5. www.rocktopia.co.uk Reviews, interviews and links

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of relatively new bands I've been listening to are The Randy Rogers Band and The Band of Heathens. Both are Texas Country/Americana.

Post Thanks / Like

John 5 makes some great instrumental music if you are into that kind of thing... I sure as hell dig it.
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a few I can mention, but they're mostly doom-ish and nothing earthshattering - Witch, Earthless, Lance Lopez, Fu Manchu, Kyuss, Nebula, Place Of Skulls (Christian), the new Leafhound, High On Fire, Acid King, Spirit Caravan.

Post Thanks / Like

A couple of new(ish) ones for me:
    Rodrigo y Gabriela (flamenco, classical, metal--no, that's not a typo)
    The Sword ("stoner" metal, even though I don't necessarily like or agree with that label)

If you go back a little further (1999 for the founding of both these bands) I'd also include the power metal bands:
    Dragonforce
    3 Inches of Blood
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Oz Noy.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbuilder View Post
    Delta Spirit
    +1

Thank goodness somebody else knows Delta Spirit. They made my top 10 albums last year.

Other bands for me:

The Budos Band
    The Black Keys
    Sleigh Bells
    The Thermals
    The Ergs (no longer together)

And if, like the Rev, we go back to 1999, I'd include Explosions in the Sky.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff so far - keep 'em coming!

Through R_of_G's mention of 'The Budos Band' I just found Daptone Records . . . wow. A real treasure trove if you like soul (or if you like good music, really). Picked up Charles Bradley's new LP, can't wait to get some of that vinyl in the mail!

- Robert

Guitars: 1977 Gibson S1, Fender 50's Classic Player Edition Stratocaster (MIM), Fender American Deluxe HSS Stratocaster, Lonestar Tele, Yamaha FrankenGuitar (you could call it 'modded' but it just looks broken), Agile AL-3000M Thru-Neck, Agile Valkyrie 24, Peavey T-25, Xaviere XV-550, Xaviere XV-500

Amps: R-50H Reverberocket, Vintage Modern 2266, Twin Reverb, Blues Junior, YCV-40, Hot Rod Deville, Bassman Ten, Valve Junior, Lectrolab R700C, VS65R, Powerblock, GX212R, A small army of vintage Harmony's and similar amps

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedalbuilder View Post
    Through R_of_G's mention of 'The Budos Band' I just found Daptone Records . . . wow. A real treasure trove if you like soul (or if you like good music, really). Picked up Charles Bradley's new LP, can't wait to get some of that vinyl in the mail!
    Daptone is one of the coolest labels around. In addition to Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings and the Budos Band, some of the lesser known Daptone artists are solid as well.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got that Charles Bradley LP in the mail . . . fantastic!!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Oz Noy.
    Man - this guy is great! It's not really the kind of music I'd put on the ol' turntable and drink a beer too, but it's really good stuff. Good working music, actually, nice to have on the headphones while typing out test cases . . . I'm always really jealous of jazzy guitar players. Rock, blues, pop, metal - all of those things I can see whats happening and I get it. I may not be able to do it, but I see how they did it and I typically understand. Jazz - I'm lost.

- Robert

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    There really is a lot of high quality music out there right now, probably more than ever, but it does take some effort to find it.
    glad to hear that others feel this way.

another site that is a great source of new music, as well as unique performances by some tried and trues is Daytrotter. I find a ton of stuff on there that stays with me.

That said, they don't often get into straight ahead Rock. If that's your cup of tea, I think these guys are easily in the top tier of new Rock bands.
    Rose Hill Drive. Seen 'em 2x. 300 person club in Chicago and at Austin City Limits. 2 brothers and a cousin on drums. Both times they had every attendee by the throat and would not let got. No Holds Barred? uh, yeah.

"It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

Crooked Still. I heard this band live recently. Love 'em.

Guitars: Charvel/Jackson CSM-1G, DeArmond M-75, DeArmond Starfire Special, DeArmond S-73, Epiphone Collegiate UK, Squier 51, Michael Kelly Patriot Custom, Harmony Sovereign, Taylor 310, Takamine 12 string, SX thinline, Fender MIM Strat, Ibanez JTK30,
    Amps: Earth Sound Research G-2000 Super Guitar head into Avatar G212H cab, Fender Sidekick 20 Chorus, Peavey Classic 20, Peavey Classic 30, Peavey Express 112, Fender Super Champ XD, Vibro Champ XD
    Effects: Digitech EX-7, Digitech RP-250

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Andreas Varady, 13 year old jazz guitarist

Yet another gifted young player to make us old farts look talentless by comparison!

He is featured in the April Guitar Player magizine.
    With Martin Taylor...

Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

My SoundClick -- Rubber Band -- Jazz Trio

--Quebec made 1978 Norman B-30 , Martin Dc 15E , Suzuki Archtop
    -- Fender Start Reissue 57 , Ibanez AR 300 , Peavy Falcon ,Xaviere Xv600,
    -- Fender Telecaster , Charvel_Jackson , Framus Lapsteel
    --Rc boost,Ts9 ,Coolcat-ToD,GGG Fuzz Face, Boss Ce2 , Rc Booster ,Tone driver , Boss dd2 , Boss Gt8 (effects _effects loop)
    --Amp:Traynor Ycv40 wr -- Blackstar HT5-- Car :Toyota Tercel 1999..

/ `--'(
    < [] []////////|:::-)
    \_.--.(

Post Thanks / Like

Type in - desert sessions - at yt to find many other quality bands like Avon

Post Thanks / Like

Default So old they're always new...

Dickie and Co. delivered the fresh goods to the very end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast