Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
tasty shrimp boil

Thread: tasty shrimp boil

Post Thanks / Like

Default tasty shrimp boil

that will actually make your house smell fragrant and fishy...

get a dutch oven half full of water to a roiling boil

add a teaspoon of peppercorns
    some sprigs of tarragon
    some sprigs of thyme
    several bay leaves
    two sliced lemons
    2 tablespoons salt
    1/2 tspn cayenne

boil all of that for five minutes, turn off the heat.

add a pound of shrimp [for two] stir, then let stand in the water covered for 10 minutes.

you could, of course, add your malted beverage of choice to the water...
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Mmmmmm.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Now you got my hunger going!

While I like cooking from scratch, for as long as I can remember I've always cheated when it comes to boiling shrimp and crabs (which is why I love living just minutes from the boats in Seabrook). My Dad and I used to run just 2 crab traps when we were hungry for blue crabs and it took just a day to get enough for a big meal.
    My not so secret cheat:

Post Thanks / Like

You mean there's really such a thing as a "Dutch Oven"? Wow I've learnt something new

Post Thanks / Like

I always confuse the Dutch oven with its cousin, the German clay-type of "ovens". I have one of those, and I am not sure if really falls in the "Dutch oven" category or not, as it has a technique of its own, with the clay porosity...
    Less golf, more saxophone

Post Thanks / Like

I use:
    Old Bay seasoning, Fresh garlic diced, crushed red peppers, season salt, chili powder, and fresh sliced lemons or lemon pepper salt.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MAXIFUNK View Post
    I use:
    Old Bay seasoning, Fresh garlic diced, crushed red peppers, season salt, chili powder, and fresh sliced lemons or lemon pepper salt.
    All at once?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman View Post
    All at once?
    Yeah, thrown into the pot of water to boil the shrimp in.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

A 'Dutch oven' is a 4 to 8 quart pot, usually cast iron, with a tight-fitting lid. I'm quite sure any good, deep, well-conducting pot would certainly work!
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Forgive the thread hijack but on the subject of food (seafood)...
    My younger, photographer brother had been asked by his employer (our local paper) to do a video on how to boil crawfish. Since yesterday was the beginning of Lent for Catholics and we are forced to eat seafood (oh the pain!) lots of folks eat tons of crawfish this time of year. Everyone has their own recipe and unless you just use plain water, you almost can't mess things up.
    While I love his crawfish, I like mine better. :P
    You can watch the 10 minute video here: http://videos.nola.c...boil_101_3.html

Post Thanks / Like

Yum yum......C.B. you go girl!!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel