Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
String Muting - Any tips?

Thread: String Muting - Any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default String Muting - Any tips?

Hey guys,
    Iv been practicing my improvised soloing for ages now but a fair amount of the time I get abit of string noise from unwanted strings e.g bumping the string above when I bend...My accuracy obviously needs some more work lol.

Does anyone have any tips on how to mute the strings I don't want to play? Iv noticed alot of guitar players use their strumming hand almost sitting on the strings by the bridge, is this to mute the other strings they're not playing?

Cheers,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I used to mute with the right hand, I suppose that's a very common method...I think I may still do it in certain type playing, especially when doing really fast/metal rhythm picking.
    BUT of late I've noticed I do pretty much all my muting with the left hand, it pretty much always rests on the strings and governs which strings sound or not.

Meaning, even when I'm soloing, I tend to have the hand almost like doing a chord, and muting the unnecessary strings just like when chording. Also makes it much easier to transfer from, say, a bend to the next note because the hand is already doing the chord it works over.

It's not necessarily THE chord the song is in, but nevertheless it seems, when I really try to analyze how I play (I normally never look at what I do really, I don't look at my hand or fretboard much), it seems the hand rather automatically creeps onto or looks for chord forms for the note and/or the next one, while one or two fingers are playing a note, if that makes any sense.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to do something similar to what deeaa said. I tend to do a combination of muting with my palm and with fingers I'm not using for soloing, especially when bending. When bending I usually use my index finger to mute strings by almost barring them without putting enough pressure down to actually push down the string. Am I making sense?

However, when playing rhythm I almost exclusively use my palm to mute. The aforementioned fret hand muting I use for slower soloing when string noise will be more noticeable. I guess the answer I'm getting at is that I use both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't recommend the Steve Vai tongue harmonics method...

Post Thanks / Like

D pretty much has this one whipped ......another suggestion is wrapping the thumb of left hand or non picking hand over the top of fretboard to mute those strings when soloing.........left hand or non pick hand muting using fingers before your slide finger or soloing fingers before or after picking the note is also a good habit atleast for me and mine,,,,not sure if this makes any sense
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

For me, its a combination of both right and left hand technique. I don't know how it happened, but my ears dictate what sounds. The first time i realized this I was learning "Shine" by Collective soul. The intro and verse rhythm part used to be rife with unwanted string noise, then by practising it it became cleaner and cleaner. Play with it, try different things. A study of Frusciante might help. The above tips are really good ones too.
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips guys. I will try them out and see what works....I'll definitely work on my left hand muting and then try get my right hand to get better at muting too.

Thanks again,
    Cav
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

A tip for right hand muting... The closer you place your palm to the bridge, the better it works/controls/sounds. Experiment for what works best.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally rely a lot on left hand muting unless I'm doing something fairly repetitive in which case I use right hand.

If I'm going between adjacent strings I find that I tend to use the tips of my thumb and index finger on the picking hand as I pick the next string. I'm not sure if that is a good habit to get into.