Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New "Classic Compressor" Kit at BYOC

Thread: New "Classic Compressor" Kit at BYOC

Post Thanks / Like

Default New "Classic Compressor" Kit at BYOC

Buildyourownclone.com has introduced a new "Classic Compressor" kit based upon the very popular vintage Ross "Gray" compressor circuit. Their top-of-the-line 5-Knob Compressor kit, also derived from the Ross circuit, will still be available, but the new kit will appeal to builders looking for a pedal that's simpler to build and less complicated to operate, while still offering that classic Ross "squish". The new kit will sell for a very reasonable $70, making it one of BYOC's most affordable kits.

You can also buy a "vintage upgrade pack" for the kit, sold separately for $15. This pack features a CA3080A "can-style" opamp like those used in the original Dynacomps, a gold-plated TO-100 8-pin socket, and five 2SC1849 transistors like those used in the Dynacomps, Ross Gray's and early Keeley compressors. So if you're looking to build the ultimate vintage-correct Ross compressor clone, you'll definitely want to consider spending the extra $15 for this upgrade.

Check out all the details HERE....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'll buy one of those kits, looks VERY promising. Have you had a chance to build one yet? I'm hoping it can hold it's own against the Keeley Compressor, any thoughts on that?

Post Thanks / Like

I built one this weekend, with the vintage upgrade. I'm no compressor expert & don't use one very often, but it certainly seems to do exactly what it's supposed to, without being overbearing. Compresses the attack and sustains the signal. Seems to lend a little bit of warmth to the signal and a very slight loss of treble. I haven't played a Keeley Compressor, so can't comment on that. I plugged in a Strat to it to play clean through my Blues Junior, and it had a real nice spanky country sound to it.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! The treble loss might be an issue - the Keeley Compressor keeps the high frequencies almost intact (but then again, I've never played the BYOC Classic Compressor, so quite possibly it loses the same ammount of highs, and I don't own the Keeley anymore, so possibly I'm remembering it to be better than it was). From the description, at least, it should be pretty close, so I'll order one as soon as the European/UK dealer gets them in stock.

The country tone is the first thing I notice too with the Ross compressors in particular (especially since I mainly play a Telecaster), though that's never what I use a compressor for.