Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

My next project: Converting the Tele - Page 2

View Poll Results: What do you think of my plans for the Tele?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sweet! That'll be one hot mama!

7 70.00%
  • Yuck, that looks silly. You should leave it stock.

0 0%
  • Who cares, it's not a Les Paul!

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My next project: Converting the Tele

Post Thanks / Like

Initially, this will be in the neck position:

If I like it, it will stay there. If not, I have open coil and covered options. I could always buy a black cover for the PAF style pickup. Not sure which way I'll go yet. I also haven't ordered any black tuners yet. I haven't been able to find any black Wilkinsons that are in my price range.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post

If I like it, it will stay there. If not, I have open coil and covered options. I could always buy a black cover for the PAF style pickup. Not sure which way I'll go yet. I also haven't ordered any black tuners yet. I haven't been able to find any black Wilkinsons that are in my price range.
    $20 is too much?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore 64 View Post
    Thanks for the link, C64! Looks like some good prices. Have you used them before?
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used the black, locking tuners for $23. I wouldn't use those again, not because they suck, but because the thumb locking ones are easier to lock (for $10 more).

Post Thanks / Like

Just got the neck pickup in the mail. I decided, after much deliberation, to get an Irongear Alchemist 90. I need to rout out the body just a wee bit more for the pickup height tabs, then the soldering and such. Here's a pic of the new pickup:

I'll take some updated pics of the Tele soon. I hope the Alchemist lives up to my expectations!
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey, what's that in yer avatar? Anything like what I do in the summers like here?
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Hey, what's that in yer avatar? Anything like what I do in the summers like here?
    Much like that, but with two .45s and a cigar.

-Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Heheh...yeah! I use a .40S&W, 19 rounds to start with makes for just one clip change per course usually. IPSC.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa View Post
    Heheh...yeah! I use a .40S&W, 19 rounds to start with makes for just one clip change per course usually. IPSC.
    I've been considering a .40. Need to try one out first, but the company that makes the .45s I'm shooting in the photo makes a .40 for the same price as their .45s (around $180 US). They're a full composite frame, and very comfortable to shoot.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ah, what, 180??? Did you drop out a zero :-) I paid seventeen hundred for my race gun...next I'm looking to buy an AR-15 variant, maybe in .308 but likely just regular .223, and looking to spend something like 3K on it, if I ever get to it that is...haven't had much time for shooting of late.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

The brand is Hi-Point, and they're quite affordable. Not sure if they're available over there, but it might be worth checking on. They're sort of a poor man's Glock. They're not as nice as a Smith and Wesson, or a Sig Sauer, but they're not bad at all. Yeah, one hundred eighty, not eighteen hundred. Half the price of a used Glock 19.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nope, don't seem to be available here.

I used to have a Glock 35 as well in .40 but that was, contrary to the usual Glock, a very unrelieable gun indeed.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pics, FF and Dee!

I've owned Glocks, but the grip angle does nothing for me. I'm a 1911 fan myself. Never shot a HiPoint before. I always looked at them with what could be a way too critical eye. I'll have to see if I can try one out sometime.

I've got a relative who's a big fan of the Springfield Armory XD series. I haven't shot one yet, but they do feel comfortable in the hand. I've been wanting to go to the range again. It's been way too long.

Another brand I've been wanting to try is CZ. The CZ75 is a solid firearm, and that, too, feels comfortable in the hand.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have owned a CZ75; they're not expensive here, I think I paid ~500 for mine, 9mm.

It's a good small-feeling gun in hand, prone to breaking the slide lever...also modded mine with an ejector spring shortened from an AK-47 one for more reliable ejections. Nice gun, but hardly has the longevity of 1911's or Glocks especially.

Beretta is also a good gun; had a Brigadier for a while, but it's not very handy for IPSC (awkward safeties etc.)

I like my 1911 just fine, but if I were rich, I'd go for an STI or SVI 2011 series gun, those are superb.

And I did like the Glock grip angle - it really needs no aiming at under 3 metre distances, just point as if with your forefinger and shoot, very natural angle for that. Horrible gun for shooting to longer distances.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like

"He's the all-American bullet-headed Saxon mother's son"

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a mockup, pickup in place. Looks like I won't have to rout the body any more after all.

A bit dusty, but that can be taken care of when I'm done.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    The brand is Hi-Point, and they're quite affordable. Not sure if they're available over there, but it might be worth checking on. They're sort of a poor man's Glock. They're not as nice as a Smith and Wesson, or a Sig Sauer, but they're not bad at all. Yeah, one hundred eighty, not eighteen hundred. Half the price of a used Glock 19.
    That is exactly what I'm looking for for home defense. The Remington 870 12GA is a bit cumbersom, but I like shotguns that don't penetrate walls. I sold my S&W 9mm years ago and need a decent yet affordable .40 SW.

Ah, and I can't wait to see the Tele after you complete it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm slightly amazed at the number of gun enthusiasts on here. I've never really seriously considered owning a gun, particularly for home defense, even though I used to have a shotgun for pheasant hunting back when I lived in the midwest. It's just sort of strange to learn that so many people do something that never really occurred to you before, you know?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Sure, Eric, you have no idea how many burglaries, home invasions, rapes, muggings, etc. are foiled by gun owners.

Right.......

Guns are fun for target practice, but otherwise are only good for mayhem of one kind or another.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast