Here's my take on this if your single do what you want as you wish.
But if your a father/parent and the risk you take does not encompass your job/career your just being selfish.
Because your thrill seeking choice will leave a father-less or mother-less child in your wake once your a parent if your kids are not placed high in the priority of your life shame on you.

I love to kayak rapids & ocean I have my own custom build rigs two for rapids and 2 for the ocean. I have been doing this since I was 8 years old.
I have gone down size 6 rapids (heck even 10's back before America adopted the European grading systems for rapids.) hundreds of times kayak in the ocean miles off-shore but once I became a father I cut back on those activities my knowledge and skill is way above average but accidents happen to the most skilled people as well so to reduce the risk to my family I go out kayaking only occasionally now. Sure things could still go wrong but not to take any precaution on my part would be irresponsible and selfish at best given the negative outcome my death would have for my family.

Best example of this the Rapids in the Kern river is the best it has been in over 15 years and will be all month as the snow melts from the high Sierras and Rockies.
Man oh man I would love to go for a ride in March but the risk would be sky high the Kern river can be one deadly river. I honestly do not think anything would happen since I never go alone or unprepared but why risk it wait until late April early May the ride will still be better than all of last year and the risk to my family will be greatly reduce so its a no brainer.

Once your a parent its all about fun with in reason risk V.S. reward.