Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HNGD Ibanez ART100 TCR

Post Thanks / Like

It's all I've been playing lately. I'll be taking her to her first gig this next weekend. I'm expecting to have a lot of fun playing it...loud. It's just a fun rock and roll guitar.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Spud, I've heard clips if you playing. You could rock a Fischer Price guitar at a gig. LOL!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

The bridge looks quite substantial, how much string vibration do you feel gets to the top vs a standard LP bridge?

Do these have maple or mahogany caps?

These look to be the best guitars going for $300, or less!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by msteeln View Post
    The bridge looks quite substantial, how much string vibration do you feel gets to the top vs a standard LP bridge?

Do these have maple or mahogany caps?

These look to be the best guitars going for $300, or less!

There is real good vibration all the way from the head to the butt. It's as good as any LP I've got. Sustain is very good on the ART.

The ART100s, and ARTs in general, are an all mahogany body. As you start moving up the line (ART300, ART400 etc) then different woods and maple caps come into play. If you want the maple cap GC and some ebay sellers have the ART300 right now for $299. They have nicer neck inlays and active pickups. Some guys are pulling those actives and installing quality passive pickups and ending up with real nice guitars. I'm keeping my 2 ART300s active for the time being, but I'm awful tempted to change one of them to passive.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Gawd Almighty, Spud! ANOTHER guitar...!!!!! You better send me one or two before you get caught in a dangerous and potentially life-threatening avalanche
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Good Gawd Almighty, Spud! ANOTHER guitar...!!!!! You better send me one or two before you get caught in a dangerous and potentially life-threatening avalanche
    Well...it's not like I just added another. I did a tiny bit of subtraction before the addition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Much lighter than any of my LPs, too.
    In researching reviews, everybody is aglow about them, kudos to Ibanez. Have you tried the Edwards/ESP LPs to compare against? The inevitable reviewer will say "it's not a Les Paul", beyond the sustain plus, where do you stand? If there's a significant dif, would it be mainly to the weight, or electronics/both?

Post Thanks / Like

Really, it just is what it is. Is it a Les Paul? No. It's just a mahogany body, single cutaway with humbucking pickups. It does have that sound that I associate with a Les Paul. The stock pickups are very good. The neck on all that I have played is like a 50s style with a little flatter radius maybe. It's not a thin neck by any means. Is it comfortable and easy to play, does it have a tummy bevel on the back of the body? Yes.

They are worth the effort to check out in my opinion. They way I became exposed to them was when I was loitering around the Ibanez importer's showroom one day I noticed the ART300 on a stand and thought "wow, this is different looking" (because of the scalloped top). I plugged it in and was impressed with the active pickups and the tummy bevel, which has always been an issue for me with LPs. The ART was comfortable to play and hold.

Later I played some of the new ART100s in the same location and really wanted to have the passive pickup option in basically the same guitar as the ART300. My wait has been well rewarded because I really love the sound of the ART100. The 300 is super quiet and has it's own rather authoritative voice, but I wanted the nuances that only passives can provide. I've grown very fond of the ART100 quickly and have only one thing I would change about it and that is a simple capacitor swap.

Sweet guitar.

Post Thanks / Like

Fine assessment of the issue, much appreciated, and makes the decision easier to wait for a trem model while looking for the right Edwards.
    I like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6C1b...1&feature=fvwp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqD-...1&feature=fvwp

Post Thanks / Like

Did a gig last night, Friday, and all I can say is (big grin) ya baby! Sweet sounds, comfortable and fun to play. It sounded great on everything I played. I used it 2 sets out of 4 and was very impressed at gig volume. Some of the character of the guitar comes through even better when it's played loud versus just playing at home. And guess what? I get to go back and play again tonight. tee hee

I'm finding that the ART is a bit more diverse sounding than any of the 3 Les Pauls I have. It's bold yet has a wonderful clean presence and more than adequate sustain. This is without a doubt one of the top 5 guitars in my collection and easily in the top 10 of guitars I've played...and it was cheap. Pretty sweet little guitar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Impressive!
    Oh, and thanks for the GAS.

Post Thanks / Like

Over here in Europe this series received great reviews. I could imagine this type of guitar becoming easily a player's favourite.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi75 View Post
    Over here in Europe this series received great reviews. I could imagine this type of guitar becoming easily a player's favourite.

It's working toward that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12