Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Your All Time Favorite TV Series? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your All Time Favorite TV Series?

Post Thanks / Like

and every version after

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Highly recommended read...

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you sir. I'll check it out...without any emotion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Highly recommended read...

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    Thank you sir. I'll check it out...without any emotion of course.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You can go ahead and add Treme to my list, right at the top just below The Wire.

Not having HBO, I had to wait until this past week's DVD release of Season 1 to finally see it but given the fact that it's much of the same production and writing staff from The Wire, I expected I'd be as addicted to it as I was to The Wire. I was right.

While there are many stories weaving in and out of one another in this show, the primary focus of the show is musicians, specifically New Orleans musicians.

I'll say this as simply as I can... if you consider yourself a musician and you can't dig this show, something's wrong with you.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I never heard of Treme until your post. I just finished watching the first episode and liked it quite a bit.
    It has such a real feel to it, warts and all. Nawlins is such a unique place and this production has captured it well. I haven't been there since the year before Katrina, though.

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of Treme until your post. I just finished watching the first episode and liked it quite a bit.
    It has such a real feel to it, warts and all.
    That's the David Simon trademark. I've joked with my wife that thanks to The Wire I can no longer watch any other cop shows because while I always knew they had unrealistic elements to them, once I've seen a show that took the time to do things correctly, those things in the other shows just seemed so glaringly off. He's mentioned on commentary tracks that he meets a lot of police who tell him that they love the show because it's the only tv cop show they've ever seen that accurately portrays the way law enforcement works from the office politics on down to the street policing.

Simon and his people just have a different approach to doing television, an approach that trusts the audience to not need its hand held.

FYI, here's an excellent interview with Simon about why he chose New Orleans as the subject of his current project and some of the things he hopes to accomplish with Treme. Even down to the depth of his answers to interview questions Simon comes across as radically different than pretty much any creator/writer of any other television show.

http://www.alternet.org/culture/1507...o_new_orleans/
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm watching episode 7 and have really enjoyed the story telling. You get an insider's view which allows you to appreciate the cultural nuances New Orleans has. Thanks for exposing us to this series, R_of_G.

//After Katrina, we were swamped with N.O. refugees. Many were good people, full of thanks, but a few gained the nickname, "Katricians", due to their destructive path. Trashing the apartments and hotels rooms that were provided for free, buying dope with aid money, murders, and all the fine activities that unfortunately give the rest of the people a bad name. It is nice to see an insider's view to understand the bigger picture.

Next week the Mississippi River will crest near N.O., and no one knows if the levies will hold this time.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm watching episode 7 and have really enjoyed the story telling. You get an insider's view which allows you to appreciate the cultural nuances New Orleans has.
    After five seasons of The Wire I realized that the "star" of the show wasn't any of the actors, as spectacular as they were. The star was the city of Baltimore.

It seems Mr. Simon and crew are doing the same with New Orleans. If you create authentic characters and have them act in realistc ways, the culture of the setting has to influence that. That's why more than any other show, these characters feel like real people to me.

Too many other shows use their settings as nothing more than background for establishing shots but don't really portray the city/region that is home to the world of the show.

Post Thanks / Like

off the top of my head...
    Arrested Development
    Six Feet Under
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Cheers (before it 'jumped the shark')

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Treme season 3, episode 1 has finally aired.
    It still has teeth enough to get you mad at times and enthralled during others.

Post Thanks / Like

Seinfeld! I win!

Firefly and Stargate TV series franchise too. I wish they bring those back.

Post Thanks / Like

Treme season 3, episode 1 has finally aired.
    It still has teeth enough to get you mad at times and enthralled during others.
    Also announced this week that HBO has given David Simon a shortened fourth season which will be Treme's last. I'm curious to see if they jump forward a bit in time to cover the BP oil spill in the Gulf.

Oh and since the last time I replied to this thread, you can go ahead and add Breaking Bad to my list as well. There are very few shows as well done as that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My favorites that are currently on the air:

• Game of Thrones (I'm currently reading the first book)
    • Sons of Anarchy
    • Grimm
    • Boardwalk Empire
    • The Walking Dead (a guilty pleasure)
    • Treme
    • History Detectives
    • Copper
    • Falling Skies (so-so, but entertaining)
    • Hell on Wheels
    • Touch (incredible writing)

I just started watching season 1 of Homeland, which might make the list.

Post Thanks / Like

OZ !! ...Mean ..wicked

Deadwood ... Astonishing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    OZ !! ...Mean ..wicked
    Oz was an excellent show. I re-watched the whole run of it last year, and it amazes me how many actors the show featured who were virtually unknown at the time that have gone on to appear in many many more things since then. I had to stop myself from playing "that guy was in the Wire... he was on the Sopranos... etc..." because if you did it for everyone on that show, you'd miss a whole episode by the time you were done.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I finally have Xfinity High Speed Internet I've been streaming all the good ole programs mentioned plus some cool new ones. One of my favorites right now is "Breaking Bad". Filmed here in Albuquerque. It's fun for us to watch cause we recognize all the scenes and know where they are. We finished season 4 so we have to wait till next year to finish season 5 which is the last season. We have HS Internet but not AMC channel on purchased television.

"I am the one who knocks!" - Walter White aka Heisenberg

Post Thanks / Like

Default Your All Time Favorite TV Series?

I'm not a big tv watcher (if we didn't own one it wouldn't bother me), but there are a few shows I don't mind...

Friends - for the humor
    Star Trek Voyager - 7 of 9 mmmmmm
    Star gate SG1 - not the others
    Warehouse 13 - it's just wacky
    Top Gear & Mythbustets

As a kid I enjoyed
    Dukes of Hazard
    A-Team
    The Fall Guy
    Hardball

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All time? I'll skip when I was a kid...Galactica was a must back then. Once made my dad drive 60 miles to reach a TV when ours broke at the cottage...could not miss the episode. Which I still remember clear as day (it was the one where Starbuck gets stranded on a planet with a cylon who he repairs and befriends).

But as an adult...maybe Sopranos...also liked Frazier a lot. More recent ones, the 1st season of Walking Dead rocked. Sons of Anarchy was great too.

But, ultimately...I guess my favorite ones are Mythbusters, How it's Made and pretty much any well done documentary series on either some serious tech, science or nature stuff.
    Anything with weird machines, technology, old weird things and such, underwater, wrecks, history to some extent...

I suppose as one grows older the less one gets excited by fictional stuff and gets more and more interested in science etc.

Not to say I don't enjoy fiction enormously too, just that I'd often rather watch a very well made program on the birth of the universe or secrets of the deep sea or understand more about psychology or economics, whatever.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast