Thread: Martin DCX1KE

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin DCX1KE

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D...15-i1148320.gc

So I'm looking at a new acoustic preferably under the 1K range. Saw this at guitarcenter but haven't heard of it before. Seems the body is some sort of laminate and a sitka spruce top. when i got my ibanez EWC30A SERLG (what a mouthful) it sounded great at the store and felt great, but now playability is getting worse.

http://newellsmusiconline.com/shop/p...=271901&priv=0

I'm assuming its because we are close to 100% humidity all the time.

1. Reviews on this guitar?
    2. Thoughts???
    3. Suggestions?
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like

Monkus, I tried four of them in different stores and wouldn't have traded my my Carvin C350 for any of them. I have found the recent Martin guitars that are under $1800.00 just don't cut it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Monkus View Post
    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Martin-D...15-i1148320.gc

So I'm looking at a new acoustic preferably under the 1K range. Saw this at guitarcenter but haven't heard of it before. Seems the body is some sort of laminate and a sitka spruce top. when i got my ibanez EWC30A SERLG (what a mouthful) it sounded great at the store and felt great, but now playability is getting worse.

I'm assuming its because we are close to 100% humidity all the time.

1. Reviews on this guitar?
    2. Thoughts???
    3. Suggestions?
    If you have the chance get a Martin D1 I have one since ten years and it's one of the best sounding guitar I ever possessed and it clearly stands in front of many other brands like Guild, Takamine or even some Larrivée
    Guitars:
    1978 Fender Telecaster Thinline Custom USA, New Nash TL-72 Thinline Telecaster, 1965 Harmony Meteor, H71, 1986 Fender Telecaster Esquire MIJ, New Martin J-41 Special, 1933 National Duolian, 1941, New Eastwood Mandocaster 12 strings

Amps:
    Tweed Vibrolux Custom Denis Manlay, 1976 Fender Deluxe Reverb Silverface

Post Thanks / Like

I've never played one, but I used to work with someone who bought one of the Martin X series. He was a beginner, but I think he took his time in playing a bunch of guitars and the guitar with the tone he liked best was this one.

If memory serves, they call the material HPL (high pressure laminate) for the guitar construction. I think there's also something funky about the fretboard, like maybe it's a composite or polymer or something. Can't quite remember. Maybe it's the "Stratabond" neck that I'm thinking of?

I think the whole thing was supposed to be an attempt to find ways to make acoustics without solid tops, both from a sustainability standpoint and to sell to the cheaper market.

Someone on here said that they owned one and liked it when I asked about the X series previously. The one thing I would say is that if you're having problems due to humidity, you might want to consider a non-solid-top acoustic. Blasphemy, I know, but it might be a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like

I picked up one of the X series Martins. Made in Mexico. Originally I got the dreadnought DX1AE, but I took it back due to the size and got the 000X1AE instead. Both are the same price ($499.99). Acoustic/electric hidden inside the body, from the looks of it, you will need to loosten the strings or when you change the strings, you should change the 9v battery at the same time. It has a real nice smell (like wood, duhh LOL!), and a real nice sound to it, though, the dreadnought did have a much nicer sound. If Fender can do it, why can't Martin? Fender has been making guitars in Mexico for many, many years...
    The body is made of a HPL (I suspect it stands for High Pressure Laminate), a solid Spruce top, some kind of composite fingerboard and bridge, it feels really nice. It has no inlays on the fingerboard, and when I was picking it out, I thought that might give me problems, but with the side markers I don't have any problems with not having fingerboard inlays. Overall, a very nice guitar, very well made though, it is my first acoustic guitar, so I'm not exactly any kind of expert.

A questions for those of you that have accoustic guitars and have had them for a while: Proper care storage- I have my electrics in stands, I only have 2 gig bags (one is a Godin, really heavy duty, the other is a Road Runner, kinda heavy duty). For my acoustic, I picked up a Road Runner gig bag (like the electric one, kina heavy duty) and a humidifier (a planet waves with the little sponge in it, sits in the sound hole between the D and G strings). Obvously, the hard case and electronic humidifier would be best, but problaby another $250 on top of the guitar price and I just didn't have that kind of money. Did a make a useful purchase, or did I waste my money on what I got? Any suggestions?

Thanks all.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies guys !!!
    “Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It’s the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use.” Stevie Ray Vaughan

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just a thought here. I purchased my solid R/W Spruce SPD-16TR (see here: http://www.thefret.net/showthread.ph...light=spd-16tr ) for just over a thousand, and if you looked, I bet you could find one out there now. Or if not that, you could get a good used D-16 gloss top for under a grand all day long. I would go that route myself. The some of the solid satin martins are pretty nice. I know Tone2theBone loved his when he got it. But with used prices what they are, for the same money, I would take my time and find a good used D-16 or up.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

@Monkus - Exactly how is the playability "worse"?

Post Thanks / Like

The strings are to me getting stiffer when in tune. I use the same gauge that was on the guitar when i bought it. It also seems that the action is getting slightly higher.