Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
*sigh*...Opeth

Thread: *sigh*...Opeth

Post Thanks / Like

Default *sigh*...Opeth

Man, Opeth.

If you would just get rid of the growling vocals and double-kick-drum metal drumming, I would love your music. As it stands, I like most of your music a lot, but those two things make it hard to digest large quantities of your songs in one sitting.

Regards,

Eric

---

So much talent in that band...

So...for everyone else, is there a version of Opeth without the cookie-monster-ing and constant 16th-note bass-drum beats? I already know of Porcupine Tree, which seems to have bloodlines to this sort of music. Anything else you can recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Man, when Spud finds this thread you are in for a treat... He'll have a number of progressive bands that you might not have heard of that fit the bill.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, Eric... but Opeth is perfect just the way they are. I love the growls, double-kicks, and everything else that makes them Metal. Their calmer stuff is awesome as well. You just need to immerse yourself with them for a few weeks and then you'll get your thinking straight. ;-) BTW, check out their live concert at the Royal Albert Hall; totally awesome.
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/opethlive/

Post Thanks / Like

What albums have you listened to? Watershed is great with minimal growling and Damnation is great too.

Go spend some time at http://www.dprp.net/reviews/index.php and read some reviews. You'll certainly find something new that you like. They have links to clips as well.

Also, go back in thefret "Have you heard" archives. I've posted plenty of good Prog. Blackfield you might like if you want the moody haunting stuff. That's a Steven Wilson project.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    What albums have you listened to? Watershed is great with minimal growling and Damnation is great too.
    Past couple of days has been a lot of Blackwater Park, maybe some earlier stuff like Orchid too. Not really too sure -- I just loaded all albums up in VLC and let it go to town, skipping around every once in awhile. I'll check out those two albums -- I'm listening to Watershed right now, and that's the album I'm most familiar with from my earlier time listening to them.

Also, go back in thefret "Have you heard" archives. I've posted plenty of good Prog. Blackfield you might like if you want the moody haunting stuff. That's a Steven Wilson project.
    I've heard of that before. Is that the collab between Wilson and the Akerfeldt guy from Opeth that you posted about once?
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Also checkout Damnation for some calmer stuff. And... I suggest you pick a single album and listen to it many times instead of listening to bits and pieces at random. I generally listen to the same album for weeks on end before I truly appreciate them.

Post Thanks / Like

Orchid is a good album.

I know what you mean, Eric. There are more than a few bands that I love for the music and/or musicianship, but have a hang up with either the lyrics or the vocals. Nevermore is one example. I love the music, and the vocalist has great pipes, very Geoff Tate like, but the lyrics seem to almost be a parody of themselves. It drives me nuts, because there's so much potential there. High On Fire is one of the vocalist gripes for me. I don't hate the vocals, but much like Opeth, I think it would be so much better to let go of the Sesame Street muppet vocals. Also, bands like Alter Bridge, where the vocals and musicianship is great, but it's just a little too poppy for me.

Yeah, I hear ya man.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    High On Fire is one of the vocalist gripes for me. I don't hate the vocals, but much like Opeth, I think it would be so much better to let go of the Sesame Street muppet vocals. Also, bands like Alter Bridge, where the vocals and musicianship is great, but it's just a little too poppy for me.
    I'm with you on some of these, FF. High On Fire's vocals are very Lemmy-ish, which is OK, but we only need one Lemmy! They still make some great stoner-ish metal. The latest Alter Bridge album got a bit heavier than the past ones, but some of the songs are a still bit mainstream at times. At least they aren't Creed!

I love Opeth, but I sometimes wish for less monster in my cookie vocals. Mikael Ã…kerfeldt is an excellent song writer and musician, to say the least. The acoustic guitar passages are enough to make you put aside the electric and attempt similar beauty.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you people lost your mind? First Opeth, then High On Fire!? What is next?
    I'm sure you guys would be happy with this guy as the lead singer of your tin-metal band.

LOL. Just teasing you, my friends.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Have you people lost your mind? First Opeth, then High On Fire!? What is next?
    I'm sure you guys would be happy with this guy as the lead singer of your tin-metal band.
    Barney is currently at the Crossroads rehab center in Antigua. Fame is a fickle mistress.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the double bass drum thing. Always have. I agree about the Cookie Monster business though. Have you listened to The Sword's "Warp Riders"? I guess I'd call it stoner metal even though that doesn't mean much.

Even though I'm not a fan of Cookie Monster vocals, I still like 3 Inches of Blood (although they've lost the Cookie Monster guy now).
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Try some Dead Soul Tribe or Psychotic Waltz.

Post Thanks / Like

I personally like the whole double-kick-drum/growled vocals thing, especially the sudden changes to it that Opeth use. But I know what you mean, it's not to everyone's taste and it can definitely get boring after a while.

They're not strictly the same genre as Opeth, but you might want to check out Mastodon (if you haven't already). Particularly the Crack The Skye album, and the songs:

Oblivion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U
    and The Czar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2fp-kKOIw

To me, at least, they have a very similar feel to a lot of Opeth's albums. Some incredible guitar playing as well.
    http://soundcloud.com/tarasque

Guitars: Encore Strat, No-Name Les Paul copy, Cort Acoustic, Vintage VRS100AW, Schecter Tempest Custom, Cort VX-4V, Dean Inferno V.

Amphs: Ashdown Fallen Angel FA 60 DSP, Harley-Benton GA5.

Pedals: Zoom G2.1U, Digitech Screamin' Blues, Electro-Harmonix Stereo Electric Mistress, Dunlop Crybaby 535Q Wah.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius View Post
    They're not strictly the same genre as Opeth, but you might want to check out Mastodon (if you haven't already). Particularly the Crack The Skye album, and the songs:

Oblivion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6WGNd8QR-U
    and The Czar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2fp-kKOIw
    Mastodon is very good. Speaking of which, Eric, weren't you supposed to see them live?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bcdon View Post
    Mastodon is very good. Speaking of which, Eric, weren't you supposed to see them live?
    Yup I saw them...end of last year I think with Alice in Chains and the Deftones. They were pretty good, but I didn't know many of their songs, so it was kind of a wash. The Deftones were absolutely horrible. Alice in Chains was ridiculously good, even if the new guy can't hit all of the notes with the same power of Layne Staley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tibernius View Post
    That's pretty good stuff -- I'll look into them some more.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure you've heard of Dream Theater. So I won't bother recommending them. Symphony X is another progressive metal band that I enjoy a lot.

I would check out Ghost Reveries, its my favorite Opeth album. I'm probably in a minority thinking that though, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groverj3 View Post
    I would check out Ghost Reveries, its my favorite Opeth album. I'm probably in a minority thinking that though, lol.
    Well, add me to the minority because that is a great album!

Check out In Live Concert at the Royal Albert Hall for an awesome live anthology. Great concert!