Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My next project: Converting the Tele

View Poll Results: What do you think of my plans for the Tele?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweet! That'll be one hot mama!

7 70.00%
  • Yuck, that looks silly. You should leave it stock.

0 0%
  • Who cares, it's not a Les Paul!

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My next project: Converting the Tele

Post Thanks / Like

Default My next project: Converting the Tele

Last year I bought a White Bridge Tele clone, and right from the get-go I've had plans in mind. I really like the guitar, but I want to add some unique character to it. Here's what it looks like now:

And here's what I'd like it to look like when I'm through:

One slight difference, possibly. I may put a GFS Dream 90 in the neck instead of a humbucker, at least to start with. If I like it, I'll probably leave it. If it's kind of...meh...then I'll swap it for one of my many magnet swap recipients. It will also get a 4-way switch for the series/parallel option, a Russian PIO tone cap (.033) and CTS pots. Oh yeah, and the knobs will actually be black, not chrome.

So, what do you think, gang? Thumbs up, or not so much? Most of the parts will be here in about a week or so, and surgery will hopefully start soon after, time allowing. Should be fun!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

I like everything but the headstock color. Keep us updated on the progress!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

The Dream 90 works great in the neck position
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33 View Post
    The Dream 90 works great in the neck position
    That's good, because that's what I have already. I considered getting a Mean 90, but I already have the Dream from a trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I like everything but the headstock color.
    Ah, are you one of those "I don't like matching headstocks" people, Eric? Understandable. If I get lazy, I may leave it natural. Hard to say at this point.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

DO IT! I think the matching headstock on a black tele w/ maple fretboard looks cool!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I would throw in a Seymour Duncan Blackout pup (or two!); then you'll have a really blacked-out tele!

However, I'm with Eric, leave the paint off the headstock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe View Post
    DO IT! I think the matching headstock on a black tele w/ maple fretboard looks cool!
    Thanks, Kat!

Quote Originally Posted by Full On Don
    I would throw in a Seymour Duncan Blackout pup (or two!); then you'll have a really blacked-out tele!
    METAL! Yeah, too much for this guitar. Maybe the next Tele, though!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Update: Just got a text from the future Mrs. FrankenFretter that my parts came today. That would be the pickguard, new control plate and dome knobs, CTS pots, Russian PIO tone cap (got that for free), Graphtec nut and a high quality four-way switch. I already have the Wilkinson bridge with compensated brass saddles. I didn't buy tuners, and I'm not sure if I will or not. If I find that the remaining chrome really bugs me, than I'll look for some black ones, but the Wilkinsons that are on there now are good tuners.

I downloaded the wiring schematic for the four way wiring, but I don't like the way the switch positions are. I'm not sure I'm competent enough to change the schematic, though. I'll probably just learn to live with it.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I started the project today. I figured I'd start by doing the humbucker routing for the Dream 90. I finally tried out my router attachment for my Dremel, and it worked great...for a while. I got about half done, and the bit quit turning. I think the clutch went out. I was not happy, but the future Mrs. FrankenFretter has a Dremel of her own. I politely asked to borrow it (I did play the birthday card, though), and took it upstairs in hope of finishing the job. Turns out that the router attachment doesn't fit her Dremel. Ironic, because the router stuff came with her Dremel when she bought it on Ebay.

Crap.

I also found out that the knobs that I bought don't fit the solid shaft CTS pots I bought at the same time.

Double crap.

This is turning out to be one of those projects that's not going to get done in a weekend. I should have known better. I'll try taking my Dremel back to Sears (it's a Craftsman branded tool) to see if they'll honor the lifetime warranty. I've heard that they're not very good about that anymore, which sucks since at the time I bought the thing it was a big selling point that if anything ever went wrong, I could just take it back and they'd replace it.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

taking my Dremel back to Sears (it's a Craftsman branded tool) to see if they'll honor the lifetime warranty. I've heard that they're not very good about that anymore, which sucks since at the time I bought the thing it was a big selling point that if anything ever went wrong, I could just take it back and they'd replace it.
    if by any chance you still have the receipt they have to honor it and replace although just this last month had two Craftsman tools bite the dust(what are the odds) and were replaced on the spot. it has to be the Sears store proper Not an outlet which has less chance of even stocking your tool or parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player View Post
    if by any chance you still have the receipt they have to honor it and replace although just this last month had two Craftsman tools bite the dust(what are the odds) and were replaced on the spot. it has to be the Sears store proper Not an outlet which has less chance of even stocking your tool or parts.
    No chance I still have the receipt; it's been years since I bought it. I'm hoping they'll still honor their end, though.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I like everything but the headstock color. Keep us updated on the progress!
    +1 leave the headstock plain is better IMHO too, otherwise go for it!
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually I like the headstock in black.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just some random thoughts:

I like the headstock black.

I did the same thing with knobs and solid shaft pots. Had to order knobs with set screws.

I also used a Dremel to make PUP holes for a P-90. It looks fine from 10 feet away (lol).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Just some random thoughts:

I like the headstock black.

I did the same thing with knobs and solid shaft pots. Had to order knobs with set screws.

I also used a Dremel to make PUP holes for a P-90. It looks fine from 10 feet away (lol).
    My knobs (two different sets, btw) are set screw...but they don't fit. The guy I bought everything from is sending me new split-shaft pots.

It sucks that the Dremel broke, because it actually was doing a good job. I was pretty impressed.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most of the time, I like a black headstock just fine. I even made my current build headstock black, it's only on strats and teles that it looks a little weird I guess.
    But, it might look just right when done...interested to see pics when it's done for sure!
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks classy except for the neck pickup cover I would rather put a gold cover it suits better a black body
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah - there's another interesting / dividing issue...gold hardware. Is it OK to mix and match gold and chrome, or not? Or how about black altogether?

I once actually painted my gold pickups black, dunno how much sense that made...but anyway, I'd go for black open-coils meself.
    But, these are all very much taste issues. Whatever it will be, it's gonna look real neat when done. Even the black headstock is growing on me slowly.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

You're right would probably be better to avoid mixing the two All Black is another option specially with the mapple fingerboard
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast