Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Slash on Gear

Thread: Slash on Gear

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Slash on Gear

Slash posted this on his twitter page over the weekend. I know we've discussed this topic to death before but it's interesting to hear someone who's a 'guitar hero' to many say this....

"After all these years, I've come to the conclusion: 80% of your sound is u, not your gear. For better or worse. Iii|; )'"

FWIW I think he's right. I think the ability to control sustain, precision in your technique, right hand attack, right hand rhythm, note selections etc. etc. do far more to create a tone than the gear you are playing through. Although those techniques are a little easier to execute on good gear.
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

"And every guitarist who has ever heard Frisell has wondered how he managed to get his guitar to produce notes that swelled in volume as they sustained, like a violinist or horn player, instead of steadily fading, like the notes on everyone else’s guitar. There was talk by the bar of a clever use of compression, echo, or volume pedals. I believed this until I heard him produce the same effect on an acoustic guitar, at which point I gave up trying to understand." - Marc Ribot
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the unfortunate truth for some of us. No matter how spectacular my gear, I will always just sound like me. ;-)
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I agree with this somewhat, but one thing I feel these days is that it's also about how you use the gear, and I'm not just talking about guitar skill.

I am only now getting to be very good at tweaking my equipment to get the sounds I like out of it. It's not as simple as I first believed, and you can make ANY amp or guitar sound bad. At least I can.

So yeah, I agree that it's mostly about the player, but gear has a definite impact on it, and how you use the gear is also very important.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Come on friends, Digitech gave us the solution with their Artist Signature Pedals....it's so easy to sound like Brian May, Jimi or Clapton now *lol* ;-)
    I think Slash has a point here. But I am also with Eric, gear has definitely a deep impact on your playing and therefore on your sound.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Yes, the unfortunate truth for some of us. No matter how spectacular my gear, I will always just sound like me. ;-)
    Well, now--THERE'S a depressing thought!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman View Post
    Well, now--THERE'S a depressing thought!
    Keith Richards has been quoted as saying essentially the same thing Sean did above. It's true for me too. I can play through my old ss Kustom, or my hybrid-y li'l Super Champ XD, or my Fender-y Super Reverb, or my Marshall-y Sovtek, and it all still sounds like Krashpad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev View Post
    Slash posted this on his twitter page over the weekend. I know we've discussed this topic to death before but it's interesting to hear someone who's a 'guitar hero' to many say this....

"After all these years, I've come to the conclusion: 80% of your sound is u, not your gear. For better or worse. Iii|; )'"

guitar music
    FWIW I think he's right. I think the ability to control sustain, precision in your technique, right hand attack, right hand rhythm, note selections etc. etc. do far more to create a tone than the gear you are playing through. Although those techniques are a little easier to execute on good gear.
    I agree it is still how you make the sound and how you do it. Skills is very important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's easy...you can do the same by just fretting a note but NOT playing it, and then start to move the note with very small rapid movements to start it first sounding, then playing loud.
    Just sustaining a guitar won't get minutes of legato, but by 'trembling' the string you can get it to swell in volume again and indefinitely, not that hard.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.