Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My first assault on EVH....

Thread: My first assault on EVH....

Post Thanks / Like

Default My first assault on EVH....

When Van Halen hit it big in the late 70's, it was at a time that my personal guitar playing/interest (for several reasons) was at a low point. I was certainly impressed by what I heard from this new whiz kid out of California, but I never bought any of VH's stuff or tried to learn any of the songs. Owning nothing but my old Yamaha flat-top at the time, that probably wouldn't have worked too well, anyway!

Having read so much adulation about EVH here and elsewhere in recent months, I've started to dig into the band's considerable body of work and gain more of an appreciation for it. It is certainly an extreme rarity when a guitarist comes along who absolutely revolutionizes playing styles within his chosen genre, but Eddie undoubtedly did exactly that for hard rock guitar. I can definitely understand why Nelskie and others here idolize him. IMO, that he was ranked 70th on the much-maligned Rolling Stone Top 100 Guitarists list just underscores what a farce that thing was. Laughable.

The point of this rambling discourse is that my first foray into the minefield that EVH's guitar work presents for an amateur like me was to learn "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love". Compared to most of his stuff, it's pretty simple. At this pace, I should work my way up to "Eruption" somewhere around 2088. I found a pretty good backing track on the web and practiced the tune for several days to get rid of the most overt flubs. Just thought I'd post it here as (1) a nobly conceived if poorly executed tribute to Eddie, whose strings I am not worthy to change, and (2) encouragement for the other amateurs here like myself, because if I can learn it, probably anybody with a little determination can!!

Played on my Epi LP through the bridge pickup, using the UK80's amp model on my Vox AD30VT, with the flanger reverb effect selected for the main riff/chording sequence (settings as shown in accompanying graphic). I also used my Digitech Bad Monkey OD pedal to boost the bottom end a bit. Recording/editing done with Audacity. I recorded the basic riff/chord track for the entire tune first, pretty much in a single take, then laid down the solo sections over the top. Forgive the 5th fret harmonics, which pretty much suck. I'm not really satisfied with the tone on the solo parts, and will probably re-record those. There are also some "fills" here and there in the original recording that I'd like to add, too--not note-for-note necessarily, but something to break up the repetition of the main riff.

But anyhow, here's a link to the clip as it currently stands:

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love (3.6MB)

And here's the AD30VT patch graphic:

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

applause... applause.. applause.. excellent Voodoo! I justa like those flangers!!! I wanna Electric Mistress

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sweeeet!!! I love it! My favorite era of VH also.
    Last edited by sunvalleylaw; November 13th, 2006 at 08:55 PM.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeehah DVM !! , "poorly executed.. not worthy to change his strings" ???
    Forget it man, that was frgn. fantastic ! Does Mrs.Voodoo say you are too critical of yourself ?

Post Thanks / Like

I see you have the same backing track that I do My only gripe is with the AD30VT's flanger itself, unfortunately you can't adjust the mix of the effect. With a clean amp the flanger is fine. With a heavily distorted sound, the flanger is too over-the-top for me. You hear way too much flange and not enough guitar, IMO.

This is the first "real" song I taught myself. Having said all of the above, I like your version.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

That was great Voodoo. Nice work. Sounds like you put some time into getting 'Eddyfied'.
    Keep it up.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

DVM, whohoo that was refreshing to hear! I am a reverb junkie so I would like to have heard more reverb on the intro guitar, but apart from that I think you nailed the EVH tone
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Great tune DVM. Also the AD30VT patch graph helps me immensely. I think you did a fine job at mixing it all together. Do not rely on your own ears, but of those who admire you work and talent.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Yeehah DVM !! , "poorly executed.. not worthy to change his strings" ???
    Forget it man, that was frgn. fantastic ! Does Mrs.Voodoo say you are too critical of yourself ?
    I keep making the mistake of listening to the original! Though I'm pretty happy with how it turned out overall, hearing EVH his own bad self play it injects a massive dose of humility!

Sure it doesn't need more cowbell??

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    I see you have the same backing track that I do My only gripe is with the AD30VT's flanger itself, unfortunately you can't adjust the mix of the effect. With a clean amp the flanger is fine. With a heavily distorted sound, the flanger is too over-the-top for me. You hear way too much flange and not enough guitar, IMO.

This is the first "real" song I taught myself. Having said all of the above, I like your version.
    Thanks, marnold. Actually, you can dial down the "resonance" of the flanger effect (Edit 3) on the AD30VT, which makes it less obtrusive. But I only had it set at 9 o'clock, and it's still pretty much "in your face"!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    DVM, whohoo that was refreshing to hear! I am a reverb junkie so I would like to have heard more reverb on the intro guitar, but apart from that I think you nailed the EVH tone
    Good suggestion--I'll fool around with that some, Swede. I'm still "tone farming" this tune, especially the intro and solo parts.

To all of your Fretters who commented--Thanks for you ideas & encouragement!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Cowbell yes, but just a bit. You wouldn't want to over-do the cowbell.
    http://www.ojaiwan.net/audio/cowbell.wmv

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Excellent Job, and thanks for the settings guide on the vox. Looking forward to giving it a try when I get home .
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent job voodooman its always tough to emulate Eddies tone's, I know I've been at it for years and never get it quite right. As I never want you to think I'm picking at you I'm not! Just some helpfull insight to what I have tried and failed at with his tone on the first album....He uses a Marshall Plexi and a variax control on the amp...which is nothing more than a votage regulator..all gain,volume,treble,bass to the max and then he adjusts volume with the variax control and volume on his guitar..only problem is the amp ran so damm hot he had to put a fan on the back just to keep it cool enough and he still blew tubes. I forget which reverb pedal he use but it was cranked all the way and other than that just the MXR Distortion and MXR Flanger and Phaser....the trick here is in the order of the pedal setup....he went with phaser first then distortion then flanger then reverb and delay and compressor last(backwards on the compressor to clip the high frequency).

On the riff itself you just want to use a little more mute with your palm and staccatto the notes a bit more and thats about it......And one more trick some VH guys never caught was on Eruption at the end its not his whammy bar its his delay pedal, as he does the dive bomb he bends down and turns the rate knob down....hehe that pretty cool! Hope that help you out a bit more...When I get some free time I'll post a short clip of my intro with my tone....cheers man! Great job my first attempt years ago never sounded that good.
    Cannuck on a mission
    Guitars: Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Ibanez Roadstar 2, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Gibson Flying V, Yamaha 12 string, some beat up old classical
    Amps: 1969 Fender Twin Reverb, 2002 Line 6 Flextone 2
    Effects: Digitech GNX4, Boss ME30, and a whack of pedals

http://www.myspace.com/zeussethegod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeusse
    Excellent job voodooman its always tough to emulate Eddies tone's, I know I've been at it for years and never get it quite right. As I never want you to think I'm picking at you I'm not! Just some helpfull insight to what I have tried and failed at with his tone on the first album....He uses a Marshall Plexi and a variax control on the amp...which is nothing more than a votage regulator..all gain,volume,treble,bass to the max and then he adjusts volume with the variax control and volume on his guitar..only problem is the amp ran so damm hot he had to put a fan on the back just to keep it cool enough and he still blew tubes. I forget which reverb pedal he use but it was cranked all the way and other than that just the MXR Distortion and MXR Flanger and Phaser....the trick here is in the order of the pedal setup....he went with phaser first then distortion then flanger then reverb and delay and compressor last(backwards on the compressor to clip the high frequency).

On the riff itself you just want to use a little more mute with your palm and staccatto the notes a bit more and thats about it......And one more trick some VH guys never caught was on Eruption at the end its not his whammy bar its his delay pedal, as he does the dive bomb he bends down and turns the rate knob down....hehe that pretty cool! Hope that help you out a bit more...When I get some free time I'll post a short clip of my intro with my tone....cheers man! Great job my first attempt years ago never sounded that good.
    Wow, some cool insights there, zeusse! I'm afraid I don't have near enough equipment to reproduce the pedal sequence you're describing. Pretty much have to get there with my AD30VT and it's flanger reverb effect, plus an external OD pedal. But it sounds like I've definitely gotta dial up the reverb more.

The palm muting/staccato picking is a great suggestion--I'll definitely work on that. I can hear in my mind exactly what you mean by that.

Looking forward to hearing your version of the intro!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Cowbell yes, but just a bit. You wouldn't want to over-do the cowbell.
    http://www.ojaiwan.net/audio/cowbell.wmv

LMAO!!!! That was funny. That was the first time I saw it.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Thanks, marnold. Actually, you can dial down the "resonance" of the flanger effect (Edit 3) on the AD30VT, which makes it less obtrusive. But I only had it set at 9 o'clock, and it's still pretty much "in your face"!
    SWEET! Thanks for the tip. For some insane reason, I never adjusted that setting. Now with that turned almost all of the way down, it's really quite usable with high gain amp models. *fiendish grin*
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

That was sweet, Voodude! And thanks for the settings too.
    "Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid." - Frank Zappa

Yamaha G240
    Epi Dot Deluxe, Squier '51, G&L S-500
    Vox AD30VT, PODxt