Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "He died doing what he loved" Is it always ok?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's my take on this if your single do what you want as you wish.
    But if your a father/parent and the risk you take does not encompass your job/career your just being selfish.
    Because your thrill seeking choice will leave a father-less or mother-less child in your wake once your a parent if your kids are not placed high in the priority of your life shame on you.

I love to kayak rapids & ocean I have my own custom build rigs two for rapids and 2 for the ocean. I have been doing this since I was 8 years old.
    I have gone down size 6 rapids (heck even 10's back before America adopted the European grading systems for rapids.) hundreds of times kayak in the ocean miles off-shore but once I became a father I cut back on those activities my knowledge and skill is way above average but accidents happen to the most skilled people as well so to reduce the risk to my family I go out kayaking only occasionally now. Sure things could still go wrong but not to take any precaution on my part would be irresponsible and selfish at best given the negative outcome my death would have for my family.

Best example of this the Rapids in the Kern river is the best it has been in over 15 years and will be all month as the snow melts from the high Sierras and Rockies.
    Man oh man I would love to go for a ride in March but the risk would be sky high the Kern river can be one deadly river. I honestly do not think anything would happen since I never go alone or unprepared but why risk it wait until late April early May the ride will still be better than all of last year and the risk to my family will be greatly reduce so its a no brainer.

Once your a parent its all about fun with in reason risk V.S. reward.
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

My answer is: it depends. If a person loves playing Russian Roullette, and manages to catch the magic bullet one day, would everyone say that "He died doing what he loved?" I would hope not.

OTOH, a police officer or a fireman, who loves their job, dies in the line of duty saving others, then "He died doing what he loved" could be appropriate.

I think the author's point of view was one of someone responsible for saving lives. No one in that line of work wants to have to hear someone say that phrase, when the death happened on their shift.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

All's I know is that I want to say "Amen" at the end of my last sermon and then spontaneously combust. That's leave an impression.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold View Post
    All's I know is that I want to say "Amen" at the end of my last sermon and then spontaneously combust. That's leave an impression.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What I'm QUITE certain of, is that I DO NOT want to extend my life no matter how my loved ones might feel about it.

I do not understand why would anybody want to live till they're so old and feeble they need diapers already etc?

My own mother is also quite demented, might live for a decade still, but if it were allowed, I'd slip her a death pill already. I would want one, in her state.
    My plan all along has been to only increase my alcohol and cigarette intake when I get older. I suppose my kids might by then be trying to get me to live healthy and whatnot...but why would I want to do that? I see no allure in sitting in a rocking chair crying about my aches all the day; or even worse rot away in some hospital for half a decade, begging nurses to please change my diaper at least once a day or to take me outside at least once a week...I've worked a summer job in a geriatric ward and man it's horrible, old people take years to die and it's just horrid how they just lie there in diapers and relatives visit once a week or once a month and they hardly recognize them any more...damned two nurses to every 50 patients etc...jeez anything rather than that fate.

No, I'd rather die doing what I like to do, which might be for instance sailing on a sunny sea and drinking a lot of Cognac. I don't believe in any form of afterlife or souls or anything remotely like that, I know for sure it's just over when it's over and no different from, like me turning off my computer when nature turns off my power, so I'm just concerned with how my kids will fare once I'm gone. I plan to give all my possessions to them while I'm still sane and all that, so there's no inheritance to deal with, and for the final years just do what ever I please, drink and smoke and maybe write a book or two, and hopefully keel over with a fat cigar on my lips while having a nice buzz from cognac.

I just wish my mom woulda started smoking and drinking in her old age so now she would not have to suffer for so long.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My past years in the fire/EMS/medical field taught me that quality of life is more important than quantity alone. Seeing many patients with no useful brain activity or in perpetual, unbearable pain from something that will soon kill them builds this understanding. Life is precious, yet sometimes it can be cruel beyond all recognition. While I respect opposing opinions, I welcome anyone to spend time in a hospice to broaden their horizons.

There are times that the most graceful event is death itself when compared to unimaginable pain and suffering. Some people see their loved ones slipping away and understandably wish they would stay alive longer in hopes of a cure, or for selfish reasons (not wanting to be alone, etc.). The welfare of the patient must come first in these cases. I don't say we should play God with another's life, but the bigger picture is clear when we truly care and see that continued suffering is indeed cruel and actually pointless.

However, when you face death up close, the desire to live is quite powerful. Ask any nurse who has worked in a burn ward, for instance. In the same stroke, you see cancer patients sitting outside the cancer treatment hospital or hospice with IV bags, still smoking. Regardless of addiction, I'll never understand that scene!

There are times to bend like a reed in the wind, and there are times to fight the good fight with everything you got.

Tomorrow is promised to no person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Deeaa, I get what you are saying, as I watch my Mother in Law start to decline with some dementia. But that said, I don't think it is an either or thing. Meaning, you don't have to have your hair so completely and unreasonably on fire that you die too young by taking poor risks or just not paying attention. Maybe save the skiing into a base jump after flying with one of those flying squirrel suits until you are close to needing to be in a home, and are done raising the kids?

Shane McConkey, whose death begat a whole lot of the "at least he died doing what he loved" talk, added one of these:

To this:

So he added the risk of a wing suit, to the risk of base jumping, to the risk of his ski equipment not working. his bindings did not release as required for him to combine the wing suit and the base jump, and very sadly, he passed.

He was a hero to a lot of kids I coach, and still is. But I have asked the kids I coach to read this article, think this out for themselves. The risks are real. They are 17, and starting to throw large jumps and tricks. They have and are developing skills that if used to full potential, carry consequences. So they need to think this out for themselves, and not just follow that slogan too literally.

Here is Adam, who I coach, with his latest trick:

He is a strong kid, who puts tons of time in on a tramp to do this. He will do what he will do, but I don't want him to follow blindly.

This vid tells the McConkey story in the comments:

Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Exactly Steve. That's why right now, as my kids are small, I take super care of everything, live very safe and lead a (more or less) healthy lifestyle with plenty of exercise too and healthy eating of lots of salads etc. and cigs, alcohol and rock'n'roll in moderation. Because I want to stay well till I'm retiring and my kids are standing on their own. Then I'm free to do whatever!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    My past years in the fire/EMS/medical field taught me that quality of life is more important than quantity alone. Seeing many patients with no useful brain activity or in perpetual, unbearable pain from something that will soon kill them builds this understanding. Life is precious, yet sometimes it can be cruel beyond all recognition. While I respect opposing opinions, I welcome anyone to spend time in a hospice to broaden their horizons.

There are times that the most graceful event is death itself when compared to unimaginable pain and suffering. Some people see their loved ones slipping away and understandably wish they would stay alive longer in hopes of a cure, or for selfish reasons (not wanting to be alone, etc.). The welfare of the patient must come first in these cases. I don't say we should play God with another's life, but the bigger picture is clear when we truly care and see that continued suffering is indeed cruel and actually pointless.

However, when you face death up close, the desire to live is quite powerful. Ask any nurse who has worked in a burn ward, for instance. In the same stroke, you see cancer patients sitting outside the cancer treatment hospital or hospice with IV bags, still smoking. Regardless of addiction, I'll never understand that scene!

There are times to bend like a reed in the wind, and there are times to fight the good fight with everything you got.

Tomorrow is promised to no person.

Well said.

It put me in mind of this, which I believe are some of his best lyrics. Some great guitar work too.

"I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12