Thread: Peavey Classic 50

Post Thanks / Like

Default Peavey Classic 50

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at getting my 1st ever tube amp. Yay! lol
    I came across this amp and wondered what you guys thought about it.
    I will mainly be playing blues and country/country rock. But I also will be playing rock and some metal on it too (but not very often).

Will this amp be a good choice?

Many thanks,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it will suit you good for the style you're playing ! Just be aware that the 50w is very loud and probably quite heavy If you're planning to only play at home I would rather look for a classic 30 or a Blues Junior.

If you're playing live on stage just keep in mind that a very loud amp is sometimes hard to crank up in small venues
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

Have heard about the loudness of the 50w version. A lot of folks out there that sell this amp due to this reason. I'd definitely go with the 30w version like Jipes says.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Classic 30 will peel paint. It'll keep up with our drummer on 4-5 on the volume knob.

Post Thanks / Like

Classic 50s are extremely loud, so unless you're playing at a large outdoor venue, I'd consider something 30 watts or under, then if it's not loud enough, you can mic it. Remember tube watts are roughly 3 times as loud as their solid-state counterparts.

Post Thanks / Like

OK thanks for the advice guys, I did wounder about the volume of it.
    At most venues I play at I will be mic'd, but there is one or two places that I wont be being mic'd.

I don't know too much about tube amps but at the moment I have a 200 watt Randall hybird, will the classic 30 go as loud as that? (I don't have it cranked up full, its sometimes at max about 7 at a large-ish venue un-mic'd)

Cheers,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like

A 30 will certainly get loud enough to upset the bass player.

Post Thanks / Like

A C30 with extension cab is balls Marie!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It is loud but it sounds very good. I think it sounds quite a bit better than the 30 watt version.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    It is loud but it sounds very good. I think it sounds quite a bit better than the 30 watt version.
    I concur but unless it can be cranked the point is moot. It's way too loud.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

All true....

I had one and loved the tone, especially after re-tubing. I'm not so sure the neighbors did though...

To get a good power tube tone going you have to crank it beyond what a home or a small venue can handle.
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.