Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
NA(h)D!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NA(h)D!

Post Thanks / Like

Default NA(h)D!

Today I picked up a piece of equipment from a craigslist deal I had in the works for a couple of days: a Jet City JCA2112RC.

This is the combo version of the ever-popular 20W Jet City head/cab, which I managed to bring home for $175. I wasn't exactly looking for a new amph, but I recently sold my Crate V50 tube amp and had been interested in a smaller tube amp, mainly to provide a decent live Marshall-y sound I've been looking for but unwilling to pay for. I like channel 2 on my TM60, but it doesn't cut quite as well as I'd like.

So we'll see how this goes. Initially, my impression is that this amp is nice, though it seems just a tad dark. That's with everything at 12:00 though, so it's not a problem. Nice crunch out of it, and even with the gain dimed it seems to hold together pretty well. Reverb is OK, but not something that's all that essential, as it seems to get buried fairly quickly and isn't all that necessary on an amp like this anyway.

The presence seems to be either on or off (even though it's a knob), but it's fine without much contribution from that, and I don't even really know what presence is supposed to do anyway. If memory serves, it's kind of like an EQ that comes in later in the circuit, like right before the power section, right?

There's only a few minor scratches on the left side, and all in all it's in nice shape. I'm looking forward to putting this through its paces at my weekly jam night/practice tomorrow. So far I really like having a simple, single-channel amp that doesn't try to have every last bell and whistle.

So yeah, don't let my measured objectivity fool you; I'm very fired up about this amp. Time to rock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, excellent buy, Eric! I'm glad you went for it. It won't take much messing around with the pots to get some great rawkin' tones from it.
    A little presence goes a long way on that amp.

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like

HNAD Eric! And let me be the first to say it: Pics, or it didn't happen.

Happy New Theoretical Amph Day anyway!
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like

Aight, here you are:

Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice. Does that one go to 11?
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your new amp!
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenFretter View Post
    Very nice. Does that one go to 11?
    Actually, it only goes to 9. Strange...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Actually, it only goes to 9. Strange...
    Uh oh...was it a B Stock?
    -Sean

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome, Eric! I knew you would end up with a Jet City -- at the right price, of course. ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

Nice deal on that one, Eric!
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Happy New Amph Day Eric! I'm finding that getting to know a new tube amp is definitely a time consuming process. have fun with it!
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been" - Eliot

Guilars: '02 Heritage H-535 ASB; '04 Larrivée LV-03 w/Fishman Blend; '95 Washburn/Bourgeios D-55SW Cherokee
    Amphs: Boogie DC-2; DVM/BYOC Tweed Champlifier; Marshall AS50D
    Currently on Board: Ditto Looper; Boss TU-2; EB VP Jr; crybaby; DVM Spring Fever; DVM Mini Klone, Brena Effects Cali-Tremor tremolo; Strymon El Capistan

Post Thanks / Like

So we'll see how this goes. Initially, my impression is that this amp is nice, though it seems just a tad dark. That's with everything at 12:00 though, so it's not a problem. Nice crunch out of it, and even with the gain dimed it seems to hold together pretty well. Reverb is OK, but not something that's all that essential, as it seems to get buried fairly quickly and isn't all that necessary on an amp like this anyway.

The presence seems to be either on or off (even though it's a knob), but it's fine without much contribution from that, and I don't even really know what presence is supposed to do anyway. If memory serves, it's kind of like an EQ that comes in later in the circuit, like right before the power section, right?
    First of all, welcome to the unofficial Jet City club! I'm surprised that you are saying that yours is a tad dark. My JCA20H is quite bright, even with the bass and middle at 6 and the treble and presence at 3. Maybe it's a difference in pickups, though, since the JB on my Dinky can be relatively bright.

I'm not sure how the presence knob works electronically. I originally described the one on my Jet City as a bright switch on a knob. Mine has a good sweep to it. Turning it up makes the amph eardrum-splittingly (yes, I just used that as an adverb) bright.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I keep the treble and presence dialed down on mine as well. Maybe the combo is voiced differently?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    I keep the treble and presence dialed down on mine as well. Maybe the combo is voiced differently?
    I think it's probably more due to me not being very familiar with the amp yet and (probably) not so great at describing it, but I'll let you know after I've spent some more time with it.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

When I ordered a new amp last weekend I considered getting the Jet City 100 watt head. It had some nice features but looked like a great amp.

I finally decided to give the Peavey 6505+ sixty watt combo a try. I played it and like the sounds.

Problem is, around here no one carries the Jet City brand. I will have to check them out the next time I visit a GC. That 100 watt head was tempting buy I would like to have a chance to try it out. Another head I looked at had 100 watts but had a pentode/triode switch and a power divider switch, offering an assortment of sounds.

I'm sure you will have fun with that tube amp. Too bad you didn't like the Crate fifty. I really liked mine and wished it hadn't blown up. The Crate Palomino V32 two twelve Celestion Seventy80s sounds great and very loud. I liked the overdrive channel on the Crate fifty though - too bad it didn't work out better for me.

Good luck with your new amp. I hope the reliability turns out to be more than outstanding. Sounds like, from what I've read, a very decent amp.

I can't believe the great deals you guys in these larger metro areas get on real decent equipment. Around this very rural area they want list price or higher and you never see anything interesting being offered, unless it is as expensive or more than what you could get a new one from MF for. Lots of old junk and parts, but no real nice instruments or working amps, or anything relatively new. Most often a bunch of schiester wanna be's.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Well, here's a quick demo:

http://www.box.net/shared/hh9dc9i5x7

Please pardon the boring song and me sucking. This ends up sounding pretty much like everything else I do, so maybe it's not the amph. Hmm...

So anyway, is this dark? Seems like it to me, but I'm coming to the conclusion that's just what I like. For this, every knob but the master (at 9:00) was at 12:00. I used my Agile and had tone at 10, in the middle position, with both volume knobs at 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Please pardon the boring song and me sucking. This ends up sounding pretty much like everything else I do, so maybe it's not the amph. Hmm...

So anyway, is this dark? Seems like it to me, but I'm coming to the conclusion that's just what I like. For this, every knob but the master (at 9:00) was at 12:00. I used my Agile and had tone at 10, in the middle position, with both volume knobs at 5.
    It's not boring and you're not sucking. But, as far as "dark" sounding, listening to it on computer speakers (and not knowing how you recorded it), it sounds pretty damn good.
    You might try loading up a backing track and playing along with it while standing 20 feet of so in front of the amph. This should give you a fair indication of how it will sound out front.
    Tweaking the settings you should be able to get plenty of bite and not sound dark.
    I liked the clip, btw.
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

I think your amph demo clip sounded much better than the one I did for my H&K!

Seems like a pretty good sounding little amph to me.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

I can see where you might think it sounds dark and mid rangey without a lot of treble sparkle. This could be because you just got it and will grow into it as you bond with it and learn about the amp, where it's hot spots are and how to draw it out to your satisfaction. Also, it could be that it needs to be cranked up more to bloom, rather than be held back by a turned down volume or gain knob. It sounds like it would be really good for power chords without any further following of the learning curve and the Agile definitely sounds great. I also like your rythym.

With some time you might get this amp to sound way better. I hope my new Peavey 6505+ sounds as good when it comes in tomorrow. I need to learn how to post clips.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast