Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NGD - LP Special P-90

Thread: NGD - LP Special P-90

Post Thanks / Like

Default NGD - LP Special P-90

So I'm on vacation this week and this morning I sold off my Epi Joe Pass - I wasn't playing it at all since the full hollow didn't take to distortion well. I originally bought it for jazz and it was perfect for that, but I've been almost exclusively blues for a few months so I decided to sell it. The joe pass DID have my P-90 fix though. Since I had money I decided to hit the local shops this morning for a Squier VM Jazzmaster.

No store in my area had one - well, that's basically a Sam Ash and the local GC for new gear. I was pretty bummed. As I was wandering aimlessly at GC I saw an Epiphone with 2 P-90's for $299 - same price as the VM. Got it down and give it a play.

I have to say I was very impressed. After I played it for about half an hour I took a look down the neck - not a jacked up fret on the fretboard. Great clean tones, dirty and over-saturated. Since it was the same price as the VM and I love the LP style I went for it. Very surprised but very happy too - have my P-90 fix and it's a great player for $299.

Just got in the door, so here's the pic:

Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

The week wouldn't feel right if there wasn't a progrmr NGD, so thanks for settling my mind. Congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Guitar Day!

Does that have the new tail piece and bridge that wont fall off?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet! You got a good deal. They were running $399 at the GC near me last time I checked. Congrats, progrmr!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The week wouldn't feel right if there wasn't a progrmr NGD, so thanks for settling my mind. Congrats!
    haha! Yea Yea....

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Happy New Guitar Day!

Does that have the new tail piece and bridge that wont fall off?
    It looks like the normal tailpiece. I haven't restrung it yet but I will very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Sweet! You got a good deal. They were running $399 at the GC near me last time I checked. Congrats, progrmr!
    No way I'd go $399 for it, but $299 was a good deal. Glad I went out today. thanks!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I think all the new Epis have that Tone Lock bridge if they're TOM style. I know my Tribute LP does.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I think all the new Epis have that Tone Lock bridge if they're TOM style. I know my Tribute LP does.
    I was referring to the LockTone system. I that what you are saying too?
    http://www.epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2026

I wish I had this on a few guitars.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

After restringing it does have the ToneLock -the tailpiece didn't fall off and was securely held in place but I didn't remove it to check. I wanted to get those new strings on and keep playing. Fingers are all kinds of raw this morning!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Still one of my favourite guitars. Great catch P. :-)
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats enjoy the new axe!!!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You just can't go wrong with an LP and P-90's.
    $299 was a steal! Congratulations on a sweet new axe.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nice

I have a beautiful antique burst solid mahogany set neck "SX" one of those that I played the other night. It is noisy and doesn't noise cancel in the middle like my other P90 guitar with Duncan Designed pickups.

I think I want to install some high quality P90s on my SX LP Special. Right now I don't like the cheap P90s that produce a overly bright and brittle sound. I'm not sure what pickups I should get, but the build quality of the guitar is very good and it has an ebony fretboard. If I found some good pickups to really improve the sound I would probably put on some nice tuners, maybe locking.

I wonder who makes some real good sounding P90s at a reasonable cost?

That Epiphone is a beautiful guitar.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! A buddy of mine on another forum bought the same guitar just this week as well. He's been very happy with his.

I love LP Specials, even though I don't have one by Gibson/Epi. My LP Special jones has been satisfied by a Hamer Special and a Schecter Tempest Special.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out GFS P-90's Duffy. The mean 90's I had in an Epi Emperor were well priced and sounded great. Those are humbucker sized though.

I'm sure they have some regular P-90's that would suit your needs.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    Check out GFS P-90's Duffy. The mean 90's I had in an Epi Emperor were well priced and sounded great. Those are humbucker sized though.

I'm sure they have some regular P-90's that would suit your needs.
    Fwiw, I briefly had a partscaster with GFS P-90's (regular size), and they sounded great.

I'm not a modder though, at a minimum I'd give it a lot of thought before yanking something out of a new axe. My bud who just got that model has said he likes the stockers well enough to leave them for the time being at least. And he IS a modder.

The stock dogears in my Epi WildKat are certainly fine.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P90s

Krash,

My SX LP Special is not a new one. It is a few years old and a set neck, all mahogany, quite nice really.

The pickups just don't seem very good and they are not noise cancelling. My other P90, a Squier VM Tele Custom II has way better P90s - duncan designed.

I am thinking of getting some decent ones to put in but need to look around. Maybe Seymour Duncan real ones.

I have bought GFS pickups a few times and some have been good, but most have left me wishing I had spent a few extra dollars and gotten what I really wanted, like the P bass Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders I wanted. Should have gotten them but put in GFS hot P bass instead and was not much impressed. I think with GFS that they make some real good pickups, but you need to know which ones are great and get them. They have a somewhat "cult" following and you need to know which ones are real good. Not all of their pickups live up to the exuberant verbosity embellishing the web page descriptions.

The mediocre, at best, stock pickups on this LP Special copy will stay in the guitar unless I find some replacements that are going to be a big improvement. I need to do some more research on this and seek some feedback from other P90 fans.

I should start another thread asking for P90 replacement advice.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Maybe the GFS ones are real decent.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art