Thread: Amazing fried catfish and chips

Post Thanks / Like

Default Amazing fried catfish and chips

For chips, take two Idaho potatoes, leave skins on

Cut up into wedges. Cook in vegetable oil a handful at a time and lightly salt

Catfish fillets... Dredge in 1/2 cup corn meal, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp ground pepper. Get 1/2cup peanut oil hot and cook 3-5 min per side depending upon how big your cuts are.

Yummy.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds interesting, thanks! How come peanut oil? I don't think I've ever used that. Not sure we can even get it here.

Catfish is sooooo good! I am a fish lover.

Thanks CB!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm no chef, but I think peanut oil has a much higher smoke point than vegetable or olive oil, so it really helps when you flash fry as you can have much higher temps without the smoke and burning. I could be completely wrong of course..

Post Thanks / Like

Beef dripping, that's the stuff to fry battered fish in. Haven't tasted it since the last time I visited Whitby in the old country, mind The town called Whitby just down the road isn't quite the same...
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, CB..........now you got me wanting to go fishing, and it's 24 degrees here. JK. (I'm kidding....I can always go b-u-y fish, though around here you go out of town so folks don't see you).

That recipe is almost identical to how I fry fish......... I mix 1/3 flour w/ the cornmeal, and I cook fish and potatoes in the same oil (peanut oil). Yes, it is quite yummy, and it goes quite well with a bottle of Shiner Bock (but you probably knew that).
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite catfish is Cajun Style blackened. There are many recipes on the net. The key is to put the rub on and cook them in a HOT cast iron pan. I usually cook it outdoors on the grill because of the smoke. You can use one of those griddle plates for the BBQ as well. Let it heat until it is red hot. A pat of butter and add the fish cook for about 3 mins then flip it for another three. You may need to add a little butter on the flip. You can serve it with rice or Chips. And of course a cold beverage of choice. First time I had it was in Winston-Salem NC. A restaurant had an all you can eat Catfish night. You could have it 3 or 4 ways and the blackened was extremely tasty.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ch0jin View Post
    Well I'm no chef, but I think peanut oil has a much higher smoke point than vegetable or olive oil, so it really helps when you flash fry as you can have much higher temps without the smoke and burning. I could be completely wrong of course..
    Bingo!
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra