Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

What's your SSS? (Surface Scratch Solution)

Thread: What's your SSS? (Surface Scratch Solution)

Post Thanks / Like

Default What's your SSS? (Surface Scratch Solution)

As a player/guitar owner I try to be careful and not knock them around too much but it happens fairly often that I do. Nothing major (usually) but do get the odd surface scratches now and then. I was wondering what do some of you use to bring the ol' luster back?

For a few years now I have been using toothpaste which was recommended to me by a Chinese violin maker for removing surface marks on violins. I thought it was a joke until I tried it. Works surprisingly well. Today I came across a product called Micro-Mesh which looks promising too. I just ordered some and am looking forward to trying it out. More info here:

https://micro-surface.com/index.php?...age=page&id=15

Anyone ever use this? Any other recommendations from anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Found in auto parts stores.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud. I did come across a few people recommending some Meguiar products. On your recommendation I'll order one of these off ebay. I don't think our stores carry it over here though I could be wrong. From what I read about this there was some concern about it containing silicone which some believe can cause problems however ScratchX now has a 2.0 version (that's what it's called) that supposedly doesn't.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

The only issue with silicone is that it will make it harder to refinish the guitar if you ever want to have it refinished.
    The guitar would have to be stripped totally. Most polishes will have silicone in them. Being in the auto restoration hobby, you get used to all the prep you have to do before painting to remove all traces of silicone. Otherwise you will get fisheyes in the paint That includes interior dyes. Armor All is the worst.
    Something with a micro abrasive, and then a good Carnuba wax over it will do wonders. Actually if the scratch is not "too" deep a good coat of wax will take care of it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Fender and Meguires got together and sold a kit. I have it and it does a nice job. They have however stopped making the kit! I lifted this from a Fender forum:

I emailed Meguiars and it was confirmed that the Fender Instrument Care Kit is no longer being made. I also asked them to tell me if there were direct Meguiars brand replacements. Here is what I was told:

"Those products were a little different from our normal automotive products, but we do have some that are very close. For the swirl and haze remover, you can use SwirlX. For the polish and conditioner, you can use Deep Crystal Polish or the #7 Show Car Glaze. For the mist and wipe, you can use Quik Detailer or the #34 Final Inspection."

Hope this helps those who are looking for an alternative to the Fender branded kit.
    Guitars: '06 Les Paul Classic Goldtop, '07 SG classic, '79 ES335TD Blond, '88 Telecaster, '08 Custom Shop Strat 57 NOS, Framus '69 Goucho Acoustic, '72 Framus Caravelle hollow body, '09 Hagstrom Swede, '10 Ibanez AG95 and '69 Heit

Amps: Fender Blues Deluxe Tweed, Marshall JCM 900 50W full stack, Roland Cube 20XL and '69 Checkmate!

Pedals: (all DVM) Tremolo, "Rabid Rodent" distortion, "Zonkin Yellow Screamer" OD/Boost, "Gee Ain't That Swell" volume swell, and "Mega Muff" fuzz

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I use all of those products on my collector cars. The Quick detailer is excellent. The Swirlx or ScratchX are also very good.
    The deep crystal polish is not as good as their carnuba wax. The Glaze would seal the finish after you polish out the scratch.
    It also fills in anything left by the scratch.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mapka View Post
    Fender and Meguires got together and sold a kit. I have it and it does a nice job. They have however stopped making the kit!:
    This truly sucks this is what I use and work great darn.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

Harley makes some nice products. Scratch and swirl remover and Harley glaze do a great job on most superficial scratches. They also have a thing called soft cloths which are lint free polishing cloths and help you get a really nice finish. Certain kinds of cloths can actually cause scratches too but these softcloths won't as long as they're clean.
    For more significant scatches that Micro Mesh is really cool stuff. I stripped a guitar down to bare wood, sprayed it with Reranch rattle cans, and brought the finish up to this gloss using only the Micro Mesh. Follow their directions, keep it clean, and rinse often

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by otaypanky View Post
    Harley makes some nice products.
    hahahahaha how I laugh at this ! You made my day........

Hardley Davidsons make nice tractors I agree.......motorbikes - FAAAAAAAAAAAIL. Although I do race a GSXR so maybe thats why I hate them so.....! Or maybe its the public servant wanna be Rebels that sh1t me either way their bikes are RUBBISH!

dubdubdubdotcunningstunts.com I AM THE J-RAD!! mmwwwuahahaha

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about their polishing products.
    Obviously you weren't listening to your mother when she told you that if you had nothing nice to say then STFU

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I guess Harleys etc. divide opinions pretty sharply. I've never had a motorcycle although I have a bike driving licence, and at 40 it'd be a hard call if I did - would I want to look like some dude in a very deep midlife crisis trying to escape growing old, or someone who's never made it there or grown out of the Power Rangers phase - tough call...I guess I'd rather stick with cars entirely, bikes are for the young...just would look plain wrong if I rode a bike methinks.

Then again, many might say there's no place in rock music for people past 30 either...so to each their own.

But as for the OP, the only cleaning products I've ever used on guitars have been Gibson fretboard oil for rosewoods - bought a small bottle in '92 and it's still more than half full - and I have sometimes used Johnson Pled furniture polish spray to lightly sweep them if I've put them on sale.

But as a rule, I never clean my guitars except the neck/fretboard, or worry about their battle scars...they're just cool and make the guitar look real and well used and loved.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously you weren't listening to your mother when she told you that if you had nothing nice to say then STFU
    Huh. My mom never told me to STFU...
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I was talking about their polishing products.
    Sorry mate didn't mean to offend, I was only taking the p1ss and knew what you meant it was just the obvious joke.....having ridden for 30+years it's just an ongoing joke about Harleys (and even Ducati's in a differnt sense) but essentially we all ride for a similar reason so I have no problems with them or their riders really. Many of my mates own them and cop a bit of curry from the sportsbike crew but they give as good as they get I do think what they cost to buy is a bit crazy considering they're still stuck in the 60/70s with their technology.....anyhow please accept my apology

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    I guess Harleys etc. divide opinions pretty sharply. I've never had a motorcycle although I have a bike driving licence, and at 40 it'd be a hard call if I did - would I want to look like some dude in a very deep midlife crisis trying to escape growing old, or someone who's never made it there or grown out of the Power Rangers phase - tough call...I guess I'd rather stick with cars entirely, bikes are for the young...just would look plain wrong if I rode a bike methinks.

Then again, many might say there's no place in rock music for people past 30 either...so to each their own.

But as for the OP, the only cleaning products I've ever used on guitars have been Gibson fretboard oil for rosewoods - bought a small bottle in '92 and it's still more than half full - and I have sometimes used Johnson Pled furniture polish spray to lightly sweep them if I've put them on sale.

But as a rule, I never clean my guitars except the neck/fretboard, or worry about their battle scars...they're just cool and make the guitar look real and well used and loved.
    I disagree, much like music, it doesn't matter when you start. Yes if you were trying to be a 'power ranger' it might look a bit silly, just like seeing some 50+yr old guy playing death metal or something equally horrid. (each to their own of course sheesh I don't want to OFFEND anyone here!!) The only thing that concerns me about your post is that you've never ridden but you have a bike licence!? Here in Oz, no matter what the age and how much car driving experience you have you must apply and sit a special course. This is so the born agains (50+yr olds, USED to ride but haven't in 20+years but have kept their riders licence) don't go and buy the 1000cc sportsbike, which is a WHOLE lot more powerful than the 1200 they had back in the day and then they go crash and burn.....it USED to be you could just ask them for a bike licence but the law makers changed that some 10 years ago.

Anyhow, there are Touring bikes, motards and dirt bikes I think suit any one of any age......riding is listed as one of the five things you should do before you die and I've not known of many ppl having a go and not being 'bitten by the bug' it is very addictive. My old man now 60 still rides both dirt and road and who cares what ppl think!

Onto music stuff since that's why I am here reading and not on my own forums > +1 for Meguiars gear. I use this on my bikes and cars and it's the ONLY stuff I'd use. Hadn't thought of using the quick detailer on a guitar and much like you I think a guitar that has some 'war' wounds doesn't matter just shows you use it and I'm more concerned that using some cleaning product could end up ruining something more than a slight surface scratch........

Has anyone actually used the Meguiars stuff on their guitar yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah I don't see nuthin' wrong with older people motorcycling, but it's also very obvious when there's a rider like I would be if I started now...you know, you can see a mile away they're absolute beginners at it, and I can't help but be amused about it, thinking like 'now he's got a bad midlife crisis'.

Like, you know, two of my neighbors who are both past 40 bought harleys in recent years, one right when he divorced, and one as his business changed and he became an entrepreneur...now after a few years the other looks like a credible biker already and tinkers with his bike a lot, but the other is clearly a businessman waveringly driving a gleaming brand new harley and that's what I'd look like for sure...so I think it's not for me.

But the main reason 4 me is I've personally driven over one motorist and seen 2 fatal accidents up close plus my best friend died on his bike horribly at like 30mph accident...so years ago I woved there will never be a motorbike or even a moped in my household, and I will forbid and beg my sons to never drive one...I've said I'll rather get them both AK-74's and 9mm Glocks than let them get anything 2-wheeled and motor powered...

As for the licence, yeah, back in the day when I got my licence the motorcycle licence was a given...I did ride mopeds etc. but never a bigger bike. But it came automatically; I have an ABE card that means cars, motorcycles and trailers; these days you only get an A nothing else without extra lessons.

Hell, these days you even need a driving licence for mopeds...when I was a kid that wasn't even imaginable...every kid would be driving mopeds and light motorcycles in their teens and never dreamed you'd need a card to drive. I guess it's because now there are even 'moped cars' which are just like small regular cars with a 600cc diesel engine, but can be driven at 15 years with a moped card because they move 40km/h max.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

...and back to scratch removal.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud
    And thank you very much FusedGrooves

Post Thanks / Like

Alright...
    After exhaustive testing, I have determined my top 3 scratch removers. All are good though I found choice number one to be the most versatile. Now, here they are:

Choice #3:

Cheap Chinese Toothpaste (CCT). Probably any toothpaste will do here however I've had my best experience with CCT. Mostly the small tubes that come with hotel room toothpaste kits (I have alot of them).

Pros: Mild abrasive that's good for smoothing light surface marks. Particularly good for softer varnishes. Cheap!

Cons: Gums up easily. Must be used with care to avoid scratching. Not for final polish

Choice #2

Meguiar's Scratch XX (2.0)
    This was Spudman's recommendation and a very good one for a low abrasive polish.

Pros: Great for removing light surface scratches. A very good swirl remover and final polish.

Cons: More of a last phase surface smoother/polish. Some talk that this may (or may not) contain silicone (which could cause problems if you ever want to refinish your guitar).

Choice #1

Mesh-Smooth liquid abrasive and Micro-Mesh cloths

Pros: Cloths come in a wide variety of grits to take you from deeper scratches to final mirror finish. Uniform grit pattern (so they say, and I tend to believe them) for even sand/polish. Cloths are thin, somewhat spongy and conform well to shapes. Great for fret polishing. Mesh Smooth liquid is similar to Scratch X but I think it does a little better job on swirls. Superb mirror finish.

Cons: Cannot be found so easily as Meguiar's and is more expensive than free toothpaste.

Well there you have it. My top 3 scratch removers.

I needed a quick break from work and for some reason decided to write about toothpaste etc. Maybe I need a vacation...