Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
TS-10 Tube Screamer "Switch on Squawk"

Thread: TS-10 Tube Screamer "Switch on Squawk"

Post Thanks / Like

Default TS-10 Tube Screamer "Switch on Squawk"

Hello All

I modded my TS-10 to bring it to TS-808 spec, and as expected, it now squawks when switched on at high levels. I have read on Analogman's website that he has fixed this problem, but I was not able to find out how. Anybody know how to fix the "squawk"?
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Amp: Marshall TSL100 amp head with JCM900 1960 Lead 4 X 12 angled cab

Effects: Crybaby, TS10 Tube Screamer, Badder Bad Monkey, Boss Metal Zone

Post Thanks / Like

Just a pop when switched on, or does the sound continue?
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a squawk when switched, the sound does not continue. Analogman and the others whose tutorials I used said that this would happen to a TS-10 when modded to 808 spec, which is weird, because the TS-808 did not have the same issue. I think they say the switching fets are different, and maybe this causes it.
    Guit Boxes: 87 MIJ Strat, Ibanez MIJ RG540, Korean Fender Dreadnaught, The Loar LH-500 (1934 L-5 Reproduction)

Post Thanks / Like

In that case, if you're planning to convert to true bypass anyway, which will completely bypass the FET switching circuitry, why even bother with this? The DPDT switch configuration I posted in your other thread generally takes care of any switch-related popping very nicely.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

That's true, and I am working on that mod, but it's a little difficult because the TS-10 housing doesn't fit a round panel mount switch. I have read on forums that for this reason, many people rehouse their TS-10's in addition to the 808 conversion. The in/out and power connector's are also pcb mounted and kinda crappy, yet another reason to rehouse it. Me being the stubborn jackass that I am, because the big modder's out there don't offer the true bypass mod for the TS-10, I want to make it work, just to do what they don't. I figured I would replace the 1/4" jacks and 9v connector with sturdier panel mounted ones as well. Probably more trouble than the thing is worth, but it was given to me by an older blues player so I like its mojo and want to hang on to it.

The switchcraft connectors I bought had to be filed down to fit, and I had to order a switch which I am waiting for, so in the mean time I put it together so I could play with it as is until I have properly fit all the parts for the bypass. To remove existing switch, I will likely have to destroy it, making it basically unusable until I work out the switch. And again, as it is, it works, it just squawks. Which isn't that big a deal, but from what I read on Analogman's site, it's probably a simple fix.