Thread: what speakers for a 2x12 cabinet?

Post Thanks / Like

Default what speakers for a 2x12 cabinet?

After getting some much needed advice from tunghaichuan and duhvoodooman on another thread, i've decided to sell my celestion blue and buy 2 new 12" speakers for a 2x12 cabinet. This will be paired (for now) with an Egnater Rebel 20 head, but since it would be nice if I could build a cabinet that could handle more watts just in case I need to get a louder amp down the road. my guitars are a strat with EMG single coils and a Baker Super B hollowbody w/2 humbuckers.

i play rock and roll - classic rock, jam stuff (GD, Phish, etc) - funk, country, jazz, church stuff - basically lots of different kinds of music but rarely and really hard rock or metal, and it leans heavily on the classic rock/jam stuff.

i like the celestion blue a lot, so i'm thinking of getting a 30w weber blue dog (sens=100db) which i hope will be similar to the celestion blue and pairing it with a WGS Green Beret 25w (sens=100db). this is purely based on what i've read on the internet, so if anyone has any thoughts about this combo being a bad idea, let me know.

I'm planning to wire it in parallel which i think will result in a 4 ohm load. I'm hoping that down the road if I want, I can build another one of these and chain them together (which I think will create an 8 ohm load and be basically the same as a 4x12 cabinet, right?)

I'm definitely not married to these speaker choices. If there was a way to get something cheaper than the blue dog that sounds as good or close to it, I (and my wife) would be all about that. My thinking is that the blue clone will accentuate the highs and mids and the greenback clone will carry the bottom end, but again, i'm just sort of putting that together from what i've read on message boards and stuff.

any opinions? thoughts? am i on the right track?

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to find some vintage alnico speakers on the cheap, do an Ebay search for 12" alnico speakers in "all categories". There are some good deals out there on speakers out of old organs and such. From what I've heard, the Cleveland speakers are pretty decent.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I would check out these speakers:

http://wgs4.com/content/BL

http://wgs4.com/content/et65

If I had to buy a speaker right now, I'd get the ET-65 personally. The British Lead would be a close second.

The ET-65 sounds like a good choice based on what you've written. But check out the sound samples.

You can get either of them in 16 ohms and wire the cab in parallel for 8 ohms.

Like most new speakers, they are going to sound stiff when you get them and my not sound all that great new. They will break in and the tone will improve as you use them. This goes for any new speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Weshunter View Post
    After getting some much needed advice from tunghaichuan and duhvoodooman on another thread, i've decided to sell my celestion blue and buy 2 new 12" speakers for a 2x12 cabinet. This will be paired (for now) with an Egnater Rebel 20 head, but since it would be nice if I could build a cabinet that could handle more watts just in case I need to get a louder amp down the road. my guitars are a strat with EMG single coils and a Baker Super B hollowbody w/2 humbuckers.

i play rock and roll - classic rock, jam stuff (GD, Phish, etc) - funk, country, jazz, church stuff - basically lots of different kinds of music but rarely and really hard rock or metal, and it leans heavily on the classic rock/jam stuff.

i like the celestion blue a lot, so i'm thinking of getting a 30w weber blue dog (sens=100db) which i hope will be similar to the celestion blue and pairing it with a WGS Green Beret 25w (sens=100db). this is purely based on what i've read on the internet, so if anyone has any thoughts about this combo being a bad idea, let me know.

I'm planning to wire it in parallel which i think will result in a 4 ohm load. I'm hoping that down the road if I want, I can build another one of these and chain them together (which I think will create an 8 ohm load and be basically the same as a 4x12 cabinet, right?)

I'm definitely not married to these speaker choices. If there was a way to get something cheaper than the blue dog that sounds as good or close to it, I (and my wife) would be all about that. My thinking is that the blue clone will accentuate the highs and mids and the greenback clone will carry the bottom end, but again, i'm just sort of putting that together from what i've read on message boards and stuff.

any opinions? thoughts? am i on the right track?

Post Thanks / Like

that E65 looks like a good choice and pretty reasonably priced - would it pair well with the 30w blue dog in a 2x12? is there something better/cheaper it would pair well with?

Post Thanks / Like

eminence Red Fangs, (i think) approximates the celestion blue without being too pricey.

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazin...er_Review.aspx
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

i ordered an ET 65. I'm going to put that in my 1x12 cabinet so I can take the Celestion Blue out and sell it. Then I can use that money for another speaker (and still have some left over for the Line 6 M13 fund) - I don't think the Red Fang is the right choice based on that review. The Warehouse speaker site recommends pairing the ET 65 with a Veteran 30. I wonder if that's the way to go, or if I should stick with the alnico plan for the other speaker.