Thread: What scales and modes could I use over a 12 bar blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default What scales and modes could I use over a 12 bar blues

Hey guys,
    I've been mucking around with the minor pentatonic and blues scale for ages now but it gets abit boring and all starts to sound the same. I'm starting to learn some modes and that sort of thing.

What are some modes or scales I could use to add some more interest in a 12 bar blues solo? And when should I use them?

Cheers,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

For example, in the key of E --> You can use the E Mixolydian mode over the I chord. You can use E Dorian mode over the IV chord. E Blues scale of course anywhere in the progression. You can try F# Dorian over the V chord. There's a lot more that can be done, but I'll leave that for another time.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

E dorian is the classic Santana sound for a minor blues. Lydian is a good option as well. Parts of the Sweet Home Alabama solo are in lydian. People will oftentimes play in Lyidan on this tune accidentally b/c they think it's in G and play in G on top of something that's in D is lydian.

If You want to get into some wicked stuff on the 5 chord, you need to learn the modes of the ascending melodic minor scale. You can play B super-locrian on that 5 chord and it will wicked in a hurry.