What I really didn't like about gigging was the fact that I had to leave the family at home. We had most of our engagements on saturdays. Leaving in the afternoon and coming back at night can be seen as a lost day with the kids and the wife. Anyways, this only matters when you play 30-50 gigs a year like I did. When you play about 5 gigs a year it's something different. However, I do agree with Spud on most points. I look forward to a gig, because I hang out with my bandmates, after soundcheck we roam the city, eat together, play pool and hey that's nurturing friendship, that is the secret thing about having a band. We always felt like a gang. While having lunch together, we plan the gig and show elements. Regarding the payment...well, either the passion is so big that you play unpaid or badly paid gigs, or you really know what you are worth and claim that. I must admit though that our gigs were well paid, because most of the time we played out of the typical setting for a Blues band, means city festivals etc. and also I hated the fact when there were only 2 persons out of 100 that appreciated your music. That is the reason why, if I ever join a band again, I am goign to play only gigs where fans of the music style will be in the audience. Looking forward to my Hendrix Tribute Project that starts this May :-)
Before playing a gig I always check with the owner of the club, if he has a) a room for our stuff, b) if we we will have the key to the door to that room, c) if - best case scenario - he has an insurance for theft. I do not leave my guitars out of my eyes. Trust no one, stealing instruments is a bad thing and it happens everywhere!
Regarding carrying the equipment to the gig and back to the rehearsal room....yeah that was a plague back when we had tons of equipment, but it is also a question of how organized you are. I have reduced my equipment to the most effective setting and can easily bring my stuff to the gig and back. Same is valid for our drummer. It takes less than 20 minutes to uninstall the kit and put in in the car/bus. Luckily most clubs have their own P.A. system here :-)
One more thing regarding the meals and drinks before a gig. We have agreed on havong no alcoholic drinks before the gig, because we made some bad experiences with a drummer we played with. It was a rule - and it was a good rule! 1 or 2 beers during the gig were okay, but no more. I had no problem with that rule as my alcohol intake is almost ZERO. Having a light and healthy meal before the gig is important. Man, I don't wanna be singing and making a show with a huge pizza in my stomach...but I think that is also routine and experience that can differ from band to band.