Thread: Carvin V3 micro amp

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carvin V3 micro amp

Watch the vid, please, and let me know your honest opinions.
    How do you like the cleans, the OD?
    Has anyone played one of these?
    Beacause I'm......I'm......uh..just curious, yeah, that's the ticket.
    Just curious.

Thanks

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...hp?product=V3M
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

This is my next amp. Still on the fence on whether to go head + cab or 112 combo. I've seen numerous videos since this amp caught my attention. Love the versatility it offers.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds really good in the distorted modes. I couldn't hear any of the dreaded fizziness that is usually inherent with many amps when they are naturally distorted at low volumes.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Huh. Upon first blush, I'm not the biggest fan of the distortion on that, but I'll give it another listen in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

oldguy....I luv ya brother as do the boys, I have found my late birthday present......oh yea my wife, well I cant say she will luv ya after I blame it on ya!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Default On the Watts numbers

The watts numbers for the amp must be peak power and not RMS power. A quad push pull EL84 amp in RMS would be approx 34-35 watts, and then I guess they maybe run just two tubes for half the power in RMS that would be 17 Watts. For the lowest Watts out maybe they go to a single tube but a push pull transformer doesn’t work well for SE operation usually. On one Carvin amp I have worked on for low power they just limited the signal at the phase splitter. If that is how this is set up then cutting the watts will be similar to a master volume control so driving it hard at a low watt setting will be more preamp distortion then output distortion.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the opinions and information everyone.
    Stingx, which ever you decide, I think it'll be a good rig.
    Spud, that's what I thought also, "clean" crunch and distortion.
    Eric, not everyone will like the same distorted tones, I appreciate your opinion, and thanks for taking the time my friend.
    Muddy............OK, OK, I love y'all too, here's the thing.......if me taking the blame gets you the amph, go for it. I don't think your Mrs would come all the way up here to give me a black eye for being a bad influence on you.
    jim p, thanks for the info. I didn't think 4 EL84's could generate 50w, but I honestly wasn't sure. I actually don't need over 30w for the few gigs I do occasionally nowadays. As for the preamp distortion, I've come to the conclusion OD and distortion either sounds good..........or it doesn't..........regardless of where it comes from. I thank you for taking the time, and for your insight and knowledge.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I was leaning towards a mustang III amp but I have the pod stuff and I really like how Carvin pimped this particular amp with so many options. I've debated several amps since late last year.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim p View Post
    The watts numbers for the amp must be peak power and not RMS power. A quad push pull EL84 amp in RMS would be approx 34-35 watts, and then I guess they maybe run just two tubes for half the power in RMS that would be 17 Watts. For the lowest Watts out maybe they go to a single tube but a push pull transformer doesn’t work well for SE operation usually. On one Carvin amp I have worked on for low power they just limited the signal at the phase splitter. If that is how this is set up then cutting the watts will be similar to a master volume control so driving it hard at a low watt setting will be more preamp distortion then output distortion.
    Jim,

I bet you're right on the power settings. Mesa/Boogie has been claiming 25W out of a pair of EL84s due to their patented Dynawatt(tm) technology. You can read about it here:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

patent # 4,713,624

As for the 7 watt setting, Carvin could be either using pseudo-triode operation, or they could be grounding one of the power tubes' grid load resistors. As you know this would kill the signal from one side of the PI, but the power tube is still acting as a current generator which prevents the OT from saturating. So it could be a kind of pseudo-SE operation. It's hard to say without seeing a schematic.

I've see amps with a variable resistor/pot used for one of the grid load resistors to give variable lower wattage settings.

At any rate, it is a slick little amp and I wouldn't mind having one. It appears to be a competitor to the Mesa/Boogie Transatlantic amps.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep ,my envy driven pursuit to voodoo's M.B.Transatlantic has left me hanging until now!!!
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat View Post
    Yep ,my envy driven pursuit to voodoo's M.B.Transatlantic has left me hanging until now!!!
    Yep, ideally, I'd like to have the new TA-30 alongside the Carvin to see what the differences are. It is too hard to tell from video clips played over my crappy lo-fi computer speakers.

Post Thanks / Like

I see what you are saying about taking the audio signal away from one side you will have balanced current at idle but you will go unbalanced with signal but maybe not enough to saturate the transformer. Still better than just the current of one tube going through the transformer. If the amp goes to triode mode for low watts and the amp has no feedback or you can kill the feedback with the presence control then the triode mode will be dark. Bad thing about the triode mode is the amp just as with feedback goes to a voltage output instead of a current output, so the watts to the speaker go down as the frequency rises. Because with current output (no feedback pentode) as the speaker impedance rises and the current stays constant the watts go up so the amp is brighter. With feedback the voltage is kept constant so the amp will not be as bright. With a triode having its transconductance dependent on the plate load as the reflected impedance goes up with rising frequency the tube gain will go down and it will make for a darker sounding amp.

Post Thanks / Like

*&%^()_

Trying to decide between the transatlantic ta-30, or the tweaker 40 ... now this comes along....sheesh !
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Wrote to Egnater to know the retail price for the Egnater Tweaker 40 Head .. It should Come out in Canada in August for around 599.99..

$599.99 for the head
    $799.099 for the 1x12" combo
    $399.99 for the matching 2x12" cab.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lot of experience with Carvin Amps. First off I would go with a head as every Carvin 1/12 combo I have heard just sounded "small". It was the enclosure I flat do not like Carvin combo cabs except the ones with the Legacy or big V-3's.
    The amps to me also look big time interesting.
    However I'm spoiled because I own a Zinky Blue Velvet so anything else in the small amp vein is just not up to par!
    Guitars
    Washburn's
    Chicago Custom Shop USA's 1995 MG 122,100,102,120, 1994 MG-122, one off 1994 Prototype, 1999 WM-4, 200 3-ST Stealth
    Carvins 1990 Pearl Pink reverse headstock X220C, 1991 Sapphire Blue Flame V220R.
    Accoustics
    LTD 88 Takamine

Amps
    Fender Prosonic combo
    100 watt custom one off Prosonic head
    Fender 2/12 cab
    2 Avatar 2/12 cabs- Blond Oxblood with 75's and Red with Black Vin 30's
    Yamaha 4/12

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I have had a lot of experience with Carvin Amps. First off I would go with a head as every Carvin 1/12 combo I have heard just sounded "small". It was the enclosure I flat do not like Carvin combo cabs except the ones with the Legacy or big V-3's.
    The amps to me also look big time interesting.
    However I'm spoiled because I own a Zinky Blue Velvet so anything else in the small amp vein is just not up to par!
    Hey, dude! Haven't seen you around for awhile, welcome back.

I've never been lucky enough to play a Zinky but they're supposed to be awesome.
    That's a 2 channel with tank reverb, right?
    Cheers
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals