Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Gibson Day....w00t w00t!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool V ! Enjoy that sucker. It looks nice in that faded finish
    I have an old '75 I got new. It used to be my #1 but doesn't see daylight enough these days ~
    I've been an Albert fan since age 13, saw him live in a little club back in the late 60's and tuning was never one of Albert's strong points. Gotta' love him though : )

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by progrmr View Post
    I love iPhone...fired up my Amazon app, searched and got the DVD/CD set for $13.56...can't wait to see two legends working together.
    That DVD was filmed in my home town Hamilton, Ontario by a local TV station CHCH TV. I saw the original broadcast back in 83. It was called "In Session", and had several programs that year with many top groups. I was an Albert King fan way back in the late 60s and early 70s so I was all over that broadcast. At the time I was amazed at how much SRV had copied Albert, but added his "thang" to it. I finally got the DVD a month ago. There are some songs that are on the In Session Cd that they left off the DVD. I will they had them all.
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

W. Branch of Susquehanna River, Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quoting Wikipedia, it is possible that some of both ideas may be included in the truth:

"He also used very unorthodox tunings . . . A "less is more" type blues player, he was known for his expressive "bending" of notes, a technique characteristic of blues guitarists."

Also another unknown author states the commonly known: "Albert tried his best to keep his unorthodox method of tuning his guitar a secret."

His extensive use of one finger power or bar chords suggests that he was tuning for tone, and if you watch this video he gets a wide range of tones that may in part be the result of his use of "unorthodox tunings". He also does a lot of bends and that could have been requiring a lot of tuning. Watching the video it seems like he is doing more than just tuning up - it's possible though, and I wouldn't mind seeing some more written about this, especially from primary sources. I've never seen anyone go out of tune that much on multiple strings.
    Duffy Bolduc
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"Now all the things that use to mean so much to me has got me old before my time." G. Allman, "Old Before My Time", Hittin' the Note.

Major changes to guitars and amps, to be updated soon.

Fiance - Supportive of musical art

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet V fo-sho
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12