Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I bought myself a (cheap but new) bass guitar!

Thread: I bought myself a (cheap but new) bass guitar!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up I bought a bass guitar (cheap and brand new)!!

First Act ME105 bass guitar. Basswood body, 20 fret maple neck with rosewood fretboard, single split pickup. Has a nice black sparkle finish with a pearloid pickguard.

I needed a simple bass guitar for recording--something that would let me lay down my own basslines (I used to emulate bass lines with the guitar using software--usually with sucky results). After a quickie setup and tuning, It plays very nice, although it feels odd (I'm not used to playing bass). I dunno about bass tone, but it provides me the low end I needed for my recordings. It's light, no fret sprout whatsoever, hardware seems sturdy. The nut is kinda suspect, though, and the pots work more like switches. New pots will be on it soon.

But it's good enuff for me. Especially at $49. With a two-year warranty.

Here's a quick thingie I recorded, plugged DI into the laptop (no J-Station). It should sound even better through the J. Excuse the crappy, noisy playing. BTW, I was using a Stubbie pick here...I like how it feels with the bass strings...

http://cyberjammin.com/uploads/Music...fa_bass_di.mp3

Last edited by kerc; November 12th, 2006 at 05:14 PM.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, if you think this feels different (I assume that you're finger-picking), go out and spend an hour or so on an acoustic bass guitar. The ridges on the underside of your forearm will quickly make you understand (and appreciate) why most electric basses have contoured bodies!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I forgot to post.

It's actually a subdued sparkly black, pretty cool.

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

/\ that bass doesn't look too good, but that's not what matters, as long as it sounds good.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

You're right...It's not the sexiest beast around, but for $49, it's unbeatable. And like I said in my first post, a cheap ticket to recording my own bass lines.

I'm waiting for the day Reverend starts making basses again...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Actually I like the look of it, kinda got a 60's garage-y-trash thing going on.

And at that price!