Some good points in here, Dee. I found this particularly interesting though:

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
Damn I hate having to go and play there! I wish I could only just play with my band members forever and never have to go out in front of an audience, but alas, it's something a band has to do to survive. It's easy to notice if you don't play any gigs ever, it becomes just...nothing. When you know you have to play a gig, everyone plays totally differently and with completely different enthusiasm.
I've never played a proper gig ever -- just with friends and in church on a volunteer basis. But I agree that there's a real difference when there's a goal in mind.

My only real musical goals right now are to do some gigs eventually, probably as a pop/rock band, or maybe a few originals eventually, but I think this whole thread is useful and interesting. It's all a giant unknown to me, and while I hope it's not necessarily doom and gloom, I think I understand the points you're making.

In particular, the audience thing makes sense. I mean, I'm not exactly a barfly anyway, but I very rarely go out to see bands play unless it's music I already know. If there is a band playing, it's usually just ridiculous cover-band noise that I don't pay attention to, because I'm there talking with my friends.