Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Gibson ohh Gibson....another big laugh...

Thread: Gibson ohh Gibson....another big laugh...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gibson ohh Gibson....another big laugh...

Look at this. Gibson produces the Alex Lifeson sig, which starts at "just" 6K. Get a sigend one for another 3K.....

Heh? Sorry, but this is so stupid. 3k for an autograph?

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Elec...ul-Axcess.aspx

It all stops making sense.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a huge fan of Alex and Rush but if I were the type to pay money for autograph's, it wouldn't be on a guitar.......it would be on one of his checks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Damn...I never understood it about autographs in the first place. I was once given a baseball cap with some famous dude's autograph and they said it's like worth a few tenners minimum now and in 10 years up to hundreds...but luckily it washed right off from ruining the looks of the hat ;-)
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

It only makes sense inasmuch as enough people have enough spare cash to buy it. Gibson charges what they do because people will pay it.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kind of surprised to see a LFR instead of an OFR at that price point. Seriously Gibson, for $6K, I expect the real thing. Not that I'm in that income bracket anyway, but just sayin'.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    It only makes sense inasmuch as enough people have enough spare cash to buy it. Gibson charges what they do because people will pay it.
    This is basically my stance on it too. The sucky part is that I'd guess there's more than one person who 'buys' this with their credit card. That kind of screws everything up.

If/when I get a more expensive LP, I've already kind of concluded that it probably won't be Gibson, just because I feel like I couldn't afford it. So be it; there are many other nice guitars out there.

If people want to pay $3k for an autograph, that's still up to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Every time I see one of these threads I'm afraid to open it...I know that whatever I see will only make me dislike Gibson more even though I want to like them. Seems like all they do is put out sig guitars that the common player will never be able to enjoy, or even want too - I mean, seriously, how much more guitar can you get for $6K over one that costs $3K?? And 3K for an autograph? Makes me sick to my stomach.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In general, it appears that Gibson is just trying to keep up with PRS's Private Select pricing. Fender has some outragious pricing for their Custom Shop relec and signature guitars, too.

This instance is just an LP Access with "signature" marketing hype. Most signature models are about the same thing: marketing. Most aren't anything more special than the original model. Occasionally, a signature is a copy of a guitar the famous person had modded, which helped define their unique tone. I don't see spending extra if I can mod a stock guitar for just a few bucks.

3K extra for an autograph? Why???
    I've met a fairly large number of famous people from Mercury 7 astronauts to sports stars and movie actors, and have yet to ask for an autograph. I just don't get why someone's signature is so special. Sure, an old baseball signed by Babe Ruth and the winning Series team is worth something, but that is history. A Hendrix guitar is worth hundreds of thousands now, but we're talking the real thing, not some over priced copy.

Does this guitar's value go up in value when Alex dies some day? Will someone later buy it for 10 times the original price? Not likely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah. My take on prices:

120 bucks buys you a good used practice axe
    350 buys you a great axe that can be used professionally. I have a few of these, and they can be superb players.

450 you can put together a great axe, all pro level, all my current axes are about here.

Past that, you start adding visuals and reliability, resale value and extreme gigworthiness/superb hardware
    I could see myself paying up to a thousand (dollars) for a really good instrument that would have superb finishing and all, IF I had excess money.

Maybe 1500 for a truly exceptional guitar with absolutely best possible parts and woods and impeccable finish with beautiful woods and everything.
    That's about what I paid back in the day for my Les Paul Standard and it was arguably worth it too.

But, I seriously can not see how anything could be worth more than that, really...it's no longer nothing to do with anything but image and brand and ideals and such.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Does Gibson ship to Dubai?
    There are literally hundreds of gold and platinum plated luxury and sports cars there.

Outside of a few Manhattan condos overlooking The Park, or Beverly Hills, I don't see much of a big US or Canada market for pricy new guitars.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I'm kind of surprised to see a LFR instead of an OFR at that price point. Seriously Gibson, for $6K, I expect the real thing. Not that I'm in that income bracket anyway, but just sayin'.
    I didn't check the specs. That's ridiculous.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    It said something about Graphtech Ghost system, which my uber-quick (and not thorough) search indicates is a piezo system. Is that a possible explanation for why it's licensed, not original?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Um, I dunno, why could a licensed Floyd be even better than the original?
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

I thought Gibby already had a Lifeson siggy ES 339??

..or was it a 335??

At any rate, from what I remember, it was stupid expensive too.