Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.A.S. explained

Post Thanks / Like

Default G.A.S. explained

We are terribly flawed. Okay, sorry...I am terribly flawed.

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/201...runc_sys.shtml

7 March 2011
    Collecting items can trigger obsessive-compulsive disorder
    by Kate Melville

Whatever you collect - porcelain dolls, precious stones, shoes, thimbles, watches or fans - your hobby could easily become a psychological disorder that European researchers say affects more than 10 percent of the population.

The researchers, from Granada University, say that as long as collectors exercise some control, then "collecting items is good from a psychological point of view, as it helps in developing positive skills and attitudes such as perseverance, order, patience and memory."

But Granada's Francisca López Torrecillas warns that in the recent years, "a very significant increase has been observed of cases where uncontrolled collecting has caused obsessive-compulsive disorders."

López Torrecillas points out that certain attributes such as control, perfectionism, meticulousness and extreme orderliness "are very frequent traits in people who likes collecting things. However, they are also closely related to the psychological disorders." The best known variant of obsessive compulsive disorder is probably Diogenes syndrome, also known as shopping addiction.

"Collecting can become an obsession, and eventually a disorder in individuals; especially vulnerable individuals with low self-esteem, poor social skills and difficulty in facing problems," she explained. "When people have this feeling of personal inefficiency, compulsive collecting helps them in feeling better."

López Torrecillas speculates that excessive sales pressure and aggressive marketing may be contributing to the rise in collecting OCDs, but suggests that "further study is needed in this field of research."

Source: University of Granada

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea - sounds about right..I just accept myself for what I am
    Dave
    Guitars: Ibanez AF-75, Schecter Solo-6 Custom, Douglas SG
    Amps: Fender Princeton 65, Marshall AVT50
    Pedals: Metal Muff, MXR Smart Gate, EHX Cathedral Reverb, Digitech RP-255

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have no stinkin' OCDs. lol

Saying this while a custom lap steel with killer pups (Tele in the Neck; P90 in the bridge) is in production for me. YUM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Look at it this way...
    "Anyone who has more guitars than I (place yourself here) is an obsessive compulsive hoarder.
    Anyone who has fewer guitars than I is either an amateur lightweight or just hasn't gotten their priorities straight."

This model works for any number of instruments and gear owned, and is adjustable for future purchases.

Post Thanks / Like

This all rings very true. It's something I battle against a lot, losing out on a regular basis. I think that one thing about guitars and music that makes it hard is that sometimes you do need a lot of stuff (e.g. if you own a PA setup), so collections of gear get to be pretty big, and by that point you've already crossed over into the stuff-owning-you territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Guilars and amphs don't count.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to see an episode on Hoarders dealing with someone hoarding musical gear
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx View Post
    I have yet to see an episode on Hoarders dealing with someone hoarding musical gear
    Someone I was talking to once noted that it was kind of ironic that Hoarders had released a DVD of the entire first season...
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it's possible.....I read an article about people who are unable to control the urge to look at their IPhones, Blackeberries, Droid's, etc. every minute or so. I didn't believe it until I started paying more attention to people at work and in public.
    Some of them are really tethered to them. I look at mine if I need to answer the phone or find information. It's an OCD world out there for some folks.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Someone I was talking to once noted that it was kind of ironic that Hoarders had released a DVD of the entire first season...
    It's obvious, they are making them collectible.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    It's an OCD world out there for some folks.
    Unfortunately, I fit this description. It's a constant battle to keep from getting too far into it.

Post Thanks / Like

I've posted this at my blog retrohound.com, seemed very appropriate. I gave a link back to the fret.
    Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Ultra; pretty red Squier Acoustic;
    Amps: Vox VT30;
    Pedals: Dunlop Fuzz Face; Dunlop Crybaby Wah
    My kids have: Squier Affinity Stratocaster MII; Fender G-DEC; Squire Acoustic; Jay Turser Strat-copy, Roland Cube amp

"I am a sworn enemy of the saccharine, and a believer in grace over karma." Bono 2001

Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting post Spuddy.
    I'm pretty stable. G.A.S. is no topic for me, neither are iphones etc.
    I think OCDs have a lot to do with a lack of selfesteem and selfcontrole, but who am I to judge?!
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Unfortunately, I fit this description. It's a constant battle to keep from getting too far into it.
    I know people who collect, people with G.A.S., and people who are, I guess, "borderline" OCD.
    I don't think I should judge someone with a huge collection of thimbles, plates, guitars, etc.
    Now if someone has 139 cats in an apartment...........
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    I know people who collect, people with G.A.S., and people who are, I guess, "borderline" OCD.
    I don't think I should judge someone with a huge collection of thimbles, plates, guitars, etc.
    Now if someone has 139 cats in an apartment...........
    I do count my steps sometimes, which I've heard is a tendency of obsessive-compulsive people. My collections of stuff are actually slim-to-non-existent now, but I definitely feel the urge sometimes. Same with checking email -- good thing I don't have a smartphone.

It's for this reason that I always try to keep a grip on things like buying new gear -- if I'm buying it just so that something can be "perfect" (e.g. something like having one of each type of guitar), I will almost always stop and make myself stay in that imperfect middle. It's the drive toward completion that is sometimes so tempting, but since it's a fruitless chase anyway, what's the point of even playing the game?

It sometimes gets to the point of asceticism with me, but I don't want to be a slave to my compulsions, so I try to always live in and accept life as it is every day. It's not that much of an issue anymore and I don't know if it was ever truly a disorder, but IMO part of just being a healthy adult is to maintain a balance between what you have and what you don't have.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tig View Post
    look at it this way...
    "anyone who has more guitars than i (place yourself here) is an obsessive compulsive hoarder.
    Anyone who has fewer guitars than i is either an amateur lightweight or just hasn't gotten their priorities straight."

this model works for any number of instruments and gear owned, and is adjustable for future purchases. :d
    that is just to funny!
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

ocd NOT IN THE LEAST. I don't gamble, do drugs, or drink heavily, not into expensive cars, boats, or bikes.

I just happen to like High end audio equipment and musical instruments. I have not put my family or home at risk with it so I'll continue as allows money and needs and some wants present themselves. Besides as long as some of you guys have more stuff than I makes me look less OCD driven. LOL
    Maxi...................

Bootsy Collins:
    I pledge allegiance to the funk, the whole funk, and nothing but the funk, so help me James, Sly and George, Amen!!

Guitars: 2010 American Special HSS Strat, 2010 CIC Squire CV ThinLine Tele, & 2006 MIM FSR Strat.

Basses: 1979 Peavey T-40, 2007 Ibanez SR 500, 2013 Ibanez SR375F, 2013 CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass, 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee VI, & 2014 Sadowsky Will Lee Metro V

Amps: Mesa Boogie BASS STRATEGY:Eight:88, Aguliar DB 4X12, Augilar DB 751, Genz Benz CTR500-210T/Focus 1X15 CAB, Fender Hot Rod Deville 410, VHT Deliverance 60/VHT 2X12 fat Bottom Cab, & VOX DA20

Effects: Boss ME-25, MXR Custom Baddass 78, MXR Custom Baddass modified O.D., Vox Joe Satriani Satchurator, MXR Phase 90, MXR Bass Chorus Deluxe/Octave Deluxe/Bass Compressor/Envelope Filter/, Way Huge Pork Loin

Post Thanks / Like

For my part, I try to keep my gear in line with my musical goals. If the gear doesn't serve a particular purpose for me, then it's gone. I guess I'm not one to collect things.

Post Thanks / Like

I probably have minor OCD tendencies, but I have them mostly under control. I just wish I had more useful neurosis, like something that would help me be more organized in areas other than just alphabetized DVDs. I do feel a certain compulsion to accumulate certain things....like guitars...and pickups for the aforementioned guitars...

At least I'm not in total denial. And every time I think I have a guitar addiction, all I have to do is think about Spud and I feel like I'm pretty normal in comparison.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast