Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modifications to my old MIM Strat

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, after a short hiatus in which I moved to Kalamazoo, MI for a job I've finally started on this project. Parts I have since acquired.

Dimarzio ToneZone
    Dimarzio Air Norton S
    Pickguard with HS route, 1 volume control
    5 way super switch for coil tapping
    Fender locking tuners
    LSR Roller Nut

Going to have to take it in to get the nut installed, I lack the tools. However, the rest I'm installing myself. I've never swapped pickups or done any wiring so I figured that going with only a volume with no tone control would be easier. Then I decided to do coil tapping... so I guess I'll figure it out. I'll be sure to post pictures and sound bytes once this is complete.

I'm worrying about paint once its working otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, I did actually finish this. I'll post pics soon! Loving the TZ and Air Norton combo. Not running it through a tone pot gives it a really ballsy sound. Plus, I can still get classic strat single coil tones from the coil splitting super switch.

However, I am still not happy with the stock trem. It does stay in tune but the bar is very wobbly unless screwed in really far, and then it barely clears the top of the volume knob and hits the 5 way switch. So, I picked up a wilkinson trem to throw on there. We'll see when I get around to that. I'll see about getting pics up in the morning. Unless I forget for a couple months again haha.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Grover, you might want to take your guitar to an auto "machine shop", show them the trem arm and how it barely clears the volume knob and ask them to bend it for you so you get the exact feel you want. That would be very easy for them and probably cost you next to nothing. Bring a couple towels to set the guitar on.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting idea there Duffy. Might've been a cheaper option, had I not already bought the wilkie trem. However, I really like the idea of replacing the wilkinson bar assembly with an extra floyd one I have lying around (apparently this can be done). I know I will probably get yelled at for modifying a strat and ruining it's resale value, etc... but honestly, it wasn't worth much anyway and so far it sounds great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12