Thread: Michael Landau Group - "Live"

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Michael Landau Group - "Live"

Tip for a great live guitar album - get Mike Landau Group's "Live". I just got in the mail yesterday, and I'm digging it hard. Michael Landau is a great guitar player with a tone among the best I've ever heard. His playing is tasteful and inspirational. I can hear lots of Hendrix influences and also quite a bit of jazz in his playing.

His gear include Custom Audio Electronics amps, Marshall Silver Jubilee, Tom Anderson and Suhr guitars, Gibson SG, Arion SCH-1, Lovepedal, but I'm sure the gear changes quite often for a guy of this caliber.

Players on the album are: Scott Kinsey, Jimmy Johnson, Gary Novak, Toss Panos, Ronald Bruner JR, Chris Roy, Chuck Kavooras. You can get this album at www.abstractlogix.com.

To listen to some of this album's songs, go to Landau's Myspace page - the first song is really awesome - Worried Life Blues, a song I've heard Robben Ford play too.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool. I will check out this album. Sounds like one that I should listen to. I really like Roben Ford and it sounds like he is in that same kind of approach to the blues.

Thanks for the tip.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

I think you will like this album, Jim. This music is really cool with lotsa guitars. There's sometimes Hendrix-style, sometimes blues, sometimes jazz, sometimes rock - and all with fantastic guitar tones. He uses a vibe effect on one song that is really sweet sounding, and he seems to like the tremolo-effect too, and it certainly sounds great. The whole band has an unreal live sound. Bob Bradshaw certainly knows how to record live acts!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I'd heard the Michael Landau was a top session musician for a long time. I used to read about him in magazines.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, and he's a lot more raw sounding that you'd think, for being a top session player. He's got his own "vibe" (no pun intended ).

Post Thanks / Like

I think that every single guitar effects unit that I have had included some kind of "Landau something" patch. Truly remarkable sound.

*adding to must buy sticker*
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve heard a lot about this guy, but never quite went after it.. I`m gonna check him out. Thanks Rob.

Post Thanks / Like

I been listening a lot to this album. I love it! Man, what a tone this guy has!

Go to his myspace page to have a listen and come back here and tell me what you think. Please.

Post Thanks / Like

NEW! - A fresh-brewed interview with Mike is available here - http://www.abstractlogix.com/interview_view.php?idno=95

Mike doesn't usually give many interviews, so this is great!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, guys - have listened to Mike's playing on Worried Life Blues http://www.abstractlogix.com/audio/l...rap/track1.mp3 ? Too bad this is just a part of the solo. He used to have the whole song on his myspace page.

However, check out his tone and playing on http://www.myspace.com/michaellandau - click The Sun - gotta love that! Fuzz and vibe and screaming guitar!

He vocals may not be the best, but listen to his lead playing! Wow. Can the man play... To me, Landau is the closest thing we have to Jimi Hendrix in our time.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't access myspace from verk. He's a man for playing Jubes. *thumbs up*
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Vat? No myspace from verk? Geez.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys, please check this out - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgbyi...elated&search=

I love it.