Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big earthquake hits Japan... Syo, check in, brother!

Post Thanks / Like

I watched it live late last night on an internet feed. The footage of people running from the torrent and then being overtaken is so heartbreaking. The last time I felt that way was watching people jump out of the WTC towers. Just surreal.
    http://www.justinjeremias.com

Highway One Tele > Korg DT-10 tuner > GGG ITS8 (langraff) > BYOC OD2 Mosfet > GGG Tremelo > DD7 (with tap) > Modded DL4 > Dunlop Volume > Hot Rod Deluxe

Post Thanks / Like

The water surged within 1 minute of the quake, no time to flee, most on the coastal streets were doomed from the start. Here on Oahu, just down from me in Honolulu at Keehi Lagoon small boat harbor, the La Mariana Sailing Club's dockage is essentially wiped out, havn't heard about Kewalo Basin or Ala Wai harbors yet. At least 10 boats sunk, more nearly there, at least 3 docks ripped apart and floating away with boats attached. The famous club survived, but it's a huge mess outside and who knows what that means to it's ultimate survival... No loss of life reported from anywhere, that I've heard. Harbors island wide got damage, from some to plenty, the wrap-around surges got nearly everybody to some degree. We dodged another bullet but someday it'll get us again, just like Japan now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    I'm hoping Syo is busy watching the coverage, comfortable in his undamaged home. I'm not sure where he lives versus the epicenter location.
    Thanks, all, for checking on us. We're fine here in Himeji which is a good 700-800 miles away from the worst of it. We didn't feel a thing here however our daughter was a little shook up about a hundred miles away in Osaka. She was in her apartment and she said the tower was swaying pretty good. Some small concern about tsunamis as we are only a few miles from the ocean with a river a stone's throw away but nothing really to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by Tio Kimo View Post
    incomprehensible devastation. Makes Katrina look like a Thunderstorm by comparison. Look forward to hearing SYO. Prayers to everyone in Japan. No one will escape being dramatically impacted in that country.
    I think you're right about that TK. Right now we are just bracing to hear what the extent of the bad news is and praying for those affected. I think the thing that scares me most is that we are getting far more news on the effects of the quake in the Tokyo area which was about 300 kilometers or so from the really bad stuff but not too much from the devastated north. I suppose this is natural as the infrastructure is still intact in Tokyo and it is the media center of the country but I think we really have very little idea about the extent of the damage/mortality in the worst hit areas.

Our friends in and around Tokyo have all said that this was the worst they have ever experienced which is saying alot for the Japanese.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for update. It is good to know you and your family are safe and in good condition.
    We can all have a collective sigh of relief now.

Post Thanks / Like

I just heard from my friends in Obihiro, and they're fine. I guess they are far enough north, and far enough inland that they weren't affected. Huge sigh of relief to hear from them and from Syo.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So glad to hear you and your family is ok Syo! Sending prayers for all those affected!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear you are okay, Syo.

Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone who suffers from this tsunami.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

good news very cool be safe syo
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to hear that the "turtle's shell" moving has wreaked havoc in Japan. Glad to hear that you and yours are OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by syo View Post
    Our friends in and around Tokyo have all said that this was the worst they have ever experienced which is saying alot for the Japanese.
    I've got friends in Tokyo as well, This morning they are still feeling significant aftershocks, and are feeling very surreal. People are seeking each other out to simply share the process and the anxiety.

So Glad you're safe and sound SYO.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

I just read that the nuclear power people are saying that after the last (3rd) blast at the nuke plant, a one hour exposure outside the plant is equivalent to "8 times what a person might experience naturally during the year". I suppose using the word "naturally" is meant to throw people off. By my math anyway that is something like 70,000 time normal levels. Why don't they just say so?! Time to stock up on seaweed (great iodine source). Wife and I are off to the super now...

Post Thanks / Like

They are not being very truthful with what's going on with those reactors. I saw a report that one of the facilities has the rods fully exposed. Geez...
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmm, imagine that. Ok, I gotta watch it or I am going to break the politics rules.

Syo, I hope everything continues to be ok with you and yours. And I wish quick recovery for your country and its people.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Another one (7.4) hit off the coast somewhere apparently. An additional Tsunami warning. http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/07...issued/?hpt=T2

Syo, check in again please. I am hoping the 7.4 one won't create more big problems. Prayers and warm wishes out your way!

EDIT: Looks like an oceanwide Tsunami is not expected. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_japan_earthquake I don't know, but it seems like whatever is going to happen would have happened by now. Hoping things will be ok.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Syo... Our deepest wishes for the safety for you and your family... I hope to hear that you are well.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Syo, check in again please. I am hoping the 7.4 one won't create more big problems. Prayers and warm wishes out your way!
    Yup, all ok here. Thanks for checking Steve and CB. Although anything is possible, we are rather well protected from tsunamis as there is a large island (Shikoku) between us and the open sea. From what I understand, 7.4 did create a small tsunami (1 meter) but didn't cause any further problems.

Our main concern, where we live is the food supply. Now we check out where all our produce comes from and avoid things from the area of the nuke plant. Though we eat out half the time so I guess we don't worry too much. Yet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great to hear! I was hoping that would be the case. Thanks for checking in!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I hope everything remains okay for you and yours, and the food supply remains unaffected... Stay safe!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12