Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Fender Blues Jr. is just stupid loud

Thread: My Fender Blues Jr. is just stupid loud

Post Thanks / Like

Default My Fender Blues Jr. is just stupid loud

I've been spending more and more time with my Blues Jr. lately - of course the thing barely breaks up unless you crank the pre-amp volume and turn the master down to like 0.25 out of 10! That's good enough for me to hear it clearly but even nudging the master volume just a smidge is loud enough have my neighbors (separate standalone house!) knocking on my door.

I'm considering downsizing to a VOX ACTV4 - max 4 watts, with power attenuator for 0.25W, 1W or 4W. Seems to be a good compromise but I have to admit that I've become pretty fond of the Blues Jr. tone.

I do have a Boss Blues Driver in front of the Fender but it's just not the same as the true tube sound when I crank the pre-amp volume. That's a much lovelier tube crunch.

What do I stand to lose going from the Blues Jr. to the VOX? Is there another way to address my living room rockstar needs w/o bailing on the Blues Jr. ??
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I think Fender amps are notorious for jumping in volume. You could try to crank the master and put the gain down really low to see what kind of power-tube distortion you can get out of it at reasonable volumes. In other words, see how sensitive the master volume truly is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Try this simple mod from BillM for $10. The 6th one down at this page:
    http://billmaudio.com/wp/?page_id=65

Audio-taper master volume control: $10
    Hate the way the loudness jumps up between 1 and 2 on the master volume when you’re trying to play quietly? The audio taper control expands the 1-2 range to 6 or so, then things get much louder beyond that. Ideal for home/apartment playing; doesn’t affect maximum loudness. A solder sucker is recommended to remove old pot. The shaft is shorter than stock; aftermarket setscrew knobs will not work; we have an option for Texas Reds, the Series III, and other Blues Juniors that use screw-on knobs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

Hate the way the loudness jumps up between 1 and 2 on the master volume when you’re trying to play quietly? The audio taper control expands the 1-2 range to 6 or so, then things get much louder beyond that. Ideal for home/apartment playing; doesn’t affect maximum loudness. A solder sucker is recommended to remove old pot. The shaft is shorter than stock; aftermarket setscrew knobs will not work; we have an option for Texas Reds, the Series III, and other Blues Juniors that use screw-on knobs.
    Wow - never seen that site before! Not sure how comfortable I am working on my amp, but I do have a decent soldering iron and some skills. Sounds just like what I need!

I've also checked out some youtube videos and people are getting better tones than I am with the Boss Blues Driver - I'm going to spend some time working with the pedal tonight and see if I can get a bit closer to what I'm looking for.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post

Yup, I heartily endorse that modification. The problem isn't the loudness of the amp itself but rather the inability to control the volume effectively at the low end with the stock linear taper master volume pot. And while you're at it, you might want to consider buying the audio taper pot for your BJr's reverb control, as well, if you find it's hard to adjust effectively at the low end. It's the next mod kit down on that same page, also $10. I did both of these mods on my BJr, and now I typically run the master volume between 5 and 6 and the reverb right around 6. Much more useful sweep range on both pots!

BTW, they're the first two control pots from the left in this photo--the stock pots have to be desoldered from the circuit board and replaced with the audio taper versions:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Is there something like this for the Hot Rod Deluxe? 1-2 is a major jump for me.
    http://www.justinjeremias.com

Highway One Tele > Korg DT-10 tuner > GGG ITS8 (langraff) > BYOC OD2 Mosfet > GGG Tremelo > DD7 (with tap) > Modded DL4 > Dunlop Volume > Hot Rod Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

I used to have one of the NOS tweed versions. Man that was a sweet little amp. I'd live in a cave if I had to, but I could not live somewhere that I wasn't able to just twist the wick on the volume when I felt like it. I feel your pain bro ~~~

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the Blues Junior special edition, and I love that little amp. I am in a position to crank it if I want at home.
    What I found is that I am playing my Vibro Champ XD more than any other amp. 5 Watts, and 16 voices, with 16 effects. You can get that BJ tone all day, and even cranked marshall tone. I bought the Super Champ XD to take to my vacation home. I liked it so much I went out and bought the Vibro Champ. I will keep the Super at home.
    For your case the Super with 15 watts might be overkill, so I would recommend the Vibro Champ XD. I was able to get mine in mint condition for 125 used. So for about the price of a decent pedal I have a wonderful amp.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

How did the Vibro Champ slip by me?? Sounds great!

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

After watching YouTube videos all morning I went out at lunch and picked up the Vibro Champ XD - can't wait to get home and start putting it's through it's paces.

not sure if I'm going to sell off the Blues Jr...I'll probably wait until the VCXD honeymoon period goes by and make a decision then. Looks to be a great amp for $200 though.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I use voice 7 with the gain fairly high, and for effects I use reverb/delay. Gives that little slap back. I ususally have the bass on full and the treble really low. I was playing my Super Champ today with my new Gibby SG Standard. It just sounds amazing.
    If you want the basic clean blues junior tone I think it is 3 on the voice. I really am amazed at how nice the Vibro Champ sounds even with that 8 inch speaker. I have a Vox Pathfinder 15 R at my vacation home and I will be bringing it back to sell.
    There is no comparison to my Vibro. I was very lucky to get the one I did so cheap. It is absolutely perfect. I even got all the hang tags and that top cardboard display piece with it. I am sure you will not be dissappointed.
    One thing you have to remember with this amp. If you change voices you will probably need to adjust the levels to suit your taste. But the tone makes it worth it.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Well all I can say is this amp is perfect. I've only played my Epi LP Special p-90's and Peavey strat with the fender noiseless pickups through the amp so far so all single coils.

So many of the voicings are usable - and one thing I noticed about this amp is that the controls on the guitar go a long way towards getting the sound you're looking for. With other amps using the volume and tone doesn't affect the tone positively. Rolling off the tone on the guitar with this amp results in a clear not muddy tone.

Just the right amount of grit can be dialed in with the gain control. This amp is no slouch either when it comes to volume - with the gain about 8 and the volume at five it's pretty darn loud.

There's cleans, dirty blues, classic rock, rock and metal tones to be had with this amp. Fender really has a hit on it's hands with this amp. 100% awesome IMO.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Is this the Blues Jr. you're talking about, or did you get the Vibro Champ XD?
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    Well all I can say is this amp is perfect. I've only played my Epi LP Special p-90's and Peavey strat with the fender noiseless pickups through the amp so far so all single coils.

So many of the voicings are usable - and one thing I noticed about this amp is that the controls on the guitar go a long way towards getting the sound you're looking for. With other amps using the volume and tone doesn't affect the tone positively. Rolling off the tone on the guitar with this amp results in a clear not muddy tone.

Just the right amount of grit can be dialed in with the gain control. This amp is no slouch either when it comes to volume - with the gain about 8 and the volume at five it's pretty darn loud.

There's cleans, dirty blues, classic rock, rock and metal tones to be had with this amp. Fender really has a hit on it's hands with this amp. 100% awesome IMO.
    I was a skeptic about modellers. I agree with you on this amp. They are just about perfect for home use, and I am sure with the Super Champ and a PA you could gig with it.
    The Blues is alright!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    Is this the Blues Jr. you're talking about, or did you get the Vibro Champ XD?
    I picked up the Vibro Champ XD
    Dave