Thread: NUVSD...and not all is well

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy NUVSD...and not all is well (Update: problem solved)

New Used Vintage Speaker Day.

I ordered some vintage 12" speakers of the 'Bay recently and the arrived in good shape today. I saw a posting for one 12" vintage alnico speaker, 16 ohms. Since I'm planning on filling a 2 x 12 cab, I sent the seller a message to the effect of "You wouldn't happen to have a matching set, would you?", to which he replied that he, in fact, did. He gave them to me at a good price, and reduced shipping since it was a combined order.

After opening the package (packed quite well, I might add), I noticed that they looked pretty different. The voice coil on one of them is about twice the size of the other. I figured I'd better check to see if they were both 16 ohms... Nope. One 8, the other 16. Dammit! Now what? I sent the seller a message, but I doubt he knew they were mismatched. I'm not sure what to do here. Suggestions?
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

If he packed them how could he NOT know they were mismatched?? Bottom line is you didn't get what you paid for - send him and email and let him know you'll file a dispute for the funds via PayPal (did you send him the $$$ through paypal?) Personally I'd get a refund and send everything back - but you might be able to negotiate if you want one of them.

Hate the 'bay myself - haven't bought anything there in years. Too much hassle most of the time IMO.
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    If he packed them how could he NOT know they were mismatched?? Bottom line is you didn't get what you paid for - send him and email and let him know you'll file a dispute for the funds via PayPal (did you send him the $$$ through paypal?) Personally I'd get a refund and send everything back - but you might be able to negotiate if you want one of them.

Hate the 'bay myself - haven't bought anything there in years. Too much hassle most of the time IMO.
    He did tell me that Hammond often used different brands in their organs. I don't think he has a VOM to test the speakers, or at least that's the feeling I got. Looks like one is probably a Rola, and the other one a Heppner. I did pay via PP, but I hate to dispute it if the guy honestly just didn't know.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    I did pay via PP, but I hate to dispute it if the guy honestly just didn't know.
    I'm not usually an a-hole about this stuff either, but if he didn't know they were mismatched, then he shouldn't have a problem taking them back. With a few exceptions, I don't consider incompetence to be an excuse for poor service. I mean, isn't good service predicated on being good at your job?

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a return shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your concern, guys. I'm working with the seller, and he says he has more speakers. He didn't know how to use a VOM (had to tell him which symbol meant ohms). He's going to see if he has another 16 ohm speaker, and we'll do an exchange. Heck, I may just hold on to the 8 ohm for future use, and buy the 16 ohm from him, if it's in good shape. I think as long as he does have another 16, things should be fine.
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

I worked it out with the seller; He had two other 16-ohm speakers, and one looks like a good match for the one I already have. I decided to keep the 8-ohm, which I'll either resell or put in a cab at some point. I might put it in my 1 x 12 Epi VJ cab, just to see if there's much difference.

As soon as the other speaker gets here, I can install them in my new 2 x 12 cab. Anyone have a bunch of extra speaker mounting screws laying around...?
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

The other speaker arrived today, and I mounted them both in a cab. Details here.

The seller is also a guitar player, and we've been exchanging emails. Really nice guy, I'm glad I worked everything out with him without having to involve PP.

If anyone is interested, I still have the Heppner 8-ohm alnico speaker, and I'd give a fellow Fretter a good deal on it.
    -Sean