Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OK . . . here's the idea (CD by our members)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hogfullofblues
    Thanks for the inspiration, Nels. I do hope that you may consider reconsidering (is that a sentence?), but if not, I am still way ahead of where I was just a few days ago and can't wait to record some more.
    Nice one Hogs... and I think everyone hopes Nels reconsiders... Im sure people asked SRV, Hendrix and countless others if they are doing the right thing.. and probably got the big picture later that they had the right thing going on all along...(we can't all be smart right off the bat.. wouldn't leave any room for comic relief.. ) anything that gets a person recording and jamming on the fretnet and uploading a song is a plus..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone for the kinds words and encouragement!
    The real deal here, though, is still the concept behind it all. That's you Nels. I can say, and it sure sounds like I am not alone, that should you return to bring your idea to fruit, we will follow your lead. But I can't help but notice that you are conspicuous in your absence. Nelskie?.......
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading over this again today and I have a few thoughts... Hope you won't mind me sharing them.

How it will work: Those members who are interested in participating can select (1) of their favorite original tracks, and post it on a site where I can download it.
    I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to!
    Just so there's no misunderstanding, it was not my intent that participation in this project would be based on members' skill level, recording knowledge, or experience. Rather, that it was put forth as an opportunity for those who wanted to learn more about it, and then, collectively contribute to something that we could all put our own stamp on. Again - just wanting to make sure that everyone understands this.
    A project should not be needed to share a backingtrack or song with your fellow fretters for comments or jamming.. it's just a backing track to explore with others..
    Perhaps we should have a "request a backing track" thread or section. I would happily help out with backing tracks too.
    I guess I wouldn't hate for anyone to get involved in recording their own material - whether it be a completely finished song, a jam track, or a few minutes of "doodling", or whatever. The key is getting involved. The CD project was presented as one way for members to do that - - and to have fun - nothing more . . . nothing less.
    well, I sure hope it comes to be... The part about getting involved I mean.. I been waiting to "hear" some on here for over a year get involved, but all I see is messages about what they did at some gig.. but no sounds I can learn from.. or instruction to the songs to learn from
    Everyone on here is their own worst critic and I think I'm like most folks in that I'd like my tracks to be to a certain standard before I post for public consumption.
    I'd initially thought there would be a few issues to clarify after tabling the idea on Monday, but I can honestly say that I never thought it would get to this point. But since it has, perhaps now is as good a time as any to thank everyone for their insights and suggestions, and gracefully bow out of the picture.
    I pledge to help in any way I can. That's a promise. If I'm only home one weekend a month I'll spend it here trying to help.
    Nels, I'll help in any way I can.
    Justa, I'll try and get more backing tracks on here, I promise.
    Gentlemen, I think we began mixing oranges and apples here somewhere along the way. Nels has a fantastic idea. No-one said I shouldn't keep posting my obviously amateur clips when I know they have flaws.
    So I put some on here that I certainly wouldn't have posted if I thought they would end up on a CD.
    Putting up backing tracks for brother Fretters is a great way to jam and learn and have fun.
    This has spurred a flurry of activity from alot of members, and I love that aspect.
    I did post some backing tracks to try and help get the ball rolling on a cyberjam, but Nels original post was not about that.
    I would work much harder on an original tune if it were going on a Fret.net CD, in fact, I think I would critique it for sound quality, timing, etc. for quite a while, but put it up when I felt it represented my level of accomplishment and let it go at that.
    In the meantime I'd just keep posting, mistakes and all, I'm not looking for a recording contract, I'm trying to learn, and teach, improve, and help others do the same.
    Music is about having fun. Have fun playing and enjoy learning. The human mind is most satisfied when striving to achieve a new level of accomplishment.
    Glad to see the backing tracks are popular, but then, they always were, whether homemade or found elsewhere.

Nelskie, I love the idea for a CD, and hope you will press on and deliver "through sleet, through rain, through hail", just like the trusty (?) U.S. mail service.
    If anyone here can pull off an undertaking this big, you can, Nels.
    And if I can help, I sure will.
    P.S.
    I hope ALL you guitar fanatics will get involved, post, record, play, and encourage each other. Every member here has something important to contribute, let's hear what ya' got!
    Peace and love, man.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    No-one said I shouldn't keep posting my obviously amateur clips when I know they have flaws.
    See, That's the part that I didn't see yet in "the big picture".. Wondered (and just that voiced "Wonder if") if a CD attempt would further stiffle people from putting forth their rough cuts or amateur clips here on the fret net... I was hoping to hear "Real" players which I have heard now the last few days come forth before A/The CD would be finished.. This CD idea is a great Idea and venture to take on for those capable.. and obviously thats alot of people. And, those people now see putting up their rough cuts not intended for CD are excepted and very helpful and "inspirational" to us less then stellar guitar players and even to those capable to jam along with.. I been "Known" to really put up some poor sounding clips.. mainly due to lack of skill but in earnest and without fear of what one might say. The internet is a great way to put up those rough cuts and learning experiences because you actually do not know the people hearing them if it does hurt feelings..and don't "see" them everyday.. This has also prompted me to actually "Try" to be more critical of my playing.. but only when I want to be.. not during jams or rough cut ideas I would like input on.. still enjoy sounding like a dork on occassion (more than not) and enjoying the moment for what it is..

If Nelskie does not reconsider doing a CD Compilation.. I sure hope someone here capable, will step up and take it over... it's a win win situation...I hope Robert can setup a sub-forum for the CD venture also.. to keep it in view as we wait and see how it turns out.
    (I thought I was gonna zip it up..ohwell...)

It's nice listening to all the clips flowing..thats what its all about.. play on!

Rough Cuts: I heard cuts on tape decks from the Beatles to Pink Floyd.. look some up on the net and than think how on earth they ever became what they are in songs today.. they let others hear them.. and worked on them..
    look forward to more rough cuts...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll lay some soloage down, clean or dirty. Someone start some songs. Or do we submit our own? What was the decision? I have some unfinished ones I can add that some of you have already heard.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123