Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Play doctor for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Play doctor for me

Post Thanks / Like

Default Play doctor for me

Does this look familiar to anyone?

Sunday afternoon I grabbed a wool hat out of the hat basket by the coat rack and went for a hike. Along the way I started itching and figured it was because I had worked up a sweat. I left the hat on and completed the hike. I think I had a little itching before I went to bed but nothing major.

Now, three days later I see red spots starting to form and they are somewhat swollen a a bit larger making my scalp a little tight. They aren't terribly itchy, I have a head ache and feel a little tired but not too bad.

My first thought was some kind of spider bites. I don't think it's a brown recluse or there would be much more pain. Other than that, anyone seen anything like it?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it ain't a brown recluse, 'cause you would be feeling really bad by now.

Are you allergic to wool? Some random bug in the hat? Was the hat washed, dry cleaned, or treated with any new chemical prior to storage? Have you seen any more red areas since removing the hat? Are the red areas spreading or getting larger?

I wouldn't wear the hat again, in any case... A good dermatologist should clear that up in a jiffy.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I've never had any allergy to the hat for the several years I've had it. The spots have swollen but no new ones since Monday morning that I can tell. Random bug? Maybe huh. I can't think of what would cause the swelling besides a spider. Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chiggers? If so, give the hat to someone you don't like.

Nurse Mrs. Tig says if it is contact dermatitis related to a reaction to the wool, it would be more spread out. When in doubt, see the doc.

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, no spidery kind of thing. My guess is a reaction to the hat itself, or a reaction to something in the hat (detergent. moth balls, etc).

Seriously.......have you ever had a bad sunburn or a bad flu reaction in that area of your head/scalp? If yes, you may have a "weakness" in that area that makes you susceptible to reactions in that area.

I have that exact issue with the inner part of my left shin/calf area.

Post Thanks / Like

I've been researching and I'm going to say that it's scabies. That would explain why I feel like something is crawling over my skin at times. I'll get some treatment tomorrow and see if it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck, bro... Post up when you get the verdict on what it is. Hope you recover quickly!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it looks like a rash from an allergic reaction of some sort. I've had similar outbreaks on my scalp a time or two, and it went away in short order.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S. View Post
    I agree that it looks like a rash from an allergic reaction of some sort. I've had similar outbreaks on my scalp a time or two, and it went away in short order.
    I've worked out and sweated plenty in that hat before and never had any problems. It's been 4 days now and no sign of lessening which I think would happen if it were a rash. Still, thanks for the input. You could be right.

Post Thanks / Like

It could be irritant contact dermatitis or possibly allergic irritant contact dermatitis.

In the first case it could have been from just the wool hat rubbing on the skin possibly due to something like a detergent residue in the hat. The fact that you have never experienced it from the hat when you've worn it before might not matter as your body is constantly changing. That which was never a problem before might be one now. And, if you wear the same hat a month from now you might not have a reaction.

In the second case, it could be an allergic reaction to something like poison ivy, poison oak, or something similar. I sort of doubt that though because where you live those irritants aren't in bloom yet (if they even grow in Idaho). Did you eat any seafood a day or so before it appeared, especially shell fish? That's another possibility.

My guess would be that if you went to a dermatologist and he couldn't diagnose it specifically, he'd just call it irritant contact dermatitis. It's sort of like their catch all diagnosis. Try some Benadryl cream and see if it goes away in a day or two. The Benadryl cream is an antihistamine and should clear up the symptoms if the condition isn't something more serious.

Jeez, it almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about!

No, I'm not a doctor, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

The pharmacist agreed that it looked insect related. They might not come out well in these photos but there raised raised areas that look like invasion/bite sites. The irritation pattern is not consistent enough to be contact dermatitis.

I'll know in a couple of days if I'll have to go through this again.

[IMAGE REMOVED]
    Last edited by Robert; March 7th, 2011 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Sorry, that's too graphical. Think about the minors who might stop by.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you're narrowing it down, Spud.

Hell, we hardly even notice bites here unless they're from a venomous critter. Seems everything here either bites you, stings you, or gives you a rash. They attack you from the land, the sea, and the air. It's a jungle out there (almost literally).

Just don't go into anaphylactic shock on us, ok Spud?
    Ah, nothing relieves the discomfort of GAS pains like the sound of the UPS truck rumbling down your street. It's like the musician's Beano.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat View Post
    Just don't go into anaphylactic shock on us, ok Spud?
    That shouldn't be a problem. I don't get severe allergic reaction to anything. Thanks to the railroad we have lot of invasive species around here some of which are spiders. So it's either that of some other biting critter. I hope it's that simple and not toxic shock syndrome. If I have to explain that then the joke was totally wasted.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm being serious here,I asked my wife to look also(she's in the medical field)It could be herpes (shingles),it does have a blister appearance.Go have they take a cluture and test it.Sumi
    Guitars,Warmoth Tele,90's Fender Strat Plus/Fender CV 50's Tele/Parker p-36/Fretlight/Custom Strat(Fender body/warmoth Clapton neck,tonerider pups)Larrivee L03 mahogany acoustic

Amphs/66 Super Reverb/60's Bandmaster head and 2/12 cab/Blues jr//epi valve jr/supro super/ ZT lunchbox/Mahaffay Little Laneilei 3350/Pignose g40v

Pedals/Voods Rodent/MXR carbon copy/Duncan Pickup booster/Ts9/Rat/ts10/Line 6 tone port uk2
    Line 6 M13

Post Thanks / Like

Dude, put some salve on that.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Man - did you notice the top of the thread? On my screen it's full of links for rash and pain issues!!! It's kind of scary how the web works sometimes...
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

It goes by what you were last googling for. What the hell have you been up to?
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sumitomo View Post
    I'm being serious here,I asked my wife to look also(she's in the medical field)It could be herpes (shingles),it does have a blister appearance.Go have they take a cluture and test it.Sumi
    I'm not sure about that. I have an incredibly strong immune system, it's usually in a band around the torso. Mine is in patches on my head. Blisters haven't developed and this isn't particularly itchy or painful. One area is swollen which is very un-rash like. Still, it's possible and I appreciate her opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    I hope it's that simple and not toxic shock syndrome. If I have to explain that then the joke was totally wasted.

And just where have you been buying your sanitary products from?

This will probably turn out to be just some mystery that disappears in a few days without explanation. The fact that it occurred in an area not normally covered by clothing makes me believe that it was transient and not systemic. The spider bite makes sense. I've been bitten by non-venomous spiders a number of times and it's usually just a temporary discomfort that goes away on its own. I too have a very robust immune system, so I rarely worry about minor skin irritations.

Be happy that you don't have fire ants in Idaho. Those little b*stards will swarm all over your leg before you know it and then as if an attack signal is sounded, they all bite at once. Ah yes, formic acid, a wonderful neurotoxin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast