Thread: New guy "Dean" from Muskoka Ontario

Post Thanks / Like

Default New guy "Dean" from Muskoka Ontario

Hello all! I am new to this forum. Glad to be aboard!

I am 53 yrs old and have been playing guitar for about 40 years. I used to have many, many guitars, but have settled on one. A left handed '71 gibson SG standard. If you follow Gibson's history, you'll know that this was a crappy year for gibsons. I guess the necks were breaking at the body joint on a lot of SG's so they removed the neck angle, made it completely straight - like a tele, and to make matters worse, put the control cavity on the front instead of the back. However, the neck is completely awesome on this thing and many years ago I ( gulp ) installed a whammy on it that works extremely well.

Recently I got into building my own guitars and have built a jazz archtop, a Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion replica, and a Gibson Les Paul TV replica. All lefty's like me.

I use an old Musicman RD50 amplifier.

That's it folks!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dean and welcome aboard.

That sounds like an interesting model LP. I'm not familiar with it at all. I'd love to see it if you have any photos of it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dean: Another fellow Cannuck. I live in St. Catharines. What part of Muskoka are you located? Of course we have been in your area for summer vacations. I am also an SG owner. I have a 1968 Special, a 2007 Epi G400, and I just bought a 2004 SG standard last Friday.
    I really hadn't noticed the 71s were any different. Now I do. To say the least I like SGs but I have lots of other Gibbies and Fenders.
    Welcome aboard.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome to The Fret, Dean. Plenty of Canadians here. Lots of other good people from around the world as well.

I'm sure you'll get requests for photos of the guitars you have built.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Dean! I'm in Alberta.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello There ,Welcome et Bienvenue..

Blaze

Frogie from Quebec ..

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Dean.

I'm a new guy here as well and have found this to be a pretty friendly bunch.

Post Thanks / Like

Greetings from Vancouver, BC! Welcome to The Fret!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Dean, and Welcome!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Hi Dean and welcome aboard.

That sounds like an interesting model LP. I'm not familiar with it at all. I'd love to see it if you have any photos of it.
    Spud-- I bet you are familiar with it. I think Dean's referring to a Les Paul Special (or perhaps Junior), in TV Yellow. Although we can't tell from his post whether the one he made is a single cut or double cut.

Dean-- welcome! There are lots of Canucks here. And let's see pics!