Thread: how i learned to sightread

Post Thanks / Like

Default how i learned to sightread

i decided after a year or two of playing that i wanted to move further, to sight read music on the guitar.

i am nobody, i am a woman in texas. but if i help one person who is banging their head against the wall like i did for a year until i got it, then i did good. this worked for me, it may not work for anyone else. i'm just trying to help.

learn a couple of scales, they give you early reference.

then take out your circle of fifths, call out the notes to yourself one string at a time, and get to where you can automagically go to them.

then get some bach counterpoint or eighth note exercises where if you look at your hands, you will totally get lost b/c you can't look back and forth from the sheet music, so you have to depend upon your ear and your knowledge.

it will take off for you... just sayin'...
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Childbride - So, how would you say this has served your guitar playing? I can read standard notation for wind instruments already, and have debated 'learning' myself to read for guitar, but I always find myself asking if the time would not be better spent learning other, more immediately applicable, guitar skills. I wonder when I'll ever really need/use sightreading in my guitar playing. What do you (or other Fretters) say?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

It's been invaluable on how I learn. Everyone learns differently. But for me personally, I feel like I'm finally playing on varsity. My teacher gives me music and tells me what fret to start on. I worry it like a bone until I figure it out. Then he tells me how to do it smarter, cleaner, faster.

Post Thanks / Like

i can sight read anything if I have a few hours with it !!! Srsly tho' my main challenge is the timing of sight reading without a reference. Especially if its in a funky time sig like 11/8. Example:

“Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Well played, CB! I can sight read somewhat for vocals and for piano with some effort. I know some things for guitar but I'm a long way away from being able to play straight from standard notation.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think it sounds like a grand idea. Unless I am missing something, notation is notation is notation, and the notes are the notes, whether they are being on tuba or shred guitar. So really, it is another tool to make one learn where the notes are on the fretboard, after being able to identify the notes immediately and on the fly from notation, without having to count lines from G on the treble cleft, etc. The exercise builds fluidity, and mastery of our instrument.

I learned on piano, and locating notes on a piano is a whole lot easier for me (and I would suspect for most) because they are laid out the same way, in black and white. I still was not great at playing straight from sheet music, even at the end of my piano playing, because I still had to cipher out the notes in between the clefts and could not just know it was a C or D etc.

It would be a great exercise to be able to do. And you are right on also CB, that learning your shapes on the fretboard is a key complementary skill. For me, starting with the pentatonic up and down the whole board is the starting place, as it is easiest. I can add in the missing full scale notes from there. So once I know what key I am in, it is easier to locate my notes on the fretboard and get to where I can "automagically" find them without looking at the board. Very much like I am doing now as I type this on the keyboard.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Way to go, CB!

I'm learning how to read standard notation this semester at school, as a "fun" course. The circle of fifths (along with the order of sharps and flats) opens up a lot... Everything in class is oriented to piano, so I have to apply everything to the guitar, but it's all making sense so far.

Now, where did I put that Bach fugue???
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

i learned another trick this past week that helps. my teacher likes teaching the blues... if you pick up some pretty basic sight reading like wes montgomery's 'd natural blues', learn to play it in octaves.

Post Thanks / Like

Biggest issue I have is figuring out position - I can read music, but figuring out where to play on the neck is trouble.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

i do, too.

Post Thanks / Like

Try and play a song around the top, middle, and the octave. Where you can play it cleanest, most economically is where it should be

Post Thanks / Like

you're welcome. today, i sat down and figured out all of the runs to 'born under a bad sign'... things are opening up for me, now, b/c i can just 'see' it. the ear follows.