Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
On guitar picks and picking (and a new blog)

Thread: On guitar picks and picking (and a new blog)

Post Thanks / Like

Cool On guitar picks and picking (and a new blog)

I just started a new YouTube channel and video blog. I got burnt out on doing the full lessons every week but I dig doing the videos so I changed format, and my old channel has become a giant bloated mess of videos, gig videos and gear demos. On the new blog there'll be some lessons, gear reviews and just general guitar stuff...I'll also probably put my better gear demos on this channel, too...

Post Thanks / Like

I was asked about a riff I played in the video so that turned into a second lesson that I ended up doing "old school" with printable notation and even a Guitar Pro file:

http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...6-E9-Funk-Riff

It's not really a riff I would play in an actual funk song (it's kind of busy to fit in most grooves) but it is fun to play.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool stuff, lots of people skip over all the different picking techniques out there when doing instructional videos. Its good to find one that doesn't immediately say that their technique is the ONLY way to do something. Your technique is very very clean, hope to reach that level of precision someday.

Coincidentally, I've been using the smaller teardrop picks from Dunlop for a long time. Its always made more sense to me to use picks that are smaller when I essentially choke the pick off so there isn't much showing anyway. Plus, the stiff nature of them makes them ideal for lead playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groverj3 View Post
    Very cool stuff, lots of people skip over all the different picking techniques out there when doing instructional videos. Its good to find one that doesn't immediately say that their technique is the ONLY way to do something. Your technique is very very clean, hope to reach that level of precision someday.

Coincidentally, I've been using the smaller teardrop picks from Dunlop for a long time. Its always made more sense to me to use picks that are smaller when I essentially choke the pick off so there isn't much showing anyway. Plus, the stiff nature of them makes them ideal for lead playing.

Thanks!

There are so many of my favorite players that have such completely different ways of playing that it's impossible to pick out any one approach. I used to be very specific with my students and I still do try and steer them away from things that I know are inefficient no matter how you play but the reality is that there are many ways to skin this particular cat

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good stuff, Mark. I like the direction your blog and new youtube channel are going. Casual, yet very informative and without a bunch of rambling.
    Looking forward to future entries.

For V-picks, I'm going with the red versions to prevent losing them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Good stuff, Mark. I like the direction your blog and new youtube channel are going. Casual, yet very informative and without a bunch of rambling.
    Looking forward to future entries.

For V-picks, I'm going with the red versions to prevent losing them.

Thanks!

the "not rambling" part is the hardest.

Also, Ive set it up as a podcast, too..here is the feed: http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...hp?forumids=58

I'm hoping to have it in the iTunes store, too but I'm still waiting for their review...

Post Thanks / Like

Mark...It is good timing for me that you did this video. I had been wondering lately about how I've been holding the pick, and if the picks I am using are too thick. I like Dunlops as well for their smaller size. What number Dunlop would you regard as medium? I have the "gator grips" in blue 1.14 and green 1.5. I also have a yellow Ultex floating around in a 1.14. What number do you use most often? I have some of the Fender pink clear mediums, just like in your video, but find them to be too floppy. Also, thanks for the funk riff lesson - had fun with that one.
    Guitars: MIM Fender FSR Limited Edition Stratocaster with direct mount pickups, Schecter C-1 Plus, SX SST57 Powder Blue, Alvarez RD8 Accoustic

Amps: Line6 Spidervalve 112

Effects: Digitech Bad Monkey, Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus, GFS Delay, GFS Tuner, Behringer HB01 wah, Line6 Toneport GX, GuitarRig 3

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins View Post
    Mark...It is good timing for me that you did this video. I had been wondering lately about how I've been holding the pick, and if the picks I am using are too thick. I like Dunlops as well for their smaller size. What number Dunlop would you regard as medium? I have the "gator grips" in blue 1.14 and green 1.5. I also have a yellow Ultex floating around in a 1.14. What number do you use most often? I have some of the Fender pink clear mediums, just like in your video, but find them to be too floppy. Also, thanks for the funk riff lesson - had fun with that one.

The DUnlop number that matches the Fender Medium is .73 and the heavy is .88. I'm not sure what the Jazz III's are but they are pretty heavy....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the funk riff follow up lesson video. I loves me some funk and need all I can get.
    http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...3-E9-Funk-Riff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jasongins View Post
    Mark...It is good timing for me that you did this video. I had been wondering lately about how I've been holding the pick,
    +1! I've have been realizing that I really need to concentrate on the right hand and clean up my movement patterns and control. I was just puzzling over where to find some good info, and ...VOILA! Thanks!
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, I think that my question is how do you create/maintain a consistent attack/stroke when combining the choked pick with the wrist motion - other than just practicing it a lot! Any tips/tricks/techniques/suggestions?
    "GAS never sleeps" - Gil Janus

"Now you got to pay your dues. Get that axe and play the blues." - Spudman

Gear: Epiphone Sheraton II, Epiphone Wildkat, Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Fender MIM Strat, Tacoma DR-14, Johnson JR-200 resonator; Fender Super Champ XD amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig View Post
    Thanks for the funk riff follow up lesson video. I loves me some funk and need all I can get.
    http://markweinguitarlessons.com/for...3-E9-Funk-Riff
    Actually that one wasn't planned but a new guy at my place asked about one of the riffs that I played so I made it another lesson...it's not really something I would play in a funk tune since it's really busy but it is a fun riff to play so it ends up in half of my videos

Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    +1! I've have been realizing that I really need to concentrate on the right hand and clean up my movement patterns and control. I was just puzzling over where to find some good info, and ...VOILA! Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by tjcurtin1 View Post
    Actually, I think that my question is how do you create/maintain a consistent attack/stroke when combining the choked pick with the wrist motion - other than just practicing it a lot! Any tips/tricks/techniques/suggestions?
    A lot of it is just pure repetition. I have my students drill the heck out of this book: http://astore.amazon.com/markweingui...ail/0634011685 and we really focus on the right hand consistency....you have to realize that the right and left hands need to be a little independent of each other and that the right hand is playing every subdivision in a groove and not jsut the parts that the ear hears...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice stuff as always. After having spent a good deal of time on lead type stuff these last couple months due the band project I was in, I am ready to get back into my right hand and rhythm work again. Nice to see your new blog touching on things I had started. For those of you who have not looked at Mark's lessons and book, I really recommend it as he spends time encouraging students to do the correct, foundational things in the beginning, especially with regard to right hand and rhythm for me. Great stuff.

Re: the picks, that was cool! Your selection of picks kind of tracked the route I have followed in terms of material, though I have tended to stay in the Fender Heavy equivalent weights mostly. Started with Fender heavy tort picks, then a long time with Tortex green and some purple, and have been loving the Ultex now for a while, though I use the regular shape rather than the jazz shape. I should try a pack of those jazz shaped ultex ones next time.

In closing, listening to your opening technique demos points out to me what I STILL need to work on. Loosening that grip and wrist and forearm, and hopefully getting some better velocity and consistency/fluidity in my motion. Thanks for the reminder!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw View Post
    Nice stuff as always. After having spent a good deal of time on lead type stuff these last couple months due the band project I was in, I am ready to get back into my right hand and rhythm work again. Nice to see your new blog touching on things I had started. For those of you who have not looked at Mark's lessons and book, I really recommend it as he spends time encouraging students to do the correct, foundational things in the beginning, especially with regard to right hand and rhythm for me. Great stuff.

Re: the picks, that was cool! Your selection of picks kind of tracked the route I have followed in terms of material, though I have tended to stay in the Fender Heavy equivalent weights mostly. Started with Fender heavy tort picks, then a long time with Tortex green and some purple, and have been loving the Ultex now for a while, though I use the regular shape rather than the jazz shape. I should try a pack of those jazz shaped ultex ones next time.

In closing, listening to your opening technique demos points out to me what I STILL need to work on. Loosening that grip and wrist and forearm, and hopefully getting some better velocity and consistency/fluidity in my motion. Thanks for the reminder!

Thanks!

I'm not sure if I mentioned it here or not but I tend to focus my lessons on the things that I'm always concerned about in my playing...most of the time I hit on a lesson idea after climbing the mountain myself.