Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
OK . . . here's the idea (CD by our members)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK . . . here's the idea (CD by our members)

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation OK . . . here's the idea (CD by our members)

A Fret.Net guitar compilation CD!

Over the past few days, two of the FN members I correspond with frequently had sent me some songs that they'd recorded at home. I was very impressed. In short, they motivated me to get back on track with my own recording project. Yesterday, in between watching my Minnesota Vikings get their lunch handed to them by the Green Bay Packers, I put together my first full rhythm track using Sony Acid, complete with bass, drums, and ambient effects (up to this point, it had only been a few piece-meal affairs.) This morning, as I listened to the track over coffee, an idea came to me - - I thought, "If a couple of clips could do that with a procrastinator like me, what could a whole CD of original music created by fellow FN members do?" Anyways - you get the picture.

Being continually amazed at the creativity and quality of the original music I hear on FN, I thought it might be something really fun to do. As somewhat of an "artiste'" myself, I enjoy doing artwork for my own original compilations, and would be happy to lend those talents to designing the jacket & jewel case inserts for the CD. Warren - I know you're into that too, so maybe we could tag-team on that. Anyone else who wants to lend a hand with something - let me know.

How it will work: Those members who are interested in participating can select (1) of their favorite original tracks, and post it on a site where I can download it. Once I can get a feel for how many people want to be involved, I can let you know whether it'll be a single or double CD release. If we have more than than what will fit on (2) CD's (with 3:00 to 3.30 minute songs - generally around (25) tracks), then we'll save those that don't get on the first project for a later release.

When the tracks are compiled, and the artwork finished, I will post links to a site, where music and artwork will be available for download. The artwork will be saved in Adobe .PDF and / or .JPG format, which will allow for good resolution of the image files. For members who do not have a graphics program on their computer, I will also post links for freeware graphics programs, which can be used to open the files. From there, the files for the CD panels can be printed out on a color printer, and then cut out for insertion into a standard or double CD jewel case (*available just about anywhere - Office Max / Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.) For those Fretters who are not "graphically inclined", and want to have it in a CD / jewel case, let me know, and I'll get back to you with the cost of putting one together, as well as shipping costs.

For the iPod / portable .MP3 player folks, I'll also have the cover image saved in a format that you can use with it. Again - just trying to make sure that the CD will available to everyone in a format that is most convenient to them.

I am open to any and all suggestions / insights concerning the project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great idea, I'd love to contribute a song.
    Funny I was just thinking over the weekend of how feasable it would be to record a fretters track. For example take a classic track (a Beatles track for example would allow for everyone's varying styles), record bass & drums and ask everyone to contriubute 20 seconds of melody/chords over the backing track. Would be very difficult to mix and might take a long time to get it recorded but it would be cool - kinda like a 'We are the World' with Guitars! Only much cooler!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Nelskie,

Great idea! But first I would like to know what kind of “inspiring coffee” do you drink?

Seriously though, I would really enjoy a project like the one you have suggested. A Fret Net CD would be a wonderful thing. Although I do not have the playing skills to contribute anything towards the endeavor, I believe it could be an inspiration to me and other new players.

I would like to make a few suggestions to enhance the project. Can the Fretters that contribute to the album provide some kind of historical record or diary of how they put together their individual song? In other words explain how they did their recording. For example: how did they choose their drums, or bass guitar. What inspired the beat, phrasing or strumming pattern, etc.? Presently I have no idea on how to even start to put together a song from scratch.

Maybe a separate category could be added to the forum so the other Fretters could follow the project as it matures. Each contributing Fretter could provide their own progression as they put together (mix) their song. This would be interesting reading for us less talented players.

If the CD is a hit, maybe some one could put it on eBay and with the money provide Robert with some financial help with the Fret Net cost.

These were just a few ideas that went across the grey matter as I read your post above.

I look forward the completed project.

Good luck to all those Fretters who will be contributing to the album project.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic idea Nelskie!
    I will absolutely contribute to such a project!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome idea. I gotta dig up some old lyrics...

Play your guitar daily!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tim
    Great idea! But first I would like to know what kind of “inspiring coffee” do you drink?
    Folgers whole-bean Hazelnut Creme - - ground fresh every day! Tim, you've brought to light some great suggestions, and I'd like to expound on a few of those.

Seriously though, I would really enjoy a project like the one you have suggested. A Fret Net CD would be a wonderful thing. Although I do not have the playing skills to contribute anything towards the endeavor, I believe it could be an inspiration to me and other new players.
    Precisely. For those Fretters who haven't yet gotten to the point of creating & tracking their own original music, I'm hoping that it will provide them with the inspiration to eventually get to that point. As well, it will also serve as a "blueprint" in a way - hopefully to give some further insight as to the processes involved with each song - i.e. how the idea was "hatched", inspiration, tone, recording equipment / techniques, etc. Hearing it and then being able to dissect it might also provide for some interesting interaction between members. Not that it doesn't happen here at the Forum - it does. This project is on a more "involved" level, and collectively, would be a neat way to showcase some of the awesome players we have frequenting the forum.

Can the Fretters that contribute to the album provide some kind of historical record or diary of how they put together their individual song? In other words explain how they did their recording. For example: how did they choose their drums, or bass guitar. What inspired the beat, phrasing or strumming pattern, etc.? Presently I have no idea on how to even start to put together a song from scratch

Maybe a separate category could be added to the forum so the other Fretters could follow the project as it matures. Each contributing Fretter could provide their own progression as they put together (mix) their song. This would be interesting reading for us less talented players.
    This is a fabulous idea Tim, esp. from the standpoint that re-writing all of those individual stories and notes would be a tedious undertaking. It would be fairly easy to set up a CD release thread so that each contributing member could expound a bit on some of the things that went into creating the song. Doing it that way would also draw some attention to the forum, and perhaps get folks more involved. The opportunities to share the release with others outside of FN are nearly limitless, but ultimately, I'd like to hear our administrators' take on everything, before moving forward with the project. They may have some ideas, and possibly concerns, about how the release's tie in with Fret.Net would affect things overall. I want this to be on the up-and-up all across the board.

If the CD is a hit, maybe some one could put it on eBay and with the money provide Robert with some financial help with the Fret Net cost.
    While that idea might be ambitiously optimistic - it could very well end up happening. As such, we'd need to get out ducks in a row in regards to copyrights, reproduction, and the rest of the things that go along with it. It is very important that those members whose songs are featured receive their due credit, and that their creative efforts / music are not comprimised in any way by being involved with the project.

But if it did happen, and things fell into place as they needed to - yes, that's a great idea.

I'd also like to mention another thing, brought up by kerc. The songs do not need to have lyrics to qualify. As well, they do not need to be 3:00 to 3:30 minutes long either - I was just using that time frame to illustrate the # of songs that can fit onto a CD. Now that I've mentioned that, I'd also like to add that we are not governed by time at all - the .MP3 format will allow us to put as many songs as we want. In short - everyone can be involved. Anyways, that didn't come to mind initially - - but re-reading the iPod statement I made, most of what comes to my own player is in .MP3 format - - so again, we are not constrained by time limits. If you have the next "Riders on the Storm", or Pink Floyd-inspired, full-length epic, we definitely want to hear it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lev
    Great idea, I'd love to contribute a song.
    Funny I was just thinking over the weekend of how feasable it would be to record a fretters track. For example take a classic track (a Beatles track for example would allow for everyone's varying styles), record bass & drums and ask everyone to contriubute 20 seconds of melody/chords over the backing track. Would be very difficult to mix and might take a long time to get it recorded but it would be cool - kinda like a 'We are the World' with Guitars! Only much cooler!
    You're right, Lev - a project like that could easily evolve into a production nightmare. Taking into account the different recording equipment being used, volume levels, output format, etc., combining them into one single track might even have a seasoned production guru scratching his head. A cool idea none-the-less.

One thing that could be benchmarked for a future FN CD compilation project would be some kind of a tribute CD, with a certain band's music as the main theme. For example, if it were the Beatles, members could pick out their favorite song, and then do their own thing with it. Like a heavy metal version of "Here Comes the Sun", or maybe a country version of "Come Together". You know - - mix it up a bit.

Something to think about, anyways. The idea of using members' own original music is the direction that I think we should take for the first project, in that it allows us to draw from, and recognize the individual talents of the people we interact with right here on FN.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll toss one in .Copyright is a scary thing though ... great idea .
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

I'll contribute. Since most of what I record are 'originals' there is no copyright issue, whether anyone will want to listen is another matter.

Perhaps something like these:
    Starlit Sky - http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/starlit.mp3

The Unanswered Question - http://home.comcast.net/~kitn13/music/quest.mp3

I have some basic software available, so if work needs to be done to get different songs to be approximately the same volume and such I may be able to help.

aeolian

Post Thanks / Like

Most excellent idea! I have zip to contribute and have yet to write an original nor record a thing yet, but would be glued to threads on this project and really enjoy listening to the works put out. And what a motivator! I will definately try my best to get my technical act together for recording and see if I can work my 3 chords into something that sounds like a song.
    Well done, Nels!
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hogfullofblues
    Most excellent idea! I have zip to contribute and have yet to write an original nor record a thing yet, but would be glued to threads on this project and really enjoy listening to the works put out. And what a motivator! I will definately try my best to get my technical act together for recording and see if I can work my 3 chords into something that sounds like a song.
    Well done, Nels!

Hear, Hear! I would buy one for sure once legals were worked out.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Aeolian's response brought up another good point - (1) song per member. If you send / post an e-mail link to more than one, you will need to let me know which one you want to have featured. I will not be making that choice for you. For guys like Frank Axtell, who have tons of original music already posted, this might process might take some time (of course, assuming that he wants to be involved with the project) But who knows, maybe this will inspire him to come up with a fantastic new original just for us . . . (* hint, hint, hint)

Seeing the number of positive responses already, I'm really excited about the prospects of this project. At this point, I think it'd be a good idea to wait for a week or so (like next Monday), so that everyone has a good chance to read and / or respond to the post. As well, it will allow ample time for our forum administrators to assess the idea, and respond as necessary. If it meets with their approval, I'll re-address the primary points of member involvement, a confirmation of those who are contributing material, and a deadline for submitting recorded material (another area that I'd like some more input on.) It is of primary importance that those members who want to contribute brand-new material (which includes myself) be allowed a reasonable amount of time in which to create, record, and complete their submission. Just to throw something out - let's say Jan. 1st, 2007. We can easily extend that date, if needed, to accomodate additional members.

We will also need a name / title for the release - - and that is something fun I think we can all be involved with. So, everyone start thinking up some cool names for the CD. For now, let's just keep it at that. After we get the initial groundwork laid out, I'll post a thread where everyone can submit their name ideas.

And lastly, if there are members who are going to be involved in other parts of the project, i.e. art / design, identification / location of shareware programs (for the artwork), etc., and CD-related FN site postings / threads, those people will be identified. All of which means that I am looking for volunteers . . .

Lastly, I'd like some more input from our members in regards to a file-hosting site for the music & graphic files. Which are the best ones to use? Being that this is an un-sponsored musical effort, it needs to be *free* - - and believe me, I've heard all kinds of things about a few of the more prominent *free* hosting sites.

As you can see, there's lots of logistics involved with a project like this, and I am interested in everyone's insights and thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

A generous deadline is a must, because I think that a couple of the potential contributors to this CD havent really got started with recording yet. (This project is a perfect reason to get started! )

I recommend that we convert the completed audio files to 160kb/s Mp3´s, which has a rather good quality/size ratio.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Lastly, I'd like some more input from our members in regards to a file-hosting site for the music & graphic files.
    Just to add another idea! Once our forum administrators approve the idea, a new topic section can be created perhaps under “Home Recording” as Nelskie stated. Then an individual thread pertaining to their song/project can be started by the “artist’ for giving further details on the things that went into creating the song and possibly to answer any questions for future budding Fret Net recording artists.

This is one thread I will be paying pretty close attention to. I will most likely save all the threads to disk, just to keep an archive on how to make my own recording some day soon. This is just fantastic!!!

I just wish there was something I could do to help.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, I would be one of the inspired ones rather than a contributor.

Post Thanks / Like

I wanna be expired to..good luck with it guys!!! look forward to hearing some that probably don't let us hear them on here... for one reason or lazy other...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Great idea, N-man! I definitely belong in the "inspired" camp rather than with the "inspirers", but with the talent I've heard displayed here, you guys should put together a fantastic compilation of original material. I really look forward to hearing it!

I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to! This would allow those of us who aren't experienced/accomplished enough to do full-blown original compositions to be able to participate. Perhaps if one of you pros could provide a good bass & drum backing track, several of us could lay down the rhythm track and some solo breaks over the top. Kind of a "Fretters' Jam" concept. Audacity would be a good common platform to use to record the various pieces and stitch them all together, although any recording/editing program should work, as long as it will produce MP3 output to keep the shared file sizes manageable. I doubt that the finished product would be remotely "CD-worthy", but it sure would be fun! I'd be happy to try to edit the pieces together, although that's probably akin to volunteering for duty on the Russian front!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I know that it would probably be a logistical nightmare to put together, but I like that idea of a "composite" tune that several Fretters could contribute pieces to! This would allow those of us who aren't experienced/accomplished enough to do full-blown original compositions to be able to participate.
    Just so there's no misunderstanding, it was not my intent that participation in this project would be based on members' skill level, recording knowledge, or experience. Rather, that it was put forth as an opportunity for those who wanted to learn more about it, and then, collectively contribute to something that we could all put our own stamp on. Again - just wanting to make sure that everyone understands this.

That being said, I thought DVM's suggestion about a "Fretter's Jam Track" (*or maybe even 2 or 3) is an excellent idea, and certainly could fill that participatory void for many of our enthusiastic newer players. I would be happy to put together a jam track, and would also encourage some of our more experienced members to do the same. Maybe there could be some discussion as to what style, sound, or musical genre would provide the most enjoyment for those members seeking to contribute to the Jam Track(s) - which, of course, would be included in the FN release's final form.

Post Thanks / Like

This is called cyberjamming.

Play your guitar daily!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast