Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Rockin' NGD - Epi Korina

Thread: Rockin' NGD - Epi Korina

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rockin' NGD - Epi Korina

So with the impending large tax return enroute I decided to pickup a new guitar. One I've had my eye on for awhile, but didn't want to spend $550 on it.

Got my GC president's day 15% off coupon and knew the time was right. Went to GC after work and played it and it was everything I'd hoped for. Light, comfortable body shape, smooth neck that's a bit thicker than what I typically like but it felt comfortable , the sound is great in all positions - this is one case where the wood really seems to be a significant difference. Warm and thick in the neck, tight with a nice but not over-trebly in the bridge.

GREAT NGD - very happy.

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I've always liked the African Limba (a.k.a. Korina) Explorers. That one is on my list for future acquisitions. Very nice grab, Programr! Happy New Guilar Day!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Super looking guitar! Congrats on the new acquisition.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! That is really nice. I had one along time ago. My drummer left it with me for a year. It was his. I really liked it. How does she play?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice! Congratulations on the new axe, progrmr. I've always thought the korina explorers were the best looking.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I had the exact same axe...only, could not resist modding it some:

I put a JB at the bridge and a 59 neck (tho here it still has the original.

Also installed an EMG PA-2 which isn't shown here either...and spraypainted all hardware and the picguard black, put in black Schaller locks.
    Oh yeah and a Gibson TP-6 fine-tune tailpiece to boot, although I had to file it a little to get it to fit. Can't locate photos of it in the shape I sold it off, though. It was quite nice, better than a gibson one I tried when I bought it. Nice and light too, just too big for me.

I was sure at first it was one block of wood, but they're not, it's got a very well installed laminate top and back; you really have to know what to look and a magnifying glass for to see it's not one piece. Still, it's likely korina all the way inside the body as well. Or whatever wood it ultimately is, I don't know, many people say it's some entirely different stuff under the laminates&you can't expect real korina at the price point; nevertheless it works fine.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Great guitar. There's only one thing I'd immediately do, which is exchanging the nut against a real bone nut.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I love those korina explorers. Rawk!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looks cool! Congrats!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet guitar!

That's one I'd definitely consider myself. I do like the explorers and that one's pretty sweet.

Sounds like you got a winner!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats progrmr! Looks great. I've never owned an Explorer. I'll prolly get round to it some day though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd like one again, but it'd have to be a smaller version. Maybe I'll make my build Exprorer-shaped at least more or less. I'm just too lean a guy for an explo, it looks ridiculously long on me...plus I kept banging it on the walls when I played it around the house.

But no question, Explos really do look cool...
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.