Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audiiton and a new band

Post Thanks / Like

Default Audiiton and a new band

Hello fellow fretters.

I have bit of news on my musical path. A couple of weeks ago I found a CL ad looking for a bass player and was impressed by their web-page and music. So I sent in my reply hoping to get an audition.

I soon got a reply from the dummer and set up an audition.

Long story short, I brought my in my fretless and played a few of their songs with them. We seemd to click pretty well and they had good beer.

After they completed auditions for some other bassists, they wrote back that they loved my playing and wanted me to join.

I gladly accepted.

They play quite a variety of blues, rock, folk-rock(?) and generally grooving music which really appeals to me.

The website is www.themediocresband.com

The drummer sent me an e-mail today suggesting a bass solo in the set. I'm rather ambivalent about that because it could be fun or it could be a lot of boredom for the audience. I'll have to stew that one over a bit.

I thought the band name was a bit funny.

If it doesn't snow too much here, we'll have our first full practice on Thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news! I hope things work out well for you. Keep us posted!
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! I hope it turns out to be fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on the new gig, NWBasser.

I checked out their MySpace page and from the selections there they sound like a fun group.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great! It's really nice to be able to drop into an already established band..sometimes. Of course, good beer can make all the difference in the world. I'm excited to hear how it progresses.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Congrats NWB!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

That's awesome, Jason. Does this mean you're a real working musician now? Which song does the drummer think a bass solo would be good? Hope it's a great experience for you!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and good luck.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome! I've never had a successful audition. Keep us updated -- I think the soap-opera band stories are fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Awesome! I've never had a successful audition.
    How'd you get the church gig?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Keep us updated -- I think the soap-opera band stories are fun.
    Indeed. All part of being in a band. I really want to write up a personal band history, if only for myself, one day. So much so that I even have a title for this book that will most probably never exist: "I Was a Middle-Aged Volkswagen (And Other True Stories)."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad View Post
    How'd you get the church gig?
    Uh...I played for free and mentioned a diminished 7th chord in passing. I think that was enough for the guy to assume I was good enough for their needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    That's awesome, Jason. Does this mean you're a real working musician now? Which song does the drummer think a bass solo would be good? Hope it's a great experience for you!
    "Working musician" is a bit of a stretch. I don't see any paying gigs in the near-term anyway.

At this point, it's hard to say where or even if a bass solo will happen. For me, it has to be arrived at to fit in with the overall band feel.

I fully understand that a typical bass solo is a good way to clear a room quickly! I'm no Victor Wooten either.

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news, Jason!

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats man have fun as for that solo always fun funk in G.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    Congrats man have fun as for that solo always fun funk in G.
    Good idea Maxi! I do like to funk around in G.

I'm not sure why, but playing funkiness seems to work well around G major. Maybe it's just a comfortable part of the neck to move around on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NWBasser View Post
    Good idea Maxi! I do like to funk around in G.

I'm not sure why, but playing funkiness seems to work well around G major. Maybe it's just a comfortable part of the neck to move around on.
    You maybe right about the part of the neck. But when I was stealing licks I mean enhancing my skills in the 80's it seem like all my favorite players had a killer riff/groove in G.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Tonight should be interesting.

After two of the rhythm guitarists scheduled to audition flaked out at the last minute, we'll be checking out one guy.

One of the respondents (hopefully not the guy showing up tonight) wrote, "If your bass wants to play [or learn guitar] I will be very drawn into
    your project."

I'm not sure what to make of that, but I've asked my jazz bass if it wants to play guitar and got no response. Maybe I could teach it.

The other two might get jealous though.

I think the fretless may be a bit more amenable to lessons. We'll see about that.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't get my bass to do so much as make me a waffle.

I agree with Maxi. If it's solo time, go all Larry Graham or Louis Johnson on them.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast